banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Massey Hall setlist Saturday 21 November 2009

after a welcome visit to our room by an old friend Marian from my days in Montreal, including Montreal smoked meat in the Pickle Babrell on Yonge Street
it was a short stroll from our hotel Pantages into the Eaton Centre where a group of nearly 40 gathered at Mr Greenjeans,I missed a chance to chat with Mr Vistory himself Tom.Then it was soon time to reassemble in Massey Hall.
This fourth concert opened with
1. Cotton Jenny
2. Carefree Highway
3. Sea Of Tranquility
4. 14 Karat Gold
5. Minstrel Of The Dawn (Apparently done by request for MandoAnn)
(I always love anticipating Rick's bass guitar entry on this song)
6. Never Too Close
7. A Painter Passing Through
8. Let it Ride (I really noticed Rick's strirring playing of the melody line on his bass at the end of this arrangement)
9. Rainy Day People (raindrops on the fruit of the vine)
10. Shadows
11. Beautiful
12. The Watchman's Gone
13./.14 medley Ribbon Of Darkness/ Sundown
Then a second recounting of meeting an Indian chief of the Chiparee(spelling??) tribe last year who replied to Gord's question of what Gitchigumee meeans by saying "Big Water ..Lake Superior"
15. The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Intermission
The second half began with a second attempt to locate his canoeing companion the Honourable John Turner
16. Did She Mention My Name
then calls for volunteers to make loonie sounds (if you have a good one in the quiet places please
17. Ring Neck Loon
18. Restless
"written for my 8 year old daughter Ingrid who is here"
19. Fine as Fine Can Be
written when I was about to return home for the first time to my newly married wife....your mother Meredith"
20. Waiting For You
21. Make Way For The Lady
22. If You Could Read My Mind
23. Don Quixote
25. Baby Step Back
26. Early Morning Rain
27. Song For a Winter's Night
Encore
28. Blackberry wine

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
KHester

Default Re: Massey Hall setlist Saturday 21 November 2009

John

(Group forgive me if there are some missing vowels (i) the keyboard on the laptop isn't working well ths morning)

Thanks for the setlist. Sounds like everyone had a great tme at Massey. Wish you could have meet wth Tom, to thank him for all the work they did on the Lightfoot vistories that were on youtube. I wonder if Tom ever found another site for them. I regret that I only got a chance to download about ten of them. I think Gordon had the intro to Restless And Fine as Fine Can Be out of order. The Waiting for You Cd was released in 1993. Fine as Fine Can Be was on the 1975 LP Cold on the Shoulder LP

Kevin
Old 11-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
4LaneStudios

Hello Kevin.

Gord actually had the intros correct. I believe John has posted the intros before the songs that they apply to.

It was a wonderful night -- not only a change to once again delight in the magic of the minstrel himself, but also the first time that Brink and the other three members of what was the Lightfoot Tribute Team were together to do so. A great time was had by all.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
KHester

Lynn,
OK that makes perfect sense now.. I've seen some of the Lightfoot tribute videos on MyLady channel on Livevideo recently.

Kevin
Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Couch Itching

His voice is completely shot. Saturday night was completely embarrassing for him and the people in the audience. He croaked, whispered, missed notes and looked like it was
painful for him. Many left at intermission.
Couch Itching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
4LaneStudios

I don't understand people who go to his concert and expect him to sound like he did 30 years ago. Wake up folks -- he's 71 years old! And as far as I'm concerned, for 71, he did an outstanding job! If you are a fan, you know the songs, and the beauty of the lyrics, and you appreciate the man for the music and for the special way that it touched you at some point in your lifetime.

I don't go expecting to hear Lightfoot of the 70's or 80's. I go to honour the man for the gifts he's given us that will last our lifetimes and beyond. To quote a good friend of mine, "He makes me proud to be Canadian."

What will these people say when the day comes that he is no longer with us? Something tells me that they'll be the first to tell all that they were one of the fortunate ones who saw him in concert.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Itching View Post
His voice is completely shot. Saturday night was completely embarrassing for him and the people in the audience. He croaked, whispered, missed notes and looked like it was
painful for him. Many left at intermission.
I guess the standing ovations and amazing receptions to many songs, before and after they were performed was no indication of great he sounded.
I was right down front and took every opportunity I could (every night actually) to turn and look at the crowd on the main floor, balcony and gallery and to these old eyes I'm sure I saw the majority of Massey Hall full of very pleased Lightfoot fans clapping, hooting, hollering for more..There may have been a few folks leave, but good gawd he was fantastic. Night one was a warm up - a bit of breathiness, raspiness at times, night two was better and he nailed many of the tunes, night three was the best of all nights for me and I told Gordon just that after the show. He felt the show was tighter the night before. The fourth night was on par with night three..

Singing is not painful for him, they are just facial expressions, he puts 100% effort into it and altho his voice is not vintage 1974 there are more times than not that the Lightfoot we recall is there singing for us. For many of us the voice of today lends itself to so many tunes with the experiences of his life reflected in it. The voice at 71 exemplifies a life he's lived with family, friends and fans. It is what it is, and that certainly does make it "shot" or embarrassing for anyone, least of all Lightfoot himself.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
charlene

He is a perfectionist and he knows his limitations..his pride (and yes, vanity) in his musical legacy is what has him out onstage for 70+ shows a year - full houses all over North America and rave reviews for the most part speak to the fact that he is not destroying his legacy at all.

yes it would seem you are baffled.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Couch Itching

The many people that left during intermission shows that his days as even a vaguely acceptable singer are long behind him. I saw him in Orillia as well and it was a traumatic experience and the feedback from the audience afterwards was quite awful. DeNiro was a legend until he stopped caring about the quality of his work and it's well past the point where Gord should let his recorded legacy stand for who and what he is. His croaking on stage is truly pathetic.
As for the baffled remark I don't need to resort to insults whilst in a discussion with an obsessed, post menopausal woman.
Couch Itching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Jenney

Quote:
As for the baffled remark I don't need to resort to insults whilst in a discussion with an obsessed, post menopausal woman.
Was that really necessary?

There might have been a lot of people that left, I have no idea. But there were a whole lot more that stayed.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
curiousmoonbeam

I love the man, I love the music, I love the band! Gordon - what a lyricist, a musician and artist we have the priviledge of enjoying - what an amazing body of work he has crafted - can't wait til he returns to the Keswick next year! It's all good!
curiousmoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
4LaneStudios

"Couch Itching", if the concert in Orillia was so "traumatic", what would possess you to go to Massey Hall?? That makes no sense to me.

I was there on Saturday and looked around during the intermission and before the encore. I didn't see much in the way of empty seats. What I saw were fans who had enjoyed the show and were looking forward to the next number. Maybe those you saw putting their coats on were actually just heading out for a smoke.

It's too bad you wasted your money on a concert that you anticipated wouldn't please you to begin with. I'm sure that the majority of the people there felt like I did -- thrilled to be there, and that the concert was worth so much more.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
charlene

Quote:
it baffles me he's not aware of it.
you said it and I agreed. no insult meant.

unlike your erroneous insult and PERSONAL attack.

No obsession - just a long standing love and respect for the music and the man.

I'm the first to say or agree with someone that any particular song was not the greatest I've heard - that he was gasping for air, had a raspiness or breathiness that had him missing notes or even those times he misses lyrics or repeats verses or may not being playing the guitar at his best..he's human, he's 71 and the times that he is darn near perfection at this time of his life far outweigh those "moments."
Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
KHester

I guess according to Couch Itching we should all be stuck in a time warp..Maybe He should just stay on the computer and watch youtube videos, where the performers never age.How many of todays artists will still be touring and drawing crowds 40 years after their start?
Of course with someone like Britney Spears. Her voice would still sound like it does today
(Thanks to the magic of Lip synching) but at age 65 she sure would be a site in those bare midriffs.
We go to see and hear Gordon every time we can because it's a chance to see the singer/songwriter who has brought so much joy into our lives. His songs have touched our hearts and stirred our souls. It's a chance for most of us to see someone that most of us consider an old friend. Knowing that for the most part it will be the same as in years past, yet we wouldn't miss it for the world. As Lightfoot fans are we obsessed?
Yes you might say we are. But it's a burden that all of us are proud to might proud to bear.

Char You Know We all love Gordon, and We ALL Love You !!!!

Kevin
Old 11-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
Dan

Char and All,

Please do not try to justify anything for this Couch Itching a-hole (BTW- What is he or she itching anyway - perhaps a bit of Pocket Pool?????)

"It" is only trying to pull your chain.

Danno
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #16
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LaneStudios View Post
"Couch Itching", if the concert in Orillia was so "traumatic", what would possess you to go to Massey Hall?? That makes no sense to me.
extremely well said Lynn.
I think that "couch..itching" is a psuedonym for "advanced spammer"
Yes the definition of Psuedonym is actually
"The term is derived from the Greek ψευδώνυμον (pseudṓnymon), literally "false name", from ψεῦδος (pseûdos), "lie, falsehood" and ὄνομα (ónoma), "name". I think that pretty well sums up your name Sir or Madam
IMHO and considering that our hardworking Char had to read that intemperate diatribe nay drivel in the midst of a busy time deleting the heap of ridiculous real spam I am very surprised that she kept her cool and posted a reasoned reply to your uncalled for and seriously insulting outburst.I am most surprised that presumably being in a deleting routine she did not summarily delete your postings forthwith. I happen to agree with her and I might be as obsessed but am certainly not (as far as I know) menapausal
Quote:
I was there on Saturday and looked around during the intermission and before the encore. I didn't see much in the way of empty seats. What I saw were fans who had enjoyed the show and were looking forward to the next number. Maybe those you saw putting their coats on were actually just heading out for a smoke.

It's too bad you wasted your money on a concert that you anticipated wouldn't please you to begin with. I'm sure that the majority of the people there felt like I did -- thrilled to be there, and that the concert was worth so much more.
Hrrmph
Exactly Lynn
On Saturday we were seated in Row O alongside Bob's soundboard and
were most disgusted to see at least 20 people rudely and crudely creeping back in late after the intermission and after the second half had started, leaving a noticable reek of tobacco in their wake.There were then no significant areas of empty seats that I could see on the main floor.
I was as thrilled and pleased as ever by several numbers
In particular sublime renditions of "Let It Ride", "Restless" and "If Children Had Wings". all three on all 4 nights too
And was very impressed at how well his signature Trilogy came over
Did you try to listen to them Couch Potato Skin??
I personally feel that an unconditional and sincere apology is due from you to the Modem Maderator
Failing that your immediate resignation

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 11-22-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: tidying up!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
sunshine

While I couldn't disagree more with Couch Itching's point of view regarding
the audience's reaction to Gordon's recent performances, I am horrified at the level to which he let his subsequent commentary descend. He misinterpreted Charlene's intent, grossly overreacted to it, and contributed an undesirable, and as far as I know, unprecedented tenor to the discussion. Now I fear my comments and support of Gordon and Charlene could result in a similar assault, but if it does, I will just let it ride.
________
easy vape review

Last edited by sunshine; 01-26-2011 at 12:46 AM.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #18
Oh, Linda

First of all, it was nice to finally meet you Char! I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone else at the pre-show dinner (thanks for arranging Char!). And Jenney--my vintage bag is working out great!

I really enjoyed the show. Being in Toronto, at Massey Hall, it really had a heartwarming feel about it. At least in my opinion. My friends from Toronto/Atlanta also enjoyed it and they had never been to one of his concerts before. A few songs shy of the end of the first set, my friend sitting next to me said "I'm thoroughly enjoying myself." And she was!

For me, being at the famous Massey Hall made it all the more memorable. I'd heard about these legendary shows, especially here on corfid, so it was a real treat to finally get the chance to take one in! Walking through the lower level, looking at all of those photographs, was like looking at the wall of legends, a real who's who. Among them, of course, the man of the night himself, Gordon Lightfoot.

I thought his voice was in better shape than last year when I saw him in Kalamazoo. I especially enjoyed when he mentioned that some of his children and grandchildren were in the audience. "I've got grandchildren!" he laughed. His facial expressions are priceless. From the cheers that erupted I gathered his family members in attendance were sitting on the right hand side of the theater, somewhere to the right and behind you Char, is that about right? During the intermission they streamed right in front of where I was sitting on the way to the backstage door. They looked very excited to be there. Weren't we all?

I wonder what it was like for his daughter Ingrid, in attendance, to hear her father introduce "As Fine As Fine Can Be" stating he wrote it for her when she was 8 years old. Or what it was like for Meredith to hear him tell everyone he wrote "Waiting For You" for "your mother." He spoke directly to her from stage, as if she were the only one there. I thought it was a very cool moment.

This morning my friends and I reminisced about the show, his legacy, the importance of his songwriting to the music industry, the numerous artists he's influenced, his relevance still today, the fact that at 71 years old he still gets out there and does 70+ shows each year, and more. He's touched a lot of people through the years, from far and away, including a woman named Eva. Sitting next to me last night at dinner she told me that seeing Gordon Lightfoot was for her a 35 year dream come true. And she flew all the way from Germany to do just that! Even crossing the bridge from Canada to the US in Port Huron was fun. The border patrol officer asked me my purpose in Canada. "To see a concert" I replied. "Who was playing?" "Gordon Lightfoot at Massey Hall." He smiled a big smile and told me how much he loved "that song he wrote about the ship that sank--the Edmund Fitzgerald." I explained to him what Gordon told us last night, that he used the word Cleveland instead of Toledo to make the song rhyme. He laughed and waved me through saying "glad you enjoyed the show."

Who knows how much longer Gordon will be touring. As long as fans still want to see him and he's still able to do it and he enjoys it, then why not? The quality and integrity of his music more than make up for a few hushed words sung from stage these days.
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #19
Auburn Annie

Not sure if CI is a troll or just some fella that's stuck in a 70s time warp. Given the remarks, I lean toward the former but maybe I'm just over-aware of such critters as they recently infested the Mad Men discussion forum on AMC.

Anyway....

I do wish I'd been there. I realize there are a few artists who can keep their voices practically under glass for decades on end but most cannot and don't try. They adapt. Their listeners adapt, happily or reluctantly, but with the recognition that we are all mere mortals, even the tremendously talented among us.

As for that "obsessed, post-menopausal woman" crack, you should be so lucky that any woman of any age would ever give a hint of interest in you, boy-o. Obsessed? Many of us are. "Post-menopausal"?? What's that in aid of? That's the dismissive remark of a man who knows little and cares less about women.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #20
redhead

Perhaps I can put some perspective on this for Couch Itching.

Back in the early 90's my parents had the privilege of seeing Frank Sinatra perform live. People kept calling out to the stage, expressing their love and admiration for the man and after a few songs, he laughed and asked the audience if they wanted him to chat or if they wanted him to sing -- it was their nickel. The overwhelming majority said "TALK" and that's exactly what he did for the duration of the show. My parents said it was probably the best show they ever attended.

The point is, people didn't go to see Frank Sinatra that night to hear a carbon copy of what they could have played on a record at home. They went for the experience of sharing an evening with their favorite performer and to forge a greater connection to the man who's music they've loved for so many years.

It's no different for G.L. fans. We're with him because in addition to all of those great songs we enjoy hearing him perform, the experience of being in a room with him as he speaks and plays solely for us is a joyous occasion that establishes an even deeper connection between "the man" and his public.

Now do you get it?

Last edited by redhead; 11-22-2009 at 10:45 PM.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #21
talbot10

Quote:
The many people that left during intermission shows that his days as even a vaguely acceptable singer are long behind him. I saw him in Orillia as well and it was a traumatic experience and the feedback from the audience afterwards was quite awful. DeNiro was a legend until he stopped caring about the quality of his work and it's well past the point where Gord should let his recorded legacy stand for who and what he is. His croaking on stage is truly pathetic.
What you are really showing yourself to be is mean spirited and offensive person. The type of opinion you expressed about Gordon Lightfoot (especially with your alleged "love" of the man) would not be what one would expect to be aired on a public fan forum where people are thrilled with the whole of his career. You know those commets are hurtful. You really gave your true intent away with your stupid, nasty and imature insult to Char, who is a great friend to all of us on this site and a wonderful person. I have no idea how old you may be but you need to grow-up and show some respect for people.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #22
johnfowles

Quote:
Hello Kevin.

Gord actually had the intros correct. I believe John has posted the intros before the songs that they apply to.

exactly Lynn it should have been obvious from my intro remarks about "loonies" an intro that I posted immediately before the song entry
Ring Neck Loon

I meant no one no harm

Old 11-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #23
Unsettled 1

In my opinion, Couch itching, and his ignorant remarks should simply be scratched. It is an honor to attend a Lightfoot concert. He/she/it is not worthy.
Unsettled 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
charlene

All those things you were witness to at early Lightfoot concerts yet you still went back? But the voice of a well lived 71 year old and the fact that he is still singing is what has you posting here...

Well I guess there are a lot of deluded folks who have been wandering North America and taking in Lightfoot concerts for decades wherever he's playing - (and not just 'back in the day") who are still following him and loving it every time.

Many who also have been long time fans, have seen him many, many times and know he isn't the 70's Lightfoot but still find the performances fulfilling and worth their time, and their money to buy tickets and travel to the shows.

Can I safely assume you won't be attending any of the 2010 shows?
That will leave one more seat for someone who feels differently than you about the Lightfoot of today.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #25
KHester

Well said, Charlene.
Ah.. North America the land of free speech

I've always said, That whenver you open your mouth (or in this case leave a reply)...
You can prove one of two things either how much you know, or how much you don't know.

Kevin