banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #26
formerlylavender

Default Re: Proverbs from Gord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
the first one that came to mind from from that tune...i guess i used the wrong short form, lol
LOL...I was wondering what the letters/numbers meant. I have to check out the words to this song that until this moment, I didn't know existed. Thanks for the heads up jj and RJ.

Moose, I like your choice too. Simple but so, so true.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #27
jj

hey, formerly lavender...here is some of our lightheadtotoe powerful performance of FO1000P (i'm sticking with this, lol)

i had just settled into taping this jam when rj got up there and blew me away with his powerful (non-miked) vocal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v51FX37ZSY
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
lighthead2toe

Wow, JJ, what an adrenalin rush that gave me (again).

Wouldn't it be fantastic to have all the gang together and do that again next May in Toronto during the festive week of the Massey concerts?

I would just love to get to hang out with all those friends again.

Hey guys; the call is out!

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #29
charlene

Matt is going to come next May - third times a charm I hope.
the last two tries didn't work for him. He's a talented fellow for sure..Billyboy has said he's coming too and I'm holding him to it!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #30
formerlylavender

Thanks, jj. I really enjoyed watching the link. FOA1000P is a real gem for sure. I love when I can discover something new about Gord-almost like the feeling of anticipation I had when the final four were released on CD. It was the best knowing I had four whole albums of new material to listen to. Vividly remember hearing the first notes of Farewell to Annabel...it's still one of my favorites.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #31
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
A true genius in songwriting. That one (FOATP) is a very powerful song first brought to my attention by John Fowles.
spot on cher ami it is an almost overhelming Lightfoot performance
Those who have not previously heard the original rendition just play Gord's version (see below) a few times at high volume and I'll be surprised if your head is nor spinning afterwards.I just cannot understand why this never became a studio recording (I include in my top ten Gordsong list)

It is comments like that Omer that make me so very pleased that I managed to record this fabulous song from my Montreal apartment's television set's loudspeaker back in 1968

Fo those who have yet to hear this unreleased masterpeice (I won't say "unrecorded" as Jones The Elder did because there certainly was the CBC recording which I believe is still in existence as it was shown in the Toronto CBC cinema a few years ago), in addition to mine which you can download from this link
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfo...and_People.mp3
(Note that I recorded this myself on a battery powered el cheapo monaural (non stereo) reel to reel tape recorder that looked remarkably like this one

so the sound quality is not exactly high fidelity but is the best available until or unless the CBC issue a better version made from the original broadcast, and preferably a complete video of the show (hint hint to a certain notable corfiddler I am still patiently waiting for you! see you in May???)

The elder Jones has twice now done me the favour of performing this song for me firstly at the November 2006 jam session at the Delta Chelsea then again at the May 2008 jam at Mcveighs most excellent irish pub.
I videod both but am unable at this moment to locate the file for the 2008 and the 2006 recording features pretty disgusting sound quality so I will not inflict it on your ears I think that the 2008 was rather better soundwise so I will keep looking
OK since I drafted the above I see that Jones The Younger being obviously far more organisd than me has been able to upload his recording to youtube

Last edited by johnfowles; 08-30-2010 at 11:58 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #32
Jesse Joe

Another one you told me so much about John is "Echoes Of A Heroe" and I do listen to both of them often.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #33
jj

Echoes of Heroes - classic, joo

sir J, i don't know who has the Show of the Week for that....only broadcasters (my lil outfit is primarily postproduction, not broadcast) and educators can purchase the footage from CBC ...they used to show this at one of the little theatre rooms occasionally, before all the cutbacks

jones sr (i'm too heavy) will have to scale the building walls and drop from a fine wire, you will have to keep watch on the street and trip any authorities up

if you do a GL search at the archive you will find 21 pages of hits of GL appearances....it's fun (and aggravating!) to sift through

btw, what i posted doesn't have the full rj version of FO1000P...i synched my video to the nice audio capture job that Ottawa Mike did...he has full version...good luck finding the 2008 version...you need char's see thru storage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gl archives.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	3650  
Old 08-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #34
Jesse Joe

Great job as always jj... that's from La Cave 1964 right ?? I have it on CD 15 songs & he has to do "Ribbon Of Darkness" twice because first time around he forgot the words.

Just him & his guitars 6 & 12 string,,, correct ??
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:12 AM   #35
jj

yeah, no back up band...you can see a pic of GL at la cave in the recent steeles tavern thread

will keep a watch for whenthey are playing Wherefor and Why at the Spry theatre again....they played it the year of the charbq...anyone see it?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #36
jj

a contradiciton between the clip john poste and the screen capture i posted from cbc archives as far as what tunes GL sang....i realize they refer to the tune in question as 'I was born' but what about Rosanna, Does you mother Know etc?

rj, what key do you do the tune in? c? (ie. A on guitar with capo up a few?)
Old 08-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #37
lighthead2toe

It's in the key of "C,"JJ.
I put the capo on the third fret and play it in the "A" position.
I cover the strings ("A"position) with the index, middle and ring fingers, giving the ring finger the opportunity to lift off the "B" string, (and back on) in order to sweeten the sound.
It should be played on a twelve string guitar. (too many notes?)

On another "NOTE," I'm in good ol' Toronto town arriving last night for a month or so and I have those books, you know, the ones with "too many notes" with me and Liam tells me he can scan them so we'll get that done asap to close the book on the "Gord chord" matter.

Stay loose,

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #38
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Wow, JJ, what an adrenalin rush that gave me (again).

Wouldn't it be fantastic to have all the gang together and do that again next May in Toronto during the festive week of the Massey concerts?

I would just love to get to hang out with all those friends again.

Hey guys; the call is out!

RJ.
That was so fun, I would love to be see a repeat. What a great group!!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote