banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 07-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Borderstone

Default MOvie & Tv Legend Ernest Borgnine : Passes Away at 95

He passed away just less than a few hours ago. He turned 95 back in January.

As sad as it is to see people we feel we knew through their works pass away,
we can take comfort in knowing that Ernest (and Andy Griffith) did not leave us through a painful drug addiction,acoholism and did not take their own lives when the going got tough (for whatever reason.)

Ernest was obviously,in mind very strong and even when it seemed the acting roles had dried up,he kept going. Which is what gave him a noteriety and fame that lasted 60 years.

He made 5 films before landing the role of the sadistic Sgt. "Fatso" Judson,who kills Frank Sinatra's character in "From Here To Eternity". From there it was nowhere but up. Especially becoming the surprise winner of the 1955 Best Picture Oscar, "Marty".

A lot of people don't know there was a McHales Navy movie in 1964,as well as the the series. I recall seeing reruns in the 1980s when I was a teen.

...but I actaully first saw Mr. Borgnine in 2 movies in 1981. "Escape From New York" as "Cabbie" and the very silly movie "Superfuzz" in the (unfortunatly) forgettable role of Sgt. Wily Dunlop (he's partnered with a cop who has gained telekenetic powers after a nuclear explosion).

Since then,I've seen his greatest works. Along with "Marty" & "From HEre To Eternity",
I've also seen "The Dirty Dozen","The Wild Bunch","Convoy","The Greatest","Johnny Guitar","The Poseidon Adventure" and the great 1979 TV movie re-make of "All Quiet On The Western Front".
Did you also know he was the voice of "Mermaidman" on Spongebob Squarepants? I didn't.

According to IMDB,he has just completed a film called "The Man Who Shook the Hand of Vicente Fernandez." Borgnine plays Rex Page, an old man who is bitter about never becoming famous and having lived a life without any meaning. There is no release date yet.

118 movies and 79 TV titles and a career of exactly 61 years : 1951 to 2012. Not many actors can say that and I hope his last film is a success. So many of Hollywood's best actors,had final films that were either flops or an insult to their talent.

Here's a salute to you Ernest,a man who
kept sailing forward. Not just in his career but in life. R.I.P.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Bill

Default Re: MOvie & Tv Legend Ernest Borgnine : Passes Away at 95

I agree, he and Andy had lives well lived and much loved. We're seeing a generation pass into history.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
BendRick

I enjoyed the movies he was in, the ones that come to mind are Poseidon Adventure, Emperor of the North Pole, and his role as a Roman centurion in Jesus of Nazareth. He commented that he believed in reincarnation, and thought the centurion role was deja-vu.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
timetraveler

I can't help but wonder how many, if any, people know that he also did the voice for Mermaid Man on Spongebob Squarepants? Not that I ever like the show, but when I heard that he was there, I started wondering why did he take on the part. And as for parets in biblical epics, I saw Barrabas not long ago & couldn't take my eyes from him. It was as if that part had been written just for him & he played it so well. I also saw the updated treatment of McHales Navy with Tom Arnold & Borgnine played his dad. I actually liked it & normally I don't much care for things with Tom Arnold in it. One thing that he reminded me of is a rough, tough grandfatherly type. You couldn't help but like him.