banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #51
John Lister

Default Re: A New Day - "Classic Rock Meets New Age"

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
...unless -by chance did your piano come from Saugus?
It actually came from an auction at a local antique store that was going out of business. It was selling for $4000.00 but at the auction, nobody was very interested in moving it, or finding room in their homes for it, as it is huge, so my ex snapped it up for about $600.00

I found out that the entire system of keys, hammers, dampers, etc. slide straight out of the casing, so I carefully slid it out and repaired a lot of hammers that had fallen off, etc. using Elmer's wood glue. These thin pieces of wood are over 130 years old, so there was a lot to put back in position. I tuned it by ear using a quarter inch tool socket, and now all of the notes work and it's in fairly decent tune.

Sadly, it is no longer my piano, but it was nice to have while it lasted. I did manage to snag a 1939 Hammond "D" organ though, that is here in my home studio!

Again, thank you to all for the warm welcome!
John Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #52
Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Street Rose View Post
Hey Patti,

If Borderstone had time to post I am sure he could tell you all about the Toasters. That man is amazing with all music trivia.

Welcome to our group, John. I know you will enjoy it here and like your new "corfid family". Thank you for your wonderful contributions.

DSR

That's pretty interesting about that piano that podunklander talked about. Wouldn't mind hearing some trivia about that.
DSR, is Borderstone going to the races too?
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #53
Borderstone

I'll avoid the nastier parts of this and just say to Mr. Lister
(hey that rhymes! LOL!) .....Bravo!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #54
John Lister

Thank you Borderstone, and I will post links to more of my music in the future, especially if I do more folk-based material.
John Lister is offline   Reply With Quote