banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Tim

Default Greensboro is here, Please post soon!

Right now, Gord and the guys should be on stage wrapping up their first night on the road, and the first concert to welcome Carter. I am so looking forward to reading about how it went. Please post as soon as you can (whoever got there).
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Greensboro is here, Please post soon!

it's all I've been able to think about all night...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
it's all I've been able to think about all night...
all day and all week
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
ellen

Home from Greensboro after a nasty drive though heavy rain. The concert was quite good I thought and I'll post the set list and more thoughts tomorrow/today when i'm not so groggy. Gordon did acknowledge Terry's passing more than once, and introduced Carter. If they weren't quite as tight as we've grown to expect it could be set down to being off stage since last November. I had 3rd row center seats in the pit so was able to observe the verbal and non-verbal communications between band members, from Rick in particular. I thought they settled down nicely as a band and that Carter acquitted himself well. Big smiles all around after IYCRMM. It was a good, responsive & appreciative crowd.
ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #5
Dream Street Rose

Thank you Ellen.

DSR
Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
Tim

Thanks Ellen. Looking forward to your further thoughts -- what Gord said about Terry, how the guitars sounded together, how the band gelled with a new lead guitarist (was Carter in the same spot onstage as Terry always was?), how the crowd reacted, and anything else you care to post.

Thanks again, looking forward to more .........
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
jj

Thank you, Ellen and get some rest

Perhaps Kevin got some video
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
charlene

such a memorable night. i hope there's some video of these 'firsts'...
Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
niffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J View Post
all day and all week

Totally.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
loveabiggibson

It's pretty historic. Can't wait to hear details.
loveabiggibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
mcjunk

This will be a review from a different angle, as I will explain.

I was there last night. I love Gordon Lightfoot, but am not tuned in to the band like most here. I don't own many of his albums, and first saw him in Greensboro 10-12 years ago, right after Painter Passing Through. I bought the CD before the show so I could get familiar with it, and thoroughly love the CD and loved the concert. Heard he was coming to G'boro back in January, so I bought tickets the day they came out for "presale", and bought the Harmony CD. The tickets were in the pit, 3rd row just left of center, so I was probably sitting right next to Ellen.

The reason I brought all that up is to illuminate that I'm not very knowledgable about the individual band members, although I was aware that they had played together forever and were loyal to each other. I was looking forward to hearing the band play some of the stuff from Harmony, and was eager to see those guitar riffs I'd been hearing.

I got to my seat about 2 minutes before the lights dimmed and the band came out. The auditorium was maybe half full. When the band came out, I didn't know who was who, but the one on the right just seemed different for some reason, and I had no idea why. Gordon walked out and smiled to the crowd, waved, and immediately began playing. His eyes were glassy, and his voice was weak. I had heard about his brush with death (from the Harmony liner notes) and that age had taken its toll on his voice, and it seemed to me that between his voice and eyes, he was very frail and weak. I thought it may be the last time I would see him perform live.

The band played 4 or 5 songs, Gordon struggled with his voice and even was seen giving his self a pep talk before a couple of the songs, and there weren't any fancy guitar riffs. I sensed mourning. It was sad and lacked energy, but I had no idea why. After that "intro", Gordon announced the recent "passing to his reward" of his dear friend "Terry", and introduced the new guitarist commenting that he was a "fancy" player, and finally said, "Now let's get to playing some music". I don't remember the song (Ellen will fill in the songlist details), but all of the band members had tears in their eyes as they played. The new guitarist filled in admirably and was well received. The set continued and got better as it wore on. The band broke for a 30 minute intermission.

During the intermisssion, my wife and I pieced together and discussed what had happened. At the start of the set, Gordon had said that it was their first time playing since last November ... but that they had practiced (crowd chuckles). I didn't even realize that it was the first show of their tour until he said that, and therefore realized after the Terry Clements mention that it was their first show without him for maybe 40 years. When we had a chance to put it all together, my wife said she would pray for the band during the next set.

The second set was fantastic. The band had loosened up, Gordons voice had returned (to the Harmony level), and the new guitarist was fabulous. He played all the rifs true to Terry, and had a couple of the sweetest & purest sounding guitars I've ever heard on stage. It was indeed a memorable performance.

I'll leave it up to others to fill in the details, particularly the set lists. I was unfamiliar with many of the songs, as I am guilty of only owning Gord's Gold, and the two latest CDs. IYCRMM was the highlight of the evening, and received the biggest ovation. He only played one song off of Harmony, which was surprising.

It was a great show, and has me thinking about trying to make it to Saturday's show in Raleigh.
mcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
charlene

thanks for your report...
Lightfoot and the band are all still mourning a longtime friend (it's not even been a month since Terry died) and being onstage without him for that first time must have been terribly difficult. It must have really hit home that Terry is gone.
They will soldier on though.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
niffer

How difficult this first show must have been for all of them. It won't really get easier, but at least it will begin to feel more familiar. Thank you for the report.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjunk View Post
Gordon announced the recent "passing to his reward" of his dear friend "Terry" ... all of the band members had tears in their eyes as they played.
I'll tell ya, it brings tears to the eyes just reading that.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
DellroyGM

Amen to that, T.G. Bless whoever posted the encore on YouTube.

-DellroyGM
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:04 AM   #16
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellroyGM View Post
Amen to that, T.G. Bless whoever posted the encore on YouTube.

-DellroyGM
I must be missing something -- is the encore to the Greensboro concert on YouTube? I went searching for, but couldn't find it. Anybody have the URL that they can cut & paste here? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:51 AM   #17
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

this is what i found last night when I read about the encore. I am not sure if this is the video though.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #18
pablowest

Hi Lisa J. Thanks for sharing this video. I really like this one. I think that is the video. :D
pablowest is offline   Reply With Quote