banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
charlene

Review: New sound from Alan Jackson
Staff and agencies
25 September, 2006

By MICHAEL McCALL, For The Associated Press 17 minutes ago

Alan Jackson , "Like Red on a Rose" (Arista)

In the biggest departure of his career, the longtime traditionalist moves away from country instrumentation to focus on smooth adult-contemporary ballads, many about aging and love between a mature couple with a long history.

The new sound has more in common with Gordon Lightfoot or latter-day Eric Clapton than with Merle Haggard or any of the usual Jackson influences. The shaded arrangements allow Jackson to explore new nuances in his voice, especially on superb renderings of Leon Russell ‘s "Bluebird" and Herb Pederson‘s "Wait a Minute."
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
charlene

Review: New sound from Alan Jackson
Staff and agencies
25 September, 2006

By MICHAEL McCALL, For The Associated Press 17 minutes ago

Alan Jackson , "Like Red on a Rose" (Arista)

In the biggest departure of his career, the longtime traditionalist moves away from country instrumentation to focus on smooth adult-contemporary ballads, many about aging and love between a mature couple with a long history.

The new sound has more in common with Gordon Lightfoot or latter-day Eric Clapton than with Merle Haggard or any of the usual Jackson influences. The shaded arrangements allow Jackson to explore new nuances in his voice, especially on superb renderings of Leon Russell ‘s "Bluebird" and Herb Pederson‘s "Wait a Minute."
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
mnmouse

I was just listening to this album this morning...definitely a departure for Alan Jackson, but *very* well done.

These lines from The Firefly's Song especially caught my attention:

"I used to sing with a young man’s voice
A young man’s heart and a young man’s choice
Hope my song is what you’re longing for
I don’t sing like I used to
Sometimes, less is more…"

[ September 26, 2006, 10:41: Message edited by: mnmouse ]
mnmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
RM

I was pleased to see a Herb Pedersen tune (Wait a Minute) on the track list. That song goes back about 30 years, and was on his debut solo album. Pedersen also sang harmony on GL's In My Fashion. He was very influential in creating the Southern Cal. sound of the 70's.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
mnmouse

RMD,
Alan does a beautiful job on "Wait a Minute". This is one of the better albums I have heard in a while.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Iron

Alan has always been one of backseat favorites,have not been keepin up on this recent stuff.I'll have to check this out!! ThanksChar!!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
DJ in MJ

I'm going to check this out too. I enjoy a fair amount of Alan's work.

Thanks, Char.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #8
Iron

Finally got around to checkin it out..JMO but I surely don't get the Gord aroma??Maybe 3 songs on the cd,for me..I'll keep at it and give it some time..
I've always liked most of Alan's work,but this one just don't do it for me..sorry to dissagree..
"Like Red on a Rose" though produced by a multigigabillion famous artist such as Alan Jackson....I don't think it holds a candle to "The Cuts"....
I was lookin forward to takin Alan's new cd to work and losin a day like I did with Bill's....not going to happen with this one..sorry Alan
Old 10-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
mnmouse

Brian, I will agree there is no Gord similarity there. I have listened to the CD quite a bit now and there are a few I skip completely (`Red on a Rose' is one of them.) There are a few that I like very much, however. (`Anywhere On Earth You Are', `Had It Not Been You', and `Bluebird'.) It is a departure for him, and I do like it.
Do I like it as much as Bill's? No. "Cuts" is in a league of its own, and I will be listening to it long after the others are shelved.