banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Jesse Joe

Default Gordon Lightfoot Midnight Special 1974 SUNDOWN !

Maybe this was posted before ? First time I seen it...

Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Gordon Lightfoot Midnight Special 1974 SUNDOWN !

The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald ! "Ah 1 2 3 4 5 6"

That Gibson b-45/ 12 string, sure sounds great. That guitar to me would be priceless. Of course it's like they say everything is for sale. It would fetch a big amount of money for anyone who followed this cool poet genius career, and knows about his great guitars... ~Jesse Joe~

http://www.livevideo.com/media/playv...6B1FCEC6814F0D

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 10-28-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
podunklander

Thanks for posting this Jesse Joe! Seems like only yesterday...
Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Maybe this was posted before ? First time I seen it...
All very strange while I was watching it here all of a suddenly pffft it closed and youtube apologised "no longer available"
when I refreshed this page it was there again
Meanwhile I had found that it said nothing in that regard on the actual youtube page, but amongst the 3 comments is this by an obvious non-guitarist and non-spellcheck-user
"Great classic =)

Keep going three cord Gord. "

An amazing find Omer, because when I first saw this video it was a file which had varying filenames in particular sundown germany and sundown 1974
and clearly this music video was aired on German television in 1974 in a series apparently called Disco 1974
As you can see from this screenshot the opening and stage

are identical to that on the Midnight Special video.

It was much later when I found a copy of the Midnight Special DVD on Ebay.com that I realised that the two videos are in fact one and the same.The German broadcast inserted the upcoming show menu and a reference by Gord of the following week's show featurung Dr Hook in front of the part in the MS version where it says Sundown in large letters
I had wondered why there is no mention of this apparent 1974 German television appearance on Wayne's site.
but then Wayne's 1974 tour listing reveals that Gord was in some hick city called Cleveland Ohio on 26 October 1974.
He quotes February 23 as the date of the Midnight Special broadcast on NBC that evening Gord was in Annapolis, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
Thanks for posting this Jesse Joe! Seems like only yesterday...
tada tada.. "When I heard the teacher say Patiently, one and two make three We were children, you and me"
Good observation Pam, but it was actually the "day before yesterday"

and/or did you think of the the wrong song ? "To late for Prayin" is actually the flipside of Sundown dontcha know
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

Crikey I remember this when it first aired - I was watching (those were the days when I could actually stay up that late without dropping off to sleep, lol.)

I ran into a peculiar computer thing when I left that video - my Sis driver went berserk and turned my screen into a washed out impressionist painting. After running various antivirus programs I did a system restore and all is well but I'm not sure whether it had anything to do with YouTube orthat video in particular, or whether it was just coincidence.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
Crikey I remember this when it first aired - I was watching (those were the days when I could actually stay up that late without dropping off to sleep, lol.)

I ran into a peculiar computer thing when I left that video - my Sis driver went berserk and turned my screen into a washed out impressionist painting. After running various antivirus programs I did a system restore and all is well but I'm not sure whether it had anything to do with YouTube orthat video in particular, or whether it was just coincidence.

WOW - nothing came up when you ran the scan? FYI I watched the one posted by Jesse Joe, and the first one that John has here and didn't have any issue (thank goodness). I'm thinking that something shut down your firewall.

Hmmmm...I just now received a "critical update" notice from AOL.

Anyway - oh John...FUNNY. I guess it was the Day Before Yesterday!
Old 10-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
timetraveler

For now, I have to use my nephews laptop for all of my internet needs, and one of the things he had done is to have some sort of blocker thingy put on it that would keep something like YouTube stuff from playing here. Anyway, the first that I knew that Gordon had ever been on Midnight Special was when I was watching an infomercial that was pushing classic acts that had been on the show, and one of them that they showed a clip from was from Gordons appearance. That's one show that I miss alot when Friday night comes around.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Auburn Annie

Quote:
WOW - nothing came up when you ran the scan? FYI I watched the one posted by Jesse Joe, and the first one that John has here and didn't have any issue (thank goodness). I'm thinking that something shut down your firewall.

Hmmmm...I just now received a "critical update" notice from AOL.

Anyway - oh John...FUNNY. I guess it was the Day Before Yesterday!

Nope, nuthin' - ran AVG and Spybot and have the usual firewalls installed. The mouse cursor disappeared, transformed into an abstract block and the typeface enlarged. Anyway, there have been no odd occurences since. It's a newish hard drive (May). I may switch from Windows to Firefox for a browser again. My next PC will be a Mac.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
brink-

Quote:
Nope, nuthin' - ran AVG and Spybot and have the usual firewalls installed. The mouse cursor disappeared, transformed into an abstract block and the typeface enlarged. Anyway, there have been no odd occurences since. It's a newish hard drive (May). I may switch from Windows to Firefox for a browser again. My next PC will be a Mac.
My old computer used to do that, I am sorry I don't remember what I did to remedy it. It was very annoying with the large type.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
podunklander

Quote:
Wow - of course it's great you got back up and running and can be back here with us (yipppeee). I haven't tried Firefox...you liked it? Why did you switch back? If you don't mind my asking...just curious.

I was using AVG for anti-virus and Spybot. I'm not using either any longer and Spybot -there's a portion I've not been able to remove from my HD. But if you're not running Windows Defender...I highly recommend it.

Lots of Mac lovers out there. I guess whatever we decide upon...is based upon how best we can access info @Gordon Lightfoot . I'm still getting by on the internet with dial-up but it's limiting of course when it comes to watching videos. For some reason though...it's faster when I'm viewing them via posts here, than when I go directly from YouTube.

Pam
Old 10-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Quote:
I'm still getting by on the internet with dial-up but it's limiting of course when it comes to watching videos. For some reason though...it's faster when I'm viewing them via posts here, than when I go directly from YouTube.

Pam
If this is really true, and not just your subjective impression - that is, if you have tested it many times and at different times of day - then the reason may be RAM. The YouTube page is a lot more complex than this (or any) discussion forum, so it would use more RAM. But, if you are running that close to the limit, you should really get a lot more RAM, or a new PC if yours is very old. The difference caused by the more complex YouTube page should not be enough for you to notice a performance problem.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
If this is really true, and not just your subjective impression - that is, if you have tested it many times and at different times of day - then the reason may be RAM. The YouTube page is a lot more complex than this (or any) discussion forum, so it would use more RAM. But, if you are running that close to the limit, you should really get a lot more RAM, or a new PC if yours is very old. The difference caused by the more complex YouTube page should not be enough for you to notice a performance problem.
Oh yeh, that makes sense. Other reasons/factors too...like if I'm running any other programs at the same time. Low virtual memory has come up. Yes, my PC is old (2003)and I'm holding on pretty good without any hardware upgrades...but as you know it's just a matter of time!

There's so much more running on a YouTube page than just the one video I'm loading/viewing...so I really do think that has a lot to do with it though. A good test I think, perhaps I'll email myself a link to whatever video I want to view and see if that nakes any difference.

Always open to suggestions/advice here!

Pam