banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
charlene

Default Andy Griffith has died @ 86

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/S...161201175.html
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Bill

Default Re: Andy Griffith has died @ 86

Just saw this...another of my childhood icons passing on. I grew up with Sheriff Andy.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
niffer

A number of years ago, my son Andrew was home sick from school and we watched an episode of The Andy Griffith Show together. It was the one where the guy with many sons and one daughter brought all the kids to Mayberry so the girl could meet her fiancé at the bus stop (I think). The girl sees Sherriff Taylor and is instantly smitten. Her father chastises her, and the girl says, "Aw, Pa, can't I even look at the purty man?"

A couple of years later, Andrew broke his leg snowboarding and needed surgery. I was in his room after the surgery, when he suddenly sat up in bed and said, "Aw, pa, can't I even look at the purty man?" Fortunately we were alone in the room

RIP, Andy, you will be missed.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
charlene

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#...vault-love.cnn

3 clips..

what a lovely gentle man..
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
charlene

here's our very own Ed Ringwald (Pee Wee) and one of the groups he's in performing the theme song from the Andy Griffith show.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Borderstone

All I can say,first of all,is that it's no small irony
that he should pass away only weeks after George Lindsay
and only 3 days shy of a month after having reached the age of 86.

I started watching "The Andy Griffith Show" in re-runs 35 years ago in 1977. The show (and Mayberry RFD) had been off CBS for quite some time. His "Andy Taylor" is one of many TV fathers a lot of us wish we could have had.

Fair but firm but also,at the same time,easy going and funny. A pretty good description of Griffith himself,although he was as "aw shucks: as Andy
was at first and certainly wouldb't tolerate some of the crazy characters on the show,should there be ones like that in real life.

The most recent show I caught was in color & is the one where New deputy Warren & Goober follow him & Helen up to the lake,beecause Warren has had a prediction of danger.
Just 2 nights ago,I was up late and saw that Matlock was on.the scene I (ironically) saw was Ben being ushered out of the courtroom in contempt.

I also liked Griffith's comedy recordings from the 1950s "What It Was,Was Football" and a recording that was actuually a national #26 hit in April of 1955 "Make Yourself Comfortable". I even have the album it's from & (at one time) owned a cassette of his routines.

His passing makes me very sad but also very glad that last year,I finally his 2 best known movies "No Time For Saergent's" and "A Face In The Crowd". If you've never seen them,please do so,neither role is anything like "Andy Taylor".

So,I thank Andy for the shows that made me laugh with Don Knotts (and even without),as well as the other characters.....
but also the shows that made us think about the simple human things of love & respect of people and showing us that a family is not just a dad,a mom and a bunch of kids & a dog.

I'm sure many wish we could always apply the simple values demonstrated and shown in Griffth's portrayal of the sheriff that (rarely) carried a gun. That feeling continued,I feel,in the 1986 reunion "Return To Mayberry".

Rest In Peace Andy,you're works will never be forgotten.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Sydney Steve

My only exposure was of comedy monologues he did called " What It Was Was Football" and "Romeo & Juliet" which featured on a comedy compilation of artists of the 50's owned by my father. It was called "Comedy Caravan" and I played it off and on throughout the 60's and early 70's before I left home and know it pretty much by heart ( complete with bad imitation accent.)

A little net search and the tracks come up as :

1.Various - What it was, was football Andy Griffith (05:59)
2.Various - John & Marsha Stan Freberg (02:36)
3.Various - The Bees & the Birds Yogi Yorgesson (03:11)
4.Various - Little Bo Peep Stan Freberg (04:28)
5.Various - Its in the Book Johnnie Standley (01:49)
6.Various - St George & the Dragonet Stan Freberg (03:35)
7.Various - Yokahama Mama Harry Kari (02:58)
8.Various - Romeo & Juliet Andy Griffith (07:11)
9.Various - Object of my affection Yogi Yorgesson (03:14)
10.Various - Little Blue Riding Hood Stan Freberg (03:52)
Old 07-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
timetraveler

I watched the Andy Griffith show for a dogs age. One of my favourite characters was Ernest T Bass. As I grew older I out grew the show & then along came Matlock. I didn't know what to think of the show, but I found it enjoyable. Other things that he did that I liked was a film called No Time For Sergeants, which was really funny to see. Not long ago I saw a country music video for a tune called Waiting On A Woman & it was beautiful to see. The end of the video was something of a tear jerker though, but it was still a well done piece. What impressed me was how natural Griffith looked in the video & his interaction with the artist. Let's face it, neither Mayberry or Atlanta will ever be the same again.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
charlene