banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Testforum

Old 01-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #26
Kerstin

Default Re: Trucker The Cat.

Hi Yuri,
I like those videos. Thanks for posting. We saw King Crimson at the Canyon CLub in Agoura Hills in 2006, I think. Took me a while to get into them, though. For an old "Bluegrasser" like me Jethro Tull was a lot easier to get used to. My husband is the progressive rock person.

Funny how a thread about cats can lead to progressive rock.....
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #27
Yuri

Kerstin - Thank Jessie Joe for those fantastic Crimson videos as I enjoyed watching them as much as you did.

Nightingale - King Crimson will undeniably appeal to some people and leave others dumfounded. Court Of The Crimson King and Epithath are from their very early days when they played some very esoteric rock songs. Today Crimson has evolved and their music is often described as complex textures, soundscapes that are almost mathematically precise in nature. Confused? Try listening to Thrak for an example. Fantastic musicians but definitely for those looking for something different. I've had the pleasure of seeing them numerous times over the years, several times at Massey.

'Mountain' was (and is) a "power" trio rock band (originally 4 members) out of MA & NY. They were often compared to 'Cream' and early 'Blue Cheer'. In fact Mountain's bassist, Felix Pappalardi, produced 'Cream' in addition to performing on their albums and writing some of their tunes.
Mountain remains one of my all time favorite rock bands, notorious for playing raw "in your face" power rock but also have a few gentler ballads.
Everyone has heard ‘Mountain’ although few realize it. Their most famous song is probably Mississippi Queen whose distinctive intro made the ‘cow bell’ famous.

Under the title of “It’s A Small World”. There is a connection between the hard rock band ‘Mountain’ and Gordon Lightfoot’s gentle ballads. Musician David Rea co-wrote Mississippi Queen and also as Corfidian Valerie McGee writes on her wonderful web site “David Rea played guitar on Lightfoot’s first album in 1965, featuring great songs such as Ribbon Of Darkness, Early Morning Rain and The Long River".

Mississippi Queen
(Album Recording - new art interpretation)

Mississippi Queen
c1970 Archival Footage

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Yuri; 01-16-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #28
Yuri

King Crimson - The later years...
Lots of great musicians passed through 'Crimson' over the years - from Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake & Palmer), Peter Sinfield, John Wetton of various bands including 'Uriah Heep' and many others. The following clip is from more recent years. Note the unusual line-up of instruments. Not too many tour with two full drum kits and two bassists. The line-up on this video include guitar virtuoso and recluse Robert Fripp, guitarist Adrien Belew, Trey Gunn on a 10 string "touch" bass made by Warr Guitars and studio bassist Tony Levin on a conventional 4 string. Drummers are the incredible Bill Bruford (had a short stint with 'Yes') and Pat Mastelleto.
Quite different from Court Of The Crimson King or Epithah posted by Jesse Joe.

Vroom - From the album Thrak

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #29
Nightingale

Jesse Joe and Yuri,
Thanks so much for the music from YouTube but for some strange reason it won't play for me.
I down loaded all the stuff they had but it still isn't working...pictures come up and it starts to play and then stops and won't go again.
Darn...I was really looking forward to hearing all that.

Maybe I can get my husband to look at the computer tomorrow. I am rather computer stupid and am using his laptop rather than the computer I am used to...it's down for the moment.

Mountain sang "Mississippi Queen"?...I had no idea...lol. I love that song! It's just one of those songs that make me smile for a long time when it comes on the radio. Another one is Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues". How could anyone NOT love those songs?

I am really intrigued with King Crimson now..lol. They sound really interesting and different which I usually like. I also had no idea they were still playing and creating new music. I was under the impression that they were popular years ago and then disbanded.
I can't believe all the different musicians that have played in King Crimson...where the heck have I been while all this was going on....lol.

I had early Beatles and the Beach Boys playing all day. More music that just brings a smile to your face and makes you happy just to sing along.
Great "on the road" songs....Sugarloaf's "Green Eyed Lady" and Tom Petty's "Runnin Down the Dream".
Oh, and of course...The Door's "Light My Fire"...

I will try the YouTube music again and let you know if it works.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:31 AM   #30
Nightingale

Okay, we finally got our new desktop and switched from dial up to broadband.
It's like I have gone from Fred Flintstone to George Jetson in one day...lol.
What a difference.

I like the King Crimson music very much. I can see why everyone always said that I would like this band...their early music reminds me a great deal of the Moody Blues early stuff.
The teenagers around my house laugh when I put in my 60's 'head' music...lol.
I always tell them you had to be smoking or eating brownies to get much out of it.
I know that really isn't true but it makes them wonder a little and think about the fact that I wasn't always this sane and settled...lol.

Thanks to you both for the heads up on King Crimson.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote