banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
youngstranger

Default Miguel Tab

I've become a bit more obsessed with this song since seeing the BBC version that F to Am change just sounds great with the capo on. Has anyone got any idea what the proper picking pattern for this song is ? or care to take a stab at it.

I've started to pick around these chords which gets the Miguel sound but in a crude way.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
jj

Default Re: Miguel Tab

a few of our members have taken a stab at it, behold:

i believe tim was contemplating scoring his fine arrangement

...notice they spelled it MIQUEL in the BBC Concert menu?
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
fezo

I like the way he works as much of Red's part in there as he can while holding down Gord's basic picking pattern. I do the same sort of thing but not as well. I've been playing that song since I first heard it. It takes quite a song for it to stay in your collection of songs you can just play anytime for 40 years. That's not the only Lightfoot song I can say that about - not even teh only one on that album!
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
DawnsMinstrel

Hi Fezo, I think I did tell jj that I was considering working tabs out. I get a lot of requests for tabs and tutorial videos, or at least I did until I put up a FAQ on my channel.

I wish I had the time - especially to help out my fellow lightheads, but I have too many irons in the fire. I haven't even been able to make a video in more than a year. I have a concert coming up too that I'm trying to prepare for. (I just bought a 12-string and thought I might take a stab at CRT or TWOTEF).

To get you started on the intro though, try fingering an F chord with your left index finger on fret 1 of string six, then - fret one of two with the middle finger, two of three with ring finger, and fret three of four with pinky. Now play a reverse arpeggio with your right hand fingers with this string/finger order: 2-r , 3 - m, 4 - i. To get the base note in on the action, play string 6 with the thumb simultaneously with the beginning of the arpeggio (i.e. when striking string two with r.) (Note that to get it sounding like the intro you have to adjust the rhythm of the arpeggio. Sound string six only once every other arpeggio.)

When you've got that working, try moving to an A-minor while maintaining the arpeggio with the right hand. (The base note played with the thumb should now be string 5 played open.) Once You're solid on both of those, to get the dropped note of the intro (which is a b if uncapoed and a c# if capoed at 2) try releasing the index finger that's holding down 2 at fret 1 after the fifth F arpeggio and then again after the fourth Am arpeggio. Then put it back the next time around. Give that a shot and let me know how it goes. Best of luck,

Tim
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
DawnsMinstrel

Just a note: I see I should have addressed my suggestion to youngstranger. Sorry Fezo.

By the, I don't make any claim that the way I play Miguel is the proper way in the sense of it being exactly like the way GL plays it. I just try to get the gist of the overall arrangement, and I don't think in terms of "patterns" per se, because I find them overly restrictive, and they wind up having to be altered in some way anyway when one moves from chord to chord. Instead, I try to understand where the scale notes are relative to a given chord fingering, and then use them where I can without breaking the rhythm, and while trying to maintain as much as possible a steady base.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Hangdog

What concert Mr Dennis? Where are you playing? Tell us more.

a fan....

..hope you are well...................john
Hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
DawnsMinstrel

Hi John,

please, call me Tim! :-), and I am very well, thank you. I hope you are too.

To answer your question; I work at the University of New Hampshire in a building called "Morse Hall." It houses the University's "Center for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space." It so happens that Morse Hall - though not designed to be a music venue - has really great acoustics in its central area which is open across all four floors of the building. As a result it has become usual for the institute to seek out musical acts to perform lunchtime concerts. There used to be a budget for it, but now it's done on a volunteer basis. Strangely, so far this semester, there haven't been any performances, but ...

Late last summer when I was a relatively new hire, I was "caught" carrying my guitar back to my office by the guy who schedules the performances. I had been outside blowing off some steam with it, doing a bit of noodling on the lawn in front of the building. He began to "interrogate" me about what kind of music I play and the next thing I know he's asking if I'd be willing to give a performance. I told him I'd send him a link to my YouTube channel, and that if he liked what he saw I'd agree to perform. He liked it, so I gave a lunchtime concert late last October. He has since asked me to play again, but I haven't yet been given a date.

One potential problem - I have a medical procedure upcoming that could put me out of action for a bit, though I'm not really sure how long, so depending on when I'm asked to play I may have to postpone. Anyway, if there's anyone out there in corfid world who lives nearby and wants to try to make it, I'll make a point of announcing a date when and if I have one.

Thanks for asking, and best wishes, Tim
Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
charlene

I'd be there if I could Tim...have the AV department record it!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
DawnsMinstrel

I'll see what I can do Char. Last time, there was guy who recorded me without even asking. I don't know what became of that.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
Hangdog

So its off to New Hampshire's University folks we go. Very nice news. Now what town is that in. Hope to see you again sometime along the way Tim.
Hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
DawnsMinstrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog View Post
...Now what town is that in. Hope to see you again sometime along the way Tim.
Woops, sorry, I meant to say, it's in Durham, NH.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=f...ed=0CCQQ8gEwAA
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
youngstranger

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply! Going to give it a go.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
teherie

Nice Job Tim.

This one of the few songs I play with thumb and three fingers to get the rolling feel but I don't add the fills up the neck which are a nice touch.

Just wondering and at the risk of sounding like guitar weenie....Are you playing that song on a Martin D-35? The sound hole is blocked so I can't pick up on the bracing to see if there is a three piece back but the binding on the neck looks like it belongs with a D-35 which is ideally suited for a solo performer with a strong voice (i.e. you) and no band behind them.
teherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
DawnsMinstrel

Thanks teherie,

yep. It's a D-35 vintage 1980, purchased new. Good catch on the binding.