banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Moosedog

Default Eagles!

I'm excited.....bought tickets to see the Eagles in March! The same week I'll probably be seeing Gordon in Saginaw!

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
podunklander

Default Re: Eagles!

ah the beauty of March madness !!! Hope you have a very great time Vickie !!! And of course, we'l look forward to a report back here!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Moosedog

Thanks, Pam! You know you'll get a full report!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
Nightingale

Wow...the Eagles and Gordon all in one week! Now that sounds like fun

Hope you have a great time.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
fezo

Heck of a week you've got there!

My upcoming concerts in February will be Willie Nelson and Asleep at the Wheel in Red Bank (saw Gord there in 1986) and with any Luck Rodney Crowell in Chatham (that will actually be January - this Saturday!).
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Moosedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
Heck of a week you've got there!

My upcoming concerts in February will be Willie Nelson and Asleep at the Wheel in Red Bank (saw Gord there in 1986) and with any Luck Rodney Crowell in Chatham (that will actually be January - this Saturday!).
Sounds great! Make sure you tell us all about it!

Vickie
Old 01-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
I'm excited.....bought tickets to see the Eagles in March! The same week I'll probably be seeing Gordon in Saginaw!

Vickie
I envy you that week of seeing both Lightfoot and The Eagles ! MO the Eagles may not have quite invented Southwestern Rock, but they sure as hell made it a definate type and ubnique sound, an influence to many to this day. Even the name Southwestern Rock as a genre of music to my recollection did not exist before the Eagles. I think it was born more on the Desperado album - the 2ndor 3rd of theirs. Unless anyone questioned the new genre as beibng genuinely unique, The Desperado album put their quadaries to rest. With old west sounding songs like 'Dueling Dalton', Tequila Sunrise, and that great haunting song 'Bittercreek'. Even the cover of the album - the band dressed in genuine-looking dusty working-man clothes, or gunslingers who didn;t put their money into fancy duds and flash, worn boots, hats that looked stomped-on by a mad bull that ate loco-weed, and some fo those great riffs they laid down on that album almost defined the Eagles as band.

Don Henley and Glenn Frey IMO were the genius behind it all, with Frey the Rocker moreso, such as the after-Eagles days when he write those great theme songs like 'The Heat is On' for Miami Vice; and his same time period geat rockers with citified saxophone like 'You Belong to the City' - he left his Southwest behind in the dust. Then Din Henley emerged with that great string of hits such as Sunset Grill, The Boys of Summer New York Minute etc., left him sittin a big enough pile of cash that he could write whatever he wanted to - and did. He out to use more his literature background by specifically naming Huxley and Fitzgerald in that great song (danged if I remember the name) about Satan living in disguise in the city, voice-over for the bad one courtesy of the guy that played worf in Star The TNG Michael Dorn.

Didn't mean to go on so much - it goes w/o saying the greatness of Lightfoot we can agree on in here, and add the Eagles in one week - yee haw !

Have fun Vickie/Moosedog.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Steve,

I agree with a lot of your post but Timothy B. Schmit's band POCO before he joined the Eagles have a legitimate claim to the origin of the Southwestern Rock (sometimes now referred to as classic country rock) sound. Maybe splitting hairs a tad since Tim's contribution is huge in both groups but POCO had a few years headstart. Never quite made the real big money but Tim and the boys did all right for themselves. Check his website for some fun backstory.

http://www.timothybschmit.com/

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
fezo

Wow! Great night with Rodney Crowell last night.

He works with an acoustic trio these days with Jenny Scheinman on fiddle (would have also been mandolin but the pickup on the mandolin was broken) and Will Kimbrough on guitar and accordion along with the bass player du jour.

A great combination of things. Rodney has a million great songs so you can't get them all in but he tried to pull from close to thirty years worth of material which highlighting his current release Sex and Gasoline and his 2001 masterpiece The Houston Kid.

Interesting Eagles tie in - back in 2001 Don Henley called Steuart Smith who happened to be sitting in Rodney's kitchen at the moment. Steuart was Rodney's lead guitar player at the time. Henley offered him Don Felder's spot in the Eagles. He took Rodney's advice - "You gotta take it, man!" Yeah I guess so...

Great night. Well worth the morning after the night before effect.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
SilverHeels

Steve, where in Chatham did you see him?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
fezo

It's an outfit called Sanctuary Concerts - sanctuaryconcerts.org . They do their shows in the Presbyterian church there. Neat place. Couple of hundred people.

I was probably unique in that the other time I saw Rodney was even smaller - only 75 seats. The Tin Angel in Philadelphia. Great place for a show if you're in that area.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
podunklander

I regret having missed the Eagles concert (w/Heart and the Little River Band) at the Yale Bowl in the late 70's. All my neighborhood friends and my sister had gone and I was the only one who actually had to work lol. I missed a good one and have come across many folks since then who had been there and said the same. Though my friends all got sunburned pretty bad and said it was like being in a big frying pan.

And still, I've never gotten to see the Eagles!! Would like to see Heart too!! I think I did get to see the Little River Band.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
fezo

Oh, that sounds like it would have been great! The Yale Bowl is quite the place. Haven't been there in 40 years, however.... Used to go to football games there.

Haven't seen the Eagles.

Haven't seen Heart.

Did see the Little River Band in 1979 - opening for Jimmy Buffett. At Belmont in New York. The race track. Due to great luck in betting our license plates for the trifecta my brother and I actually made a profit of over $!00 each that day....
Old 01-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
Oh, that sounds like it would have been great! The Yale Bowl is quite the place. Haven't been there in 40 years, however.... Used to go to football games there.

Haven't seen the Eagles.

Haven't seen Heart.

Did see the Little River Band in 1979 - opening for Jimmy Buffett. At Belmont in New York. The race track. Due to great luck in betting our license plates for the trifecta my brother and I actually made a profit of over $!00 each that day....
I've been to Yale for the Volvo and Pilot Pen tennis tournament but never a concert nor football game there. That '79 concert sounds like it was a lot of fun! I can't recall where I saw the LRB and I had only been to less than a handful of concerts when I was a teen.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
fezo

Well, i hit the second of my musical fixes. Have to line up some more now...

Saw Willie Nelson and Asleep at the Wheel last night. Way good time. both acts have such deep catalogs that it's amazing that they are able to put on that kind of show and still hit most of the key songs you'd want and not have you saying 'he could have played x instead of y.' I should be in such good shape at 75!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
joveski

hate to burst your bubble but Dylan's lyrics were re-recorded in the studio afterwards for that tune. his voice was totally shot on that one!. i've heard the proper live version and they're really croaky. (this is if the tune youtube clip is from the official video)

i thought the other other guys did a good job... the man himself stuffed it up, initially
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #17
joveski

that blonde might be GE Smith - he was the producer for the event and played with Dylan between 88 and 90. if he he only played guitar on this track, its him
Old 03-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #18
joveski

yep, GE was the Paul Shaffer of SNL!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #19
charlene

Paul Shaffer became a band member for NBC's popular Saturday Night television program from 1975 to 1980, though briefly leaving the series in 1977. Though Shaffer was at the piano and appeared to actually be directing the band's actions, Howard Shore was credited as musical director on SNL during the 1975-1980 time frame. Shaffer eventually made regular appearances in the show's skits. He's been on Letterman show since 1982.

GE SMith was band leader after Paul I believe and he was married to Gilda Radner for a couple of years in the early 80's.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote