banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
gwenagain

Send a message via Yahoo to gwenagain
Default longest concert

What is the longest Gord concert he and the band have done?Having only attended concerts since 1995 I don't have any idea about the length of his ealrier concerts. What is the history?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Tim

Default Re: longest concert

A few personal observations:

When I first started attending Gord concerts in the 1970s most of them were in a single set which ran between 1hr 15 min to 1hr 30 min. Often that was when he had another band touring with him as the "warm-up" act. Two warm-up acts that I've seen with Gord in the 1970s were Lionna Boyd (a wonderful classical guitarist) and The Good Brothers (a Canadian Bluegrass band). The warm-up act would play about 30 minutes (give or take), then there would be about a 15 minute intermission followed by The Man.

In 1980 was the first time I've seen Gord touring without a warmup act. Those concerts would usually run about 2 hours, split into 2 sets. Even in his younger days, I've admired Gord's stamina to stand there and sing those wonderful tunes. (by the way, some of Gord's age peers have begun to bring in memory crutches on stage like music stands with the lyrics -- I've never seen Gord do that, even today).

In some settings in recent years I've seen, or heard from others, of Gord performinng a single set about 90 minutes. Usually that would be in a setting like at Trump Plaza in Atlantic City.

I used to keep track of the time of Gord's concerts because it was such an enjoyable experience that the moment Gord walked off the stage with the guys seemed to come much too soon. But when I checked my watch I was surprised at how much time he sang.

This topic begs another question: what factors go into how long the show ends up being? Is it up to the performer? Or is a specific length of showtime booked? On occasion I've heard Gord mention on stage "the amount time we have left" when discussing whether he would be able to fit certain requests in. Is this a contracted amount of time?

In any case, we can all be thankful that we still have a wonderful, committed, physically fit performer who cares deeply about the quality of product he delivers to his fans. We certainly are very fortunate.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
gwenagain

Send a message via Yahoo to gwenagain
Default Re: longest concert

Exactly...
the concerts do seem to be over much too quickly, and I like you admire his ability to stay the distance. I believe you could be right about the amount of time he might be on stage set to some contractual components... by accident at one venue while attempting to find a way to get the earliest (and PERHAPS best) seats I got into the actual venue fees, etc, etc, etc (had a lot of things in there).
But, I was glad to here that Gord did have backup bands in days gone by... bluegrass, too cool.