banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
stationmaster

I've been reading somewhere that Cat Stevens has recently been denied entry into the U.S. because of suspected terrorist links. Well that's so sad! I just love his old music. He should have never left I guess. I think he was better off being a cat...

[This message has been edited by stationmaster (edited September 23, 2004).]
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
Borderstone

Stationmaster. Well even if "Mustaf" can't return here he was not a citizen in the first place. He's from England. It was his own choice at the end of the 70s to join the Islmic faith. he joined because the true Islamics are of peace,not violence. I know if we weren't having all these problems,they wouldn't even give him a second thought.

I think the government is going a little bit overboard in this case. I mean come on! This is the guy who sang "Peace Train" and "Oh Very Young". The man doesn't have a terroristic bone in his body!

Just more proof that racial & religious profiling is still the deciding factor in these cases,instead of "concrete" proof. What's next? Album,8 track,tape & CD burnings??

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited September 24, 2004).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
LSH

ok, there was, years and years ago, some interview with him that asked him this little question:
If they ayatollah told you to kill someone for him and the greater good of the Islamic faith, would you do it.
He said yes, without hesitation.

EVERYONE has a violent bone or two in their body. Welcome to the human race.

I love his old music too, Chocolate Buddha. Good album.
Oh Very Young, I loved that song, used to sing it to my son when he was around two.

[This message has been edited by LSH (edited September 24, 2004).]
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
stationmaster

MUSTAF?
Old 09-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #5
Borderstone

Yes,Station. That's his Muslim name that he took in 1979 or 1980.

Laurel,I don't want to get into a long discussion about "Cat" but,if he had just converted at that time and Khomeni was in power,what choice would he have but to say that "yes he would". (?)

Khomeni was a terrible man along the lines of Saddam & Bin Laden. If Mustaf had said anything against Khomeni,even that little,it might not have been a wise thing to say he would not kill.

That's all I'll say on thew matter because I really don't like politics and overly serious topics very much. That's just my view and whatever the truth is,it wont make me throw away my Cat Stevens LPs.

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Old 09-25-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
stationmaster

Hey B I think you mean "Yusif"?
Old 09-25-2004, 07:34 PM   #7
Borderstone

Oh yeah! Yusif!!! My bad! I think I've seen "The Lion King" too many times!

------------------
Old 09-26-2004, 09:22 AM   #8
TheWatchman

I like Cat's older music a lot but he is suspected of funding terrorists organizations. Laurel stated he said he would kill if his God or religion told him to. What a freak. He looks like a freak. He hates America so he can pass go and go straight to hell. A lot of these people use non-violence beliefs to hide hate and a desire to kill. They are born and bred to hate and kill Americans. Cat is no different. He hates America and America just kicked his ass out. Good riddens you freak!

B, you don't like politics and overly serious topics that much? Geeze. You talk about politics more than anybody here, at least until I had to put you in your little place.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #9
violet Blue Horse

I don't believe he hates America. I've not read that he said that. I do believe he gave money once to someone with terrorist ties. It's very possible I have too, depending on how you want to define terrorist.

As for killing if your God told you to, well, we've seen people from all relgions do that in the past twenty years, some of them right here on American soil and they weren't Muslim.

The time and place in which he said what he did about killing Rushdie was a different world. It was before 9/11. That day changed a lot of people, and I'm guessing it changed him too judging by the comments and the donations he made after that.

I don't judge people by how they look or what their religion is. I judge people by their actions. His actions, so far in his life, have been those of a peaceful man.

What I'd love to see, but I know I never will is some detail from our government, some explanation of exactly what Yusuf Islam did that got him deported. Who did he give money to when and why? I hope he does file suit, and I hope he drags it all out in court.

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
I like Cat's older music a lot but he is suspected of funding terrorists organizations. Laurel stated he said he would kill if his God or religion told him to. What a freak. He looks like a freak. He hates America so he can pass go and go straight to hell. A lot of these people use non-violence beliefs to hide hate and a desire to kill. They are born and bred to hate and kill Americans. Cat is no different. He hates America and America just kicked his ass out. Good riddens you freak!

B, you don't like politics and overly serious topics that much? Geeze. You talk about politics more than anybody here, at least until I had to put you in your little place.

Old 09-26-2004, 03:47 PM   #10
LSH

Hmmm. I was just stating what little I could remember about Cat Steven's conversion, which was very little, obviously. I just think that every person has the capacity for violence,I meant that as a general term.

As for the politics of this situation,I'm shaking it off.
And B, you DO talk a lot of politics...lol.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote