banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
dad2mak

Default Gunsmoke and GL

Ok, am I the only one? Whenever I watch a Gunsmoke rerun and listen to James Arness talk, it sounds like Lightfoot to me.
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Bill

Default Re: Gunsmoke and GL

Never thought of that, but now that you mention it -- I hear it! Arness and his brother Peter Graves are from Minnesota I think.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
TC

I was going to bring this up once. I have the first three seasons on DVD and have always thought Arness and Gord sounded very similar.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2mak View Post
Ok, am I the only one? Whenever I watch a Gunsmoke rerun and listen to James Arness talk, it sounds like Lightfoot to me.
I think Gord (these days anyway) sounds a little higher than Jim Arness. But in terms of "hearing" Gord elsewhere, I have ALWAYS heard Gord's voice in the last refrain of Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" - the upper "gainst" part. Honest to God I even checked the album credits to see if he wasn't on vocals on that one track. It does NOT sound like Glenn Frey to me and I will go to my grave in the firm belief that it is Gord, unless the man himself says otherwise.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Jesse Joe

This would be a great question to ask him Annie.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
dad2mak

When I listen to interviews with Lightfoot, such as Alan Thicke's regarding "Harry Tracy," or such things, and then I hear James Arness on "Gunsmoke," they sound very much alike to me. Probably not these days, however.
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Auburn Annie,

I just played my cassette of Bob Seger's "Against The Wind" and I agree that the harmonising voice at the end sounds uncannily like our Gord. I was heavily into Seger in the 1970s-80s. I later thought he must have retired quietly, but I recently discovered he recorded an album of new songs (and then did a concert tour) a couple of years ago. Apparently he had spent the intervening 11 years as a hands-on family man after becoming a parent late in life. He never toured Australia, but I understand he suffered from the fear-of-flying phobia. That's a pity, because his Silver Bullet Band was brilliant in concert and "Live Bullet" and "Nine Tonight" were as good as any live album I've heard.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote