banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #26
Oh, Linda

Default Re: GL songs which reference, of all things, food! A new quizzer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Song: Steel Rail Blues

Now I ain't had a home cooked meal and Lord I need one now ??????????
Works!
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #27
Oh, Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I'm still confused as to why Rainbow Trout isn't an answer..it's a food..
and if I follow along the rule as stated then several of the subsequent submissions wouldn't qualify..
but then again..I may be wrong..
Most submissions thus far work just fine, but agree we've got a few that aren't quite used in the context of a food, like Biscuit City. Yes it's a bread roll of sorts but not necessarily in this song. You could argue lobster pot and gin bottle too but since they are a food and beverage respectively I'd let them slide even if it's the container being referred to. Candy apples and oats are great, but do people really eat hay?

Chicken To Go works just fine since it is used in the context of a food, all be it one you can conveniently pick up through a drive thru.

Now as for Rainbow Trout, this littly fishy is used as a metaphor for a woman in the song with the same title, not in the context of a food. Since Gordon incorporated many examples of fish in his songwriting there are many examples that will work perfectly well and I suspect we'll be seeing submissions shortly.

Does the above make sense? If it's too confusing we can say "let 'er rip" to any and all with or without context of food. As long as the song was indeed written by GL himself. What does everyone think?

P.S. My faves so far...."home cooked meal," You just can't beat 'em--and chicken to go! (never knew of that one before!!)

Last edited by Oh, Linda; 10-15-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #28
Oh, Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I'll take 2 coffees please (black)

Song : Lazy Mornin'

Lyric : Such fun, coffee's in the kitchen, woman on the run

I took time to make town and stock a pint or two, the most delicious brew ~GL
Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #29
Jesse Joe

Song: I'd Rather Press On

Wouldn't it feel fine--to return to the women and the wine
And all of the sunshine that we knew
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #30
fezo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
So far,all I can find is ... "Makin' Hay With No >Gravy< , brings the good folks down.

Hay & gravy??!! YUK!!!
Oh, I'd never eat hay without gravy....

Home From the Forest - "And the wine was runnin' low"

Rosanna - "The dinner's served at eight o'clock on time
And all is well by nine"
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 AM   #31
BendRick

There is a Gordon Lightfoot song where we actually hear him consuming a beverage. It's halfway into the song Cabaretwhich is the last song in the Summer Side of Life album/CD. It is the sound of a pull-tab on a aluminum can, which could've contained a beer or cola beverage, he drinks it, and does the drink-sigh sound we all know.

Last edited by BendRick; 10-25-2008 at 12:13 AM.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #32
jj

Face of a Thousand People:

'bodies clothed in uniforms, to REAP THE HARVEST of their pride'

ok, this may violate rule 1.1a, but i couldnt resist

i'm still in Thanksgiving mode (well, my liver is still aching)

The Watchman's Gone:

would 'washing the bullpoop down' qualify in any shape or form?
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #33
mandoann

Would this one count?

Now the dinner's served and the cards are dealt

from Ballad of Yarmouth Castle ~gl

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #34
joveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
Face of a Thousand People:

The Watchman's Gone:

would 'washing the bullpoop down' qualify in any shape or form?

you eat bullpoop? !
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #35
Oh, Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendRick View Post
There is a Gordon Lightfoot song where we actually hear him consuming a beverage. It's halfway into the song Cabaretwhich is the last song in the Summer Side of Life album/CD. It is the sound of a pull-tab on a aluminum can, which could've contained a beer or cola beverage, he drinks it, and does the drink-sigh sound we all know.
Is that what that is?? I always thought it was a cigarette lighter (the kind with the flip top) and the sound of taking a puff !! Who knew.....Sounds like this one could easily fit in the other thread of misunderstood lyrics, talk about a misunderstood sound
Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #36
Oh, Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoann View Post
Would this one count?

Now the dinner's served and the cards are dealt

from Ballad of Yarmouth Castle ~gl

Yes. Dinner=meal (technically)=food and used in context of food. So I'm going to say yes.

Now as for that bull&#%@ I don't think so... but what a line.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #37
Don Quixote

I'm surprised that B'stone forgot in his own song..."And the sounds of the beans boiling through the evergreeens sure do please a hungry man."
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #38
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Linda View Post
Is that what that is?? I always thought it was a cigarette lighter (the kind with the flip top) and the sound of taking a puff !! Who knew.....Sounds like this one could easily fit in the other thread of misunderstood lyrics, talk about a misunderstood sound
It, The Great Mystery Sound Theory(ies), by quorum vote, goes all the way back to alt.music.lightfoot in AOL chat days,c 1998 (?+/-) been ascribed to opening a canned beverage, quaffing it, and ahhh sound of enjoyment, along with the infamous Zippo Lighter and first drag.... of the chat in those days - and one poor person who was ribbed mercilessly for years over it.. despite our essential concurrence -but we gave him a customized T-shirt !- and various sundry other theories...lol.... BTW - see the Stonewall vistory - Cabaret - you'll see the Lighter, the Beer can, the glass of beer; and.. the cigarette dragged upon..

REDEEMING ON-THREAD ENTRY:

Lyric:
Remember when Mr. Barnum presented Jenny Lind
They named a
candy after her, a circus after him
Song:'A Lesson in Love' - gl
Old 10-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #39
Jesse Joe

Quote:
This would be a wonderful question to ask Gord, because it can very well be a cigarette lighter (the kind with flip top) and the sound of taking a puff... That is also what I always thought it was... Sure sounds like it...
Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #40
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
It, The Great Mystery Sound Theory(ies), by quorum vote, goes all the way back to alt.music.lightfoot in AOL chat days,c 1998 (?+/-) been ascribed to opening a canned beverage, quaffing it, and ahhh sound of enjoyment, along with the infamous Zippo Lighter and first drag.... of the chat in those days - and one poor person who was ribbed mercilessly for years over it.. despite our essential concurrence -but we gave him a customized T-shirt !- and various sundry other theories...lol.... BTW - see the Stonewall vistory - Cabaret - you'll see the Lighter, the Beer can, the glass of beer; and.. the cigarette dragged upon..

REDEEMING ON-THREAD ENTRY:

Lyric:
Remember when Mr. Barnum presented Jenny Lind
They named a candy after her, a circus after him
Song:'A Lesson in Love' - gl

Was this actually solved ?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #41
Oh, Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Was this actually solved ?
I think it's still hotly debated! So I don't think so.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #42
Oh, Linda

OK folks!! Just a few quick stats on this one.

We've had a total of 35 unique (non-duplicative songs) mentions in all from 11 Corfid members. RM is leading the way with 9, followed by Jesse Jo with 5 and joveski with 4.

The beverages outnumber foods 19 to 16. Let's start with the beverages: wine and liquor (various) top the list with five mentions each, followed by beer/ale at 4. As for the foods, fruits have the most mentions (4), including apples, wild strawberries, blackberry and candy apples.

Thanks to everyone who's participated in such a short period of time! I'm sure there are many more......hmmmm...let me think.....

Last edited by Oh, Linda; 10-18-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #43
RM

Quote:
We've had a total of 34 unique (non-duplicative songs) mentions in all from 11 Corfid members. RM is leading the way with 9, followed by Jesse Jo with 5 and joveski with 4.
I'd like to wager $10 on RM to win.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #44
RM

Song : I'll Tag Along

Lyric :

Cups of tea and all of that Zen
Old 10-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #45
Oh, Linda

Quote:
Song : I'll Tag Along

Lyric :

Cups of tea and all of that Zen
. . . and another "tea" from Black Day in July, "and sip your cup of tea."

That makes 3 teas, 2 coffees. Cream or sugar?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #46
geodeticman.5

Quote:
I think it's still hotly debated! So I don't think so.

Hi Linda - lol... when I mentioned that it was rather exhaustively examined over time, back to alt.music.lightfoot, and a "de facto quorum vote" established (whatever) a semi-offical concurrence (on the famous mystery sound in Cabaret) - I for one think that just because over about a one month period a majority of alt.music.lightfoot "agreed" it was (whatever)-it does not make it so, either ! -

There were" prominent members" - (snicker at the hubris) opinions, leading to a "don't argue over it more" consensus lol.... it is still of course open to debate. It has been said Gordon stated what it was once, but that smacks of Lightfoot urban/rural-sprout legend, versus citeable quote.

When I listen I hear a can-pop-top (to me) opening, the quaff, ahhh!, and what sounds then like a lighter (Zippo) followed by a first drag and sound of relief, as I recall. And the vistory from Stonewall I think is taking a "here are all the most prevalent entries for the sound" approach, in order that they not posture as siding with one or more "consensus" answers (phooeey) - I agree its open until Lightfoot himself says it is 'this or that" LOL - No matter what I say here, which I intend to be balanced, and casual, there will be a long-timer back to alt.musc that "recalls the (opposite of whatever I say) lol.......

Extensive or minimal posts from that chat rom can be on-line here if you want Linda, on the sound, (and some really hilarious takes) and the mercilessly ribbed member that was deemed a sacreligious 3 days or so behind the "consesus" lol.... was I believe "Telekidd". I did a (surprise) satire of the whole thing and ...ego... by tyeing it into Aliens, or Bigfoot Running Walmart by reverse Engineering Zayre's Store in Zone #51 ( cheapest cr8* discount store in Ohio,,,Wes U remember ?) and it was extricated to my embarrassment and posted all over the web as an "atomic" tag of sorts billing the fun and talk in alt.musc.lightfoot ! - the one about Walmart Aliens...lol....

I agree - there is no such thing as a closed subject on subjective opinion re: Lightfoot songs, unless the case as I mentioned (that I THINK... did occur) takes place - The Man making a"preferably" written quote" - if someone has there Songbook "booklet" - I don't its packed away in moving boxes...
I THINK there is a quote from GL on it... - that is 'not-atypically' leaving room for thought, as he tends to leave for in his woprk , as though they are INDEED akin to paintings , which most of us would say they are similar too...lyrical tapestry, etc.... AND GL has been paraphrased as saying on may of his "more ethereal songs' eg "Is There Anyone Home", and 'Too Many Clues in this Room' ( a REAL MIND-BENDER).

Then there's the ego-and-the -id one-armed jugglers of "A Lesson in Love" - one many find tedious, melody in specific ;repetituous I believe I hear frequently, but I LIKE IT.. the lyrics.. the Freudian/Jung'ian/Roger'ian et al models of psycho-analyses therapy ( and THOSE are old-school) - now there are "officially" (I hate that word lol ) around 28 per a family-member's Dr. And, he said 'do not have (your family member) treated IN THIS CASE brand-new fast-track HMO-driven Psychological Doctorate (PD. i think is the new rubric) versus the whole nine-yards(*) PhD in Psychology "real" - hope I offend no one by that - my mother is one(PhD) so there is a family bias to her opinion, and my family member's former P.C.P's as well, when it came up in the past, who he said make SURE they( go to a ) full-fledged PhD n Psych - ""he*8 with what the HMO says max billable per hour us per hour is, precluding a real PhD Psychologist, versus the "fast-track" = less $/billable hour in practice....gosh... all that from ethereal songs lol - notably GL's comment on a "walk down shrink alley" - from A Lesson...

Note: * 'Whole nine yards" - looked that phrase up and it is thought to mean "the WWII (gattling guns) that came with belts of ammo it that were yards long, and if the enemy/threat was sudfficient, they'd "give 'em the 'whole nine yards' of ammo ! Yechh military eupemisms when we don't even know it lol... but I DO like John Wayne's funny "poster sold on the web" that show him in full WWII regalia, holiing a long gun pointed high, and a from his character in "The Sand Pebbles" I believe, a quote bubbled over his image, saying "Life is tuff....and its..tuffer.. if yer' stupid..." lol.....

I'd agree - renew the sound !, give fresh minds and opinions in a food/beverage subject for sure - and if you'd like - it is fun reading to look at case-closers on it in the alt.mus chat, and humbler posts as well about it take place.....and if u really want to raz me... the Walmart Alien theory !

Lets rasie the Titanic - Zippo et al - on equal merit again ! herehere ! ( I lean toward the sound of: a diet pepsi Lime and a zippo lighting a cigarette"

Go for it !

Oh Linda - I'll be curious to hear what you think of the after your successful Q175 submit: a 3-POST DISCUSSION OF LYRICS GAME HOSTING THOUGHTS - an attempt at the lighter side of lyrics games......and lyrics musing for all as well...it was too long (imagine that! @(23,000 characters) I wrote just thinking out loud (oh boy..) after your successful Q175 submit in Inedibles Lyrics, - too long to put in a PM (5000 character max)and even thread posts R 10,000 max, so I had to split my dubious ruminations into 3 (three !) max posts in Lyrics to examine the various thoughts from both sides now of lyrics and trying to help ppl have a fun time.... it grew into a tongue-in-cheek study on corfid-human nature....(ohH boooy...LOL C what U think OK ?) your name is in it ! ur famous 1 well, sort of.... I am going to change my geodeticman.5 name to Max Post.... lol....10k Characters all the way...all well developed characitures.... he he

REDEEMING (I hope) on-thread submission:

Song:'Cherokee Bend'

Lyics: per Lightfoot! Wayne Francis

And they lived for a time that way
But the
food run low and the meat went bad
And she said to the boy one day
- ~gl

Q for Linda re: above submit: is not meat a no- brainer..? , IAE - But what of the meta-food word 'food' lol - all joking aside, I've a feeling its too generic...not a valid submit: no argument here....thoughts ? Thank you

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 10-19-2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: missing left bracket for color end of -gl
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 AM   #47
geodeticman.5

Quote:
I'd like to wager $10 on RM to win.
Ron = I'm in shhhhh ! Char will see it ..and you know her no wagers policy - cover story - we were offering $10 -a -pop charity Hi-Protein Meal-replacement wafers fo rthe needy..... waFERS NOT wagers shhh OK ? lol.....
Old 10-19-2008, 02:22 AM   #48
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
Ron = I'm in shhhhh ! Char will see it ..and you know her no wagers policy
Oh Geez........I forgot all about that.......wish me well.........
Old 10-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #49
Jesse Joe

Song: May I

And if you don't say may I, then I'll pass the cake around
And I won't give you any, but you won't make a sound
You don't eat soap(?), anyhow

While you're at the spindry, I'll pass the pie around
But you won't make a sound
You don't eat blackbird(?) anyhow

Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater
Old 10-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #50
charlene

I'm watching you boys..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote