banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-06-2003, 04:04 PM   #1
aircargonews@mac.com

Lightfoot is a poet and performer of extraordinary merit. He is an essayist and lyrical painter of words.
It's touching even reassuring that his tours and appearances(last one in early 2002 before he fell ill) have been targeted to places such as Sandusky Ohio and other selected smaller venues in Michigan and Canada.
Lightfoot performs where he wrote what he sings about,places where"the big steel rail can carry (him )home'.
That he is comfortable at 64 enveloping himself in a life well lived ,now retreating from the public eye to gain some anonimity as he regains strength is only expected.
You need only read the lyrics.
We can hope for one more song or applaude his unforgettable musical canvas of thirty plus years.
This guy stuck a needle into a vein and sat down and gave the world everything of life and love and yearning, including a view through the bottom of a shot glass.
That ability, to bring "it "all out , when" it" takes over is what is meant when you hear the words "soul of a genius".
At a time when other sixtiesh rockers are raking in hundreds of millions, Lightfoot in retrospect is as clear and honest in the space between his words and music and life as any artist ever.
That is tremendously uplifting when you think about it.
For many years the "sweetning" or extra chords of string instruments added to Lightfoots work were there to popularize his sound for a wide audience.
But now looking back,and forward as someone who never saw him perform as I spin the old records ,ithe plain power of words and music still packs power.
Sundown may be a icon for lite music bunch wishing to popularize,but for me on a cold January 6th,2002, Lightfoot's Early Morning Rain is how wished all my friends Happy New Year at www. aircargonews.com.(Up 1/7/02).
I enjoy all the music including, everything by the way.
It just gets bettter.
Maybe he will return to the juke joints where between sets everybody has a couple of shooters together.
But for crying out loud maybe all who love his work and by association the man himself should just say thanks.
What we have now will never go away.
Geoffrey Arend
Old 01-06-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
aircargonews@mac.com

Lightfoot is a poet and performer of extraordinary merit. He is an essayist and lyrical painter of words.
It's touching even reassuring that his tours and appearances(last one in early 2002 before he fell ill) have been targeted to places such as Sandusky Ohio and other selected smaller venues in Michigan and Canada.
Lightfoot performs where he wrote what he sings about,places where"the big steel rail can carry (him )home'.
That he is comfortable at 64 enveloping himself in a life well lived ,now retreating from the public eye to gain some anonimity as he regains strength is only expected.
You need only read the lyrics.
We can hope for one more song or applaude his unforgettable musical canvas of thirty plus years.
This guy stuck a needle into a vein and sat down and gave the world everything of life and love and yearning, including a view through the bottom of a shot glass.
That ability, to bring "it "all out , when" it" takes over is what is meant when you hear the words "soul of a genius".
At a time when other sixtiesh rockers are raking in hundreds of millions, Lightfoot in retrospect is as clear and honest in the space between his words and music and life as any artist ever.
That is tremendously uplifting when you think about it.
For many years the "sweetning" or extra chords of string instruments added to Lightfoots work were there to popularize his sound for a wide audience.
But now looking back,and forward as someone who never saw him perform as I spin the old records ,ithe plain power of words and music still packs power.
Sundown may be a icon for lite music bunch wishing to popularize,but for me on a cold January 6th,2002, Lightfoot's Early Morning Rain is how wished all my friends Happy New Year at www. aircargonews.com.(Up 1/7/02).
I enjoy all the music including, everything by the way.
It just gets bettter.
Maybe he will return to the juke joints where between sets everybody has a couple of shooters together.
But for crying out loud maybe all who love his work and by association the man himself should just say thanks.
What we have now will never go away.
Geoffrey Arend
Old 01-08-2003, 02:12 PM   #3
LizB

Geoffrey,

Exquisitly and beautifully said!!

------------------
lam
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:12 PM   #4
LAM3346E

Geoffrey,