banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
seafarer62

Default Minneapolis (Sept. 19, 2018) Set List

The weather was balmy and the mood buzzing on Hennepin Avenue in downtown Minneapolis on Tuesday September 19, 2018. Gordon LIghtfoot's name was in lights above the State Theatre. Across the street at the Orpheum Theatre, the play "Hamilton" was playing to sold-out performances. Rumors are that tickets are going for $300 or more. Well, I am not into rap music, so I stuck with the old Canadian playing his 12-string.

The concert was advertised for 7:30 p.m. and Gord and the band were about 5 minutes late taking the stage. The main floor was pretty well sold out, but maybe just 1/3 of the balcony. He was wearing the blue vest without the blue coat. Black jeans. Looked like white boots.

Here is the set list:

1) Waiting for You
2) Cotton Jenney
3) Too Many Clues in this Room
4) Never Too Close
5) Don Quixote
6) Minstrel of the Dawn
7) Beautiful
8) Shadows
9) Much to My Suprise
10) Cold on the Shoulder
11) Race Among the Ruins
12) Wreck of the E.F.
13) Carefree Highway

intermission

14) Did She Mention My Name
15) Ribbon of Darkness
16) Sundown
17) The Pony Man
18) 14 Karat Gold
19) I'd Rather Press On
20) Rainy Day People
21) A Painter Passing Through
22) If You Could Read My Mind
23) Restless
24) Baby Step Back
25) Early Morning Rain
Encore:
26) Let It Ride

I was really impressed with the sound mix at this concert. I was about 5 rows back on Carter Lancaster's side. Not far from the speakers. Gord's voice was not lost among the instruments as I had previously experienced. Gord was energetic and hit his stride even with Cotton Jenney. His voice was strong until about Restless when he started needing a drink from a white bottle that looked like biotene. He had to blow his nose before Early Morning Rain and acknowledged the embarrassment of having to do that before a big audience.

At intermission, I talked to the couple next to me and they had the same observation that I did about how well he was clearly he was singing and that he was remembering lyrics without flubs. This is about my 70th Lightfoot concert over 42 years now. I would give this one an "A" for technical performance and a A+ for inspiration and effort. What an encouragement to keep going as I look at my own retirement sometime over the next 3-4 years.

My wife and I have tickets to see him in Eau Claire on Sunday September 30 and I will report back with a set list and review. Catch Gord if you can with the remaining 2018 tour dates!

John Wicklund
Forest Lake, MN
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Minneapolis (Sept. 19, 2018) Set List

awesome report John! I have heard how wonderful he's sounding during this tour so I hope it continues to your next show on the 30th!
It's so amazing that as he heads to 80 he just seems to will himself to still be as perfect as he possibly can be. It's mind boggling really...
We fans are SO lucky...so so lucky...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote