banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #26
Yuri

Crazy?, You Want Crazy?? (or, Always the dreamer.....)

For Gord's 70th birthday, let's all save up and meet in British Columbia. (still two years to prepare)

We could book a 'pullman' dome car or two and the "Corfid Express" could "chug" easterly throgh the magnificent rockies. We could be "drinkin' bad whiskey" (or not) while paying homage to the "lackies" who lost their lives constructing this unrecognized wonder of the world.

The tremendous talent in our "Corfid Family" could help us belt out 'Canadian Railroad Trilogy', 'Steel Rail Blues', 'Alberta Bound' as well as all the other gems - then do it all over again!! Mile after 'Clickety Clack' mile!

Talent? Why not video tape and edit the trip to be presented to Gord after we pull into Union Station and march up Yonge Street to Massey Hall.

Maybe some of us with better connections could even get some of the Pro's Gord has infuenced to do a short video spot to be mixed into the project (Ian & Sylvia to Aengus Finnan. I even hear that Elvis has recently been seen in Michigan)

(for some of us rather "long in the tooth" it might be our "last hurrah"!)

What 'd'ya think?

I figure it is between that or we all pitch in for a dozen roses to fling onto the stage at intermission.

(shhhh!!!don't let him know what we decide)

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #27
Iron

Guess You got me on the D-18 Val!!But thats the only time it happened to me! Thats my story and I'm st sticken to it!

Just a lighthearted "Lighthead" synonym Borderstone,perhaps I should have been a bit more creative.I rescind the"fruitcake"reference,but by the same token,there's gotta be something better than "lighthead"or "lightheads"
Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #28
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Did you ever do something 'Crazy,' 'Devoted,' 'Odd,' to get Lightfoot Merchandis

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2007/06...anadapost.html

Last week I went to my local post office, one mile from where I live. I was hoping to be able to buy some more Lightfoot stamps, but was pretty sure there would be none left.

So I was right, the lady said {no} we are all out, and I will not be ordering more at this time of the year. I had seen some just a week before.

So I decided to try 2 more places. No luck but the 2nd place the lady said, I can try to order some more, give me your telephone # and I will call you if some do get in.

Tuesday morning of this week, 12/11, at 7:45 am the phone rang, and good news!!! she had receive just 10 more booklets, with only 2 that had Lightfoot's face on the cover.

My car was not available for me that morning, and I didn't want to risk losing these precious stamps... So it got me thinking, this post office was 5 miles from my home. Should I ? Will I ? Yes I did the walk back and forth... Ten miles in a beautiful sunny, but cold morning.

It took me 3 hours and 20 minutes. I walk about 1 mile per 20 minutes. I bought the whole package, and the lady said there will be new stamps of different Canadian signers next year. Hope she's right...

~ Jesse Joe ~

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 12-13-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #29
talbot10

Default Re: Did you ever do something 'Crazy,' 'Devoted,' 'Odd,' to get Lightfoot Merchandis

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Flying to Hartford CT. to meet up with Jenney and then drive with her, her hubby and meet Susan,John,and Billyboy, in Wayne NJ to see Aengus, Jory and Terry Tufts do a two hour cabin concert of Lightfoot tunes on Nov.14/2004...

Irony was to have me fly from Toronto where Aengus and Jory live, to the U.S. and be met with 5 inches of snow....
sheesh...
well worth the trip even if Gord wasn't there!
That was a great show for sure Charzo and great company too!!!
Bill
Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #30
podunklander

'''

Last edited by podunklander; 02-04-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #31
Jesse Joe

Hey podunklander, that to me was a real bad landlord... But interesting story.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #32
Auburn Annie

Glad you and your son are out of that rat-trap. That judge has no sense at all - not unusual among people in a position of power. Short of them committing homicide in view of a full court, judges are notoriously hard to remove from the bench, and in many places have lifetime employment as appointees. Sorry you got a nut. Maybe her hemorrhoids were bothering her.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #33
Rainbow Trout

How ridiulous that landlord and Judge were, don't they know they should consider theirselves honored to hear such wonderful music? Shame on them!! Glad you got away from there.
Rainbow Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #34
JohnStinson

The above were fun to read.

I just (last month) bought a Gibson B45-12 (a Gord model) on eBay for $1000.
Flu from Toronto to Washington to pick it up. Drove back ...felt guilty at the border and paid up my $135 in taxes.

$200 flight
$80 food.

YES BUT NOW I HAVE A GREAT SOUNDING GUITAR.
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #35
JohnStinson

Oh I forgot ...

Then I put a $350 electic pick-up in it

john
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #36
Jesse Joe

Lucky you John that's a gem of a guitar. Do you know the year of it. I could have bought one down here in a local guitar shop, about 10 years ago. They had it for $1250. But they sold it for $1000. It was a 1962 and it was a little bit battered scratchy, but sunburst in color, like Gord's. I did not find one since. But at the Lightfoot concert here May 11th of this year, I eyeballed the 2 Lightfoot 12 strings. Man those 2 looked great and sounded very very good.