banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

From the Toronto Globe and Mail today
"Gordon Lightfoot Tribute. With honoree Lightfoot slightly infirm these days, these shows
serve as a substitute for his annual Massey Hall concerts. Bluesy acoustic player Rick Fines
and pop duo Madviolet, above, headline a large bill. Today to Sunday, 8:30 p.m. $25 to $27.
Hugh's Room, 2261 Dundas St. W., 416-531-6604."
Have fun those of you attending we'll expect the usual polished reports next week
Infirm.? I don't think so
since apparently they did not bother to cover the remarkably firm performances in November in Hamilton perhaps one of you Torontonians can enlighten this newspaper?
John Fowles
"watch your head-this sign on low doorways,but how do you follow the instructions.Trying to watch your head is like trying to bite your teeth"
copyright Richard Lederer

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited January 14, 2005).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

Yeah, I caught that. "Infirm" my foot. In 2003 maybe, recovering in early 2004 but not now. Sheesh.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
charlene

It was a record breaking 18C yesterday here - that's 65 F !!! BUT today it is back to winter and a deep freeze is expected this weekend...ugh.
BUT Jenney is in Toronto, I'll be there at 5:30 tonight and we shall head to Hugh's Room to warm our souls with Lightfoot music performed by some great talent! Perhaps this weekend The Man himself will grace the stage as he did last January!
I can't wait!!
and my dear cyber son/date, Kenyon, will be joining us on saturday night! LOL!
TOOOOO exciting!
char
happy happy happy!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
Janice

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
these shows serve as a substitute for his annual Massey Hall concerts.

Does this mean he's not doing the Massey shows in May???

I hope not - I was hoping for a well needed vacation in Toronto!

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Janice:

Janice

No I suspect the intention was to show that the Hugh's room shows have been in effect the substitute for the past two years
Every indication is that May is on providing the earlier concerts are as succesful as the Hamilton concerts obviously were
John Fowles
did you know that the longest word (45 characters) in Chambers Twentieth Century
dictionary is:-
pneumonoultramicroscopicvolcanoconiosis-
a miners lung disease caused by the inhalation of silicate or quartz dust

Old 01-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
Jenney

Janice

You may start packing anytime Janice, Massey Hall is scheduled for May 12, 13, 14 & 15. That's Weds - Sat night. I spoke to EMP this week and they reconfirmed it, and Gord said it when he was at Hugh's Room as well.

I just got in from a 12 hour ride down from Toronto, way too tired to make any more sense than that!
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
Sheryl Klein

Just checked my calendar -- May 12-15 is Thursday - Sunday.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
Janice

quote:Originally posted by Jenney:
You may start packing anytime Janice, Massey Hall is scheduled for May 12, 13, 14 & 15. That's Weds - Sat night.

This is wonderful news - thanks, Jenney! Now I know any job offers I get between now and then will have to be contingent on having that time off

How did you make it from Toronto to CT in 12 hours? It took me that long to get from Toronto to NH the last time I drove it!

Looking forward to reviews of the shows at Hugh's Room
Old 01-18-2005, 07:30 AM   #9
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

This is wonderful news - thanks, Jenney! Now I know any job offers I get between now and then will have to be contingent on having that time off

How did you make it from Toronto to CT in 12 hours? It took me that long to get from Toronto to NH the last time I drove it!

Looking forward to reviews of the shows at Hugh's Room

Sharon, the woman who went to Toronto with Mom and me, got us from Northern Maine to Toronto in just slightly less than 12 hours, right across the Trans Canada, at 90 mph all the way. And I had to sit in the d*mned suicide seat!
Once we got to Toronto, it took at least an hour to make it to the Delta Chelsea. The Don Valley Parkway was a huge parking lot. Then, when the Delta Chelsea was in sight, it took another half hour of going around in circles, trying to find the right one way street that went to the underground parking lot.
And we didn't get lost...not once on the way to Toronto. The way back was a different story altogether.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #10
campania

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Sharon, the woman who went to Toronto with Mom and me, got us from Northern Maine to Toronto in just slightly less than 12 hours, right across the Trans Canada, at 90 mph all the way. And I had to sit in the d*mned suicide seat!
Once we got to Toronto, it took at least an hour to make it to the Delta Chelsea. The Don Valley Parkway was a huge parking lot. Then, when the Delta Chelsea was in sight, it took another half hour of going around in circles, trying to find the right one way street that went to the underground parking lot.
And we didn't get lost...not once on the way to Toronto. The way back was a different story altogether.

Cathy: Try taking the "Don Valley Parkinglot" to work everyday!
Old 01-18-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
jj

It took me that long to get from Toronto to NH the last time I drove it!

glad ya made it home safely, jr

the only road trip i've ever taken into the US was from Toronto (well, just outside GTA actually, ask lsh if you don't know what that means )) to Mount Washington valley and that took 12 hours!

the CAA guy told us it would take 8 hours using the suggested routes, but he must have meant flying routes...or i'm already starting to drive like an old woman (i mean old guy )
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 PM   #12
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Yes Sheryl, my calendar has May 12th as a Thursday too. Hope somebody sorts this out soon. If the concerts are shifted, it will create all sorts of confusion for people holding tickets to the Nov 2002 concerts, not to mention some interesting issues if the dates are shifted. That is, if tickets to the Saturday concert in 2002 became tickets to the Sunday concert in 2005. Presumably, they will sort out the days/dates by the time the concerts are formally announced.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at mageenet.biz, Hamilton Camp's Offical Web Site at hamiltoncamp.com , and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com. Also visit Dr. Jack's Lightfoot page.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
johnfowles

Yes well Jenney did include a cop-out line
"I just got in from a 12 hour ride down from Toronto, way too tired to make any more sense than that!">
So I guess we can excuse her attempt to confuse everybody.
No doubt either hers or char's recounting of what happenned in Hugh's room will very shortly be forthcoming
John Fowles
If uplift is the same as lift up,why are upset and set up opposite in meaning
copyright Richard Lederer
Old 01-18-2005, 05:16 PM   #14
Iron

Sir John
The word now for that 45 character is "silicosis".No wonder they changed it..
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:08 PM   #15
charlene

I know too well the words for the disease - long and short - both of my grandfathrs were miners in Timmins, Ontario and both died from it. Hard working men who gave their lives to the gold.
Char
Old 01-22-2005, 05:51 AM   #16
Janice

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Then, when the Delta Chelsea was in sight, it took another half hour of going around in circles, trying to find the right one way street that went to the underground parking lot.

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who had that experience. Sunday when Alan and I were driving back from Char's, we had the same problem. We started off following Dan and his van load from Whitby, but once we reached Toronto, he had to turn off to take Paul to where he was staying, so Alan and I went on to the Delta Chelsea. There came a point where we could see the hotel, but could not find the street that would get us to it! We had quite the driving tour of downtown before we magically found the correct street. The funny thing is when I arrived Saturday morning, I drove straight there like I knew right where it was and when we drove back from the CharBQ Saturday, we went right there with no problem. I don't know if I just lost my bearings because I was following Dan and didn't have to pay attention or what. Alan kept kidding me about getting us lost and I kept telling him we weren't lost, I knew exactly where we were and could see right where we wanted to be
Old 01-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #17
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who had that experience. Sunday when Alan and I were driving back from Char's, we had the same problem. We started off following Dan and his van load from Whitby, but once we reached Toronto, he had to turn off to take Paul to where he was staying, so Alan and I went on to the Delta Chelsea. There came a point where we could see the hotel, but could not find the street that would get us to it! We had quite the driving tour of downtown before we magically found the correct street. The funny thing is when I arrived Saturday morning, I drove straight there like I knew right where it was and when we drove back from the CharBQ Saturday, we went right there with no problem. I don't know if I just lost my bearings because I was following Dan and didn't have to pay attention or what. Alan kept kidding me about getting us lost and I kept telling him we weren't lost, I knew exactly where we were and could see right where we wanted to be

Sometimes I think there is some truth to the old saying, "You just can't get there from here."

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #18
Jenney

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
Yes well Jenney did include a cop-out line
"I just got in from a 12 hour ride down from Toronto, way too tired to make any more sense than that!">
So I guess we can excuse her attempt to confuse everybody.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!!!
The concerts are Weds - Saturday. I thought I might have tha actual dates wrong, that's why I also put in that it was Weds - Sat. That's what you get for not having a calendar close by!

I've thoroughly enjoyed CHar's recaps of Hugh's Room, and can't think of anything quite yet that I would like to add. We had another great time this year, and I'm planning on attending every time they put on the tribute concerts. I'm especially appreciative of the timing this year, and we are starting a blizzard today and expect 15" of snow. I ran into heavy snow around Rochester, but nuttin' like that! Thank goodness. Or, as one of the performers stated during the tribute shows, "There is a Gord".

Too cold in my "computer room/basement" this weekend, so I'm off line for a bit.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #19
charlene

If the shows were this weekend we wouldn't be venturing out of the hotel! It is COLD!! Last night with wind chill was -25 F and now we're having a blizzard!
I HATE the cold!!
We'd be having a TWO Merlot bottle night at Hugh's!
It will be interesting to see if the shows will be back there -it's a great place, or if they do one show in a bigger venue. I like Hugh's Room a lot. Great seats, great sound, good food and service, easy to get to... Wherever it is I'll be there!