banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #26
charlene

Default Re: GORDON will be 75 - BIRTHDAY WISHES - post them here

Krista J Holmes-Storey:
One of two beautiful cakes created by Mariposa Market in celebration of Orillia's own Golden Son; Gordon Lightfoot's 75th birthday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400451_10151715561916401_895967697_o[1].jpg
Views:	443
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	6486  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #27
charlene

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2013/11...-for-lightfoot

Love for Lightfoot
By Sara Ross, Orillia Packet & Times

Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:38:55 EST PM

It was a concert at The Kee to Bala that sparked Earl Lewis' love for Gordon Lightfoot.

“I got in for free and saw his last two songs,” Lewis said Saturday. “I was just totally floored by the guy. I thought this is so amazing.”

Lewis was 14-years-old when he watched Lightfoot that first time.

Now 60, he's followed Lightfoot's career ever since.

“I have seen him countless times at Massey Hall. I would see him every year down there,” Lewis said. “I've been a huge fan of his.”

Lewis' mother also loves Lightfoot and the pair would go to concerts together.

“He spans generations and a lot of musicians don't do that,” he said. “That's one of the things I think is so amazing about him.”

Lewis brought his Lightfoot memorabilia to the Orillia Museum of Art and History Saturday to add to their display.

Downtown Orillia hosted a number of events over the weekend to celebrate Lightfoot's 75th birthday.

The international folk singer and songwriter was born in Orillia Nov. 17, 1938.

The Circle is Small Band, a Lightfoot tribute band, performed downtown at Brewery Bay Food Company both Friday and Saturday night.

“It was jammed packed,” lead guitarist Jack Nicolle said of the Friday show. “It was well received. We're happy.”

When the Mariposa Folk Festival returned to Orillia in 2000, Nicolle volunteered as a stage tech.

“I was standing beside (Lightfoot) backstage and I felt this little tug on my sleeve. He autographed my sleeve,” Nicolle said. “(Lightfoot) said 'I just thought you'd like that.'”

Nicolle has always been a fan of Lightfoot and was even a student of Red Shea, Lighfoot's original lead guitarist.

“(Lightfoot's) an icon Canadian songwriter, probably a worldwide icon,” Nicolle said. “He's just wonderful.”

Ernie Valcheff, one of birthday event organizers and a member of the tribute band, enjoys learning to play Lightfoot's songs.

“I came from other music, so it was a challenge for me to actually do his music,” Valcheff said. “It's a new wheel for me.”

Playing in The Circle is Small Band is very enjoyable, Valcheff said.

“It's exciting to do tribute,” he said. “It's my first time doing tribute.”

sara.ross@summedia.ca

Twitter: @Sara_VRoss
Old 11-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #28
charlene

video - http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1045353
Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #29
charlene

published in Calgary, Toronto and Ottawa papers - editors changed things up a bit at eachpaper..lol (scroll down at link) http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/11/16...or-nov-17-2013

Happy 75th, Gordon, from a loyal fan
Ottawa Citizen November 16, 2013 9:11 AM

Many fans around the world, including me, would like to wish our legendary icon, Gordon Lightfoot a very happy 75th birthday on Nov. 17. Thanks to Gordon for the decades of consistently excellent music and concerts that are the soundtrack to so many lives his music has touched.

As a teen in the late 1960s I fell in love with his beautiful songs and all these years later after many, many concerts in many cities, Lightfoot still remains my No. 1 artist to listen to and see in concert. As a kid I never could have imagined I'd be lucky enough to meet him, speak on the phone with him and even interview him but I have several times. It's truly an honour to be a longtime loyal Gordon Lightfoot fan. We'll see him down the road in 2014.

Charlene Westbrook, Whitby

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...983/story.html

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GORDON

Happy 75th birthday, Gordon Lightfoot (Nov. 17). Thank you, Gordon, for the decades of consistently excellent music and concerts that are the soundtrack to so many lives your music has touched. As a teen in the late ’60s I fell in love with his beautiful songs and all these years later after many, many concerts in many cities, Gordon Lightfoot still remains my number one artist. As a kid, I never could have imagined I’d be lucky enough to meet him, speak on the phone with him and even interview him but I have several times! It’s truly my honour to be a long-time loyal Gordon Lightfoot fan. Thank you and have a wonderful birthday, Gordon; see you down the road in 2014!

Char Westbrook

(He’s a Canadian icon.)
Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #30
Burr

Gordon,
Birthday greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area wine country.
This is a landmark day in your life. Congratulations for fifty plus years on the carefree highway.
Over the years, you've issued forth a precious gift of music through raw talent and wizardry. I've heard your music emanating from the AM radio, the FM stereo, then LPs and CDs, and now the Internet. I've loaded the car with your recordings,and I've worked with your music ringing between my ears. Even been to a couple of your concerts around here, too.
Although we've never met you're been in my life.
You rock, man! Keep on keepin' on!
Burr
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #31
OldDan

From first hearing you singing "Poor Little Allison" back in 1970 on AM radio, to actually meeting you in person on several occasions, your music has been the soundtrack of my life. Thanks for all the outstanding albums and memorable live performances over the years! Wishing you a very Happy 75th Birthday, Gordon!
OldDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #32
ellen

You've been an important, essential part of my life for a good long while now, ever since I convinced my French teacher in our rural North Carolina high school forty some years ago that we should listen to you in class and learn "Nous Vivons Ensemble" - and I convinced her we should attend your concert at Wake Forest University forty miles away.

As the years passed I heard you sing in concert when I was away at university, but rarely after as life got busy and burdens heavy. Always though, your words and music filled my ears, caught my imagination, and danced in my dreams through times of heartbreak and joy. It was my constant companion, especially in recent years when I needed the memory of summertime dreams to chase away the shadows.

The last 2-3 years have allowed more opportunities to hear you in person. As much as I love the beauty of the music you make, I admire and appreciate the strength, discipline, determination, and solid work ethic you bring to your effort. I'm glad you still love the work.

So I wish you the happiest of birthdays, and hope you will continue to find satisfaction in your work and your life in all the years to come. I hope you have some sense of what you and your music mean to so many of us. Our lives are much the richer for the poetry you sing us.

Thank you.
ellen
ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
Borderstone

I can't beleive my incredible luck

You want to hear something amazing? A we know,it was Gordon's
birthday yesterday,I had already stopped by here to give my birthday greeetings.

Well,after that,my borther and I went to a local antiques market,just about a mile or so from home. I was searching through an area of records,tapes & CD's and what in the world do I find?

A Reprise reel to reel,in the original box with the 1/2 circle label (on the reel) still intact! What album you ask? None other than "Sit Down Young Stranger"/"If You Could Read My Mind"!! Same picture as the album too.

...but,even bigger than that,it had neither title on it but it simply said on the front ,in a brown colored square, "New Gordon Lightfoot". The price a mere $8.00 . My brother made it an early Christmas gift for me.

What an interesting thing to happen on his 75th birthday! Have a great week guys.