banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
charlene

Default Condolence/sympathy/memories messages for TERRY- post here

Please post messages here and I will print them and send to the appropriate people.
Please do not reply to another post.
Char
pic by D.Rosati - Massey Hall-Nov.21,2009
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639small.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	4170  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Gord H

Default Re: Condolence/sympathy/memories messages - post here

To Gord, Barry, Mike, Rick, the staff at EMP and Terry's family:

It saddened me to learn of Terry's passing. He was the perfect gentleman and a class act. I consider myself fortunate that I had the opportunity to have met Terry a few times over the last 20 years at concerts in Southern Ontario.

My thoughts are with you all at this most difficult time

Sincerely
Gord Henwood
Brantford ON
Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Jenney

Dear Roz and family.
Terry had just started with the band when I saw my first concert. I watched him grow up as I grew up. Even though he didn't know it for the first 25 years, he was a huge part of my life for over 40 years.
He spoke of you often and with enormous pride. It was obvious that he loved his family very much. Thank you for sharing him with all of us, we will all miss him.

Jenney Rivard
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
jj

My comforting wishes go out to Terry's family, the band, management & other loved ones at this difficult time. I imagine that you have all been drained of emotions throughout the past several weeks, perhaps much longer. You are presently in our thoughts and will be in the days and weeks that follow.

I never knew Terry Clements, other than checking out album sleeve photos and positioning myself very near our hifi speakers these past several decades so I could best hear his flat pick plucking away or brushing over the strings. Having said that, my eyes and ears were glued to him during many live performances and just by picking up on his quietly, magnetic, stage vibe and in occasionally watching his interactions with so many others after the shows, I truly feel our Earth just lost a big part of its genuine goodness and subtle luster...and Heaven is now glowing brighter than it ever has before.

Although it may not be vacant, going forward, I'll always see an empty stool on the Lightfoot stage. At 8pm, when the house lights go down at Massey this spring, Terry's absence will sadden many other distant fans such as myself, but his legacy will ultimately brighten our spirits. I wouldn't be surprised if he's lurking somewhere above the gallery, perhaps playing along, but definitely wearing a grin.

I don't know a whole lot about the band, but was glad to learn that Terry had family and his loving descendants have an opportunity to carry the Clements torch.

With respect,

James J.
Canada
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
niffer

To Gordon, Rick, Barry, and Mike:

I was terribly saddened to hear that Terry had passed away. I remember seeing you all in Aurora, IL in 2005 and being amazed at Terry's playing on "Never Too Close", how he managed to stay so true to the recording while at the same time sounding so fresh and original. And I will always treasure the memory of seeing you in my town, Appleton, WI in March of 2008, when the sound was great and everyone, Terry especially, seemed so playful and lighthearted.
My deepest condolences on your loss.

Jennifer Perry
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Sundreme

To Gord, the guys in the band, Terry's family, friends and all that loved him,
I am so sorry for your loss. I met Terry on a number of occasions over the years and he was never anything less than kind to me. In addition to being a talented guitarist, he was truly a wonderful human being. He was one of a kind and I am grateful for the privilege of both seeing him perform beside Gord in concert and being able to meet and speak to him. Although this is a terribly sad occasion, I know I will always remember him with a smile.
Sincerely,
Erica
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
bjm7777

To Gordon, Rick, Mike and Barry: My sincere condolences in this difficult time. I only saw you guys play three times, and never met any of you, but I remember taking binoculars to one show, just to watch Terry play. I enjoyed that almost as much as the music itself. He left a mark, that's for sure...
Old 02-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
T.G.

I got to meet Terry twice in the last few years -- after a Massey Hall show and following the CHUM 50th anniversary concert at Toronto's Nathan Phillips Square. At both times, he was very approachable and willing to talk to a fan. So apart from being a terrific musician -- his lead run on Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald will go down in the annals -- it is clear he was also a terrific human being. My condolences to the family and the Gordon Lightfoot organization.

Tony
Ontario, Canada
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
Melissa

To All of Terry's Family & Friends -
My words are not enough to express the deep sadness I feel over the loss of Terry. That loss is being felt by his countless fans in places around the world where his masterful guitar playing touched our hearts. Not only was Terry a wonderful musician, but was also one of the nicest people I ever met. He always had a smile and a cheerful word for fans after the shows. I am so very sorry for the pain you are suffering and I pray that, in time, you will take comfort in the thought that Terry's presence will always be felt by us, every time we attend a concert, every time we hear a recording, every time we think of all the wonderful music Terry gave us.

To Gord, Rick, Barry & Michael -
Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this terribly difficult time. I know you will all find the strength to carry on because that's what Terry would want. His wonderful smile will always be shining down on you whenever you take the stage.

With deepest sympathy,
Melissa
Austin, TX
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #10
Unsettled 1

Gord, Rick, Mike, and Barry,
I hope you find peace in knowing how much Terry meant to so many. I know he'll always be there in spirit.
Play on..
Unsettled 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
nvtmusic

Just wanted to offer our condolences to Terrys family , and to The lightfoot band, and extended family .
Wishing You Peace in this Sad Time
Mike & Marsha Iula
Vermont
nvtmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
bjb

To all,
Terry added some exquisitely beautiful moments to already gorgeous songs. When I signed up for guitar lessons, it was with aspirations to be able to make those kinds of memorable moments. I remember seeing him shake his head once over a performance he wasn't happy with, and the whole audience bursting into applause because what wasn't perfect to him was still outstanding to us, and also in appreciation for all his contributions over the years. I loved to see him smile.
bjb
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

To Terry's family, to Gordon and the band,

I am so sorry for your loss. Terry's contribution to my life through his beautiful music has been incredible. His music plays in my world every day of my life. He added so much to Gordon's beautiful music. In recent years I made sure I sat near the front at concerts just to watch him play. That he loved to play showed on his face and in the way he moved. To watch his fingers play those notes was magical, as was the smile he flashed when he got a round of applause. He was a kind and humble man. Thank you for sharing Terry with us all these years. he will be missed.
lisa
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
teherie

To Terry's family, Gordon, the band and crew:

Even though we have never met, we we are friends drawn together by a common bond and as a result I feel a sense of loss.

I once read a quote "Death ends a life, not a relationship" and Terry was an integral part of something special during 5 decades. As a result of his contributions, I have been able to pass this along to my kids and am now sharing it with my grand-daughter. To prove my point:

My son returned from a whale watching trip on a picture perfect day in Hawaii. He told me that he was listening to Gordon Lightfoot tunes out on the water including "Ode to Big Blue" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald' so Terry (and Red) were in great form keeping that relationship alive. What a great way to be remembered. We should all be so lucky.
teherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #15
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

To Terry's family, Gordon Lightfoot and the rest of the Gordon Lightfoot band, I will pray for each and every one of you with your devastating lost. Mr. Terry was much too young when he passed. I believe he was the same age my grandad was when he passed of a heart attack (age 63). But keep in mind it's not good-bye forever, for we will all meet again in Heaven someday when the rest of our time comes. Until then, the angels will get to enjoy his beautiful music in heaven.

-Douglas Dowdy
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #16
redhead

To The Clements Family and to all of Terry's Friends and Associates: My heart goes out to you in mourning the loss of this wonderfully talented man.
His work has been a presence in my life for many years and even though I never had the pleasure of meeting him, the memory of his smiling face is an image I will always carry with me.

May he rest easy.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #17
Bill

My deepest sympathy to Terry's family and circle of friends. I grew up listening to and learning from his musical input to Lightfoot. And with the Lightfoot website I was able to hear so many wonderful stories of the grace that he personified as a man. He is so deeply treasured by so many whom he never met, but nevertheless touched.
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #18
dad2mak

To Terry's family, and to Gordon and the band:

Words seem so inadequate at times like these, but unfortunately they are all we have. All I can say is a heartfelt "Thank you" to Terry for all his music has meant to us. Gordon writes notes and words, but Terry filled in all the blanks between words and notes magnificently. When we hear Lightfoot songs, we hear the licks Terry invented for those songs.

Thank you, Terry, for the music. And thank you to his family for sharing him with us.

Don
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #19
BendRick

Just wanted to say as a long-time fan of Gord's music for so long a time, Terry Clements guitar work has been a favorite of mine for many years. It is the combination of great vocals & great musicians that make this work so successfully. I'll never forget when Terry looked at me when I sat in the front row at the 2000 Reno Concert, it was like he was looking around at his fans to read their faces or something, at any rate I have enjoyed this man's music, good bye Terry Clements.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #20
brink-

To Terry's family - I was very fortunate to have met Terry in the past few years. He always remembered us. He was so very proud of his family, he showed me pictures of his beautiful wife and children - he told me his wife was the reason his children were perfect. I truly believe he said that in all honesty.

To Gord, Rick, Barry, Mike and the EMP staff and roadies, although I didn't know him for as long or as well as you all did you are not alone in your feeling of loss. We the fans will always be here to support you, Terry is missed terribly and Massey will feel quite different this time around. Gotta love the recordings - he will be with us forever. I hope as time marches on that time will ease the pain and you will only have fond memories of the happy times you all shared.

Regards
Deb Brinkley
Colorado
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
OldDan

Heartfelt condolences to Terry's family, Gordon, Rick, Barry, Mike and the EMP organization. Terry was an accomplished musician and an integral part of the "Lightfoot sound". I spoke with him briefly in 2008 after a concert at the Genesee Theatre in Waukegan, IL. Nice man, he will be missed.
OldDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
Borderstone

In memory of Terry and to all those who were closest to him,all I can say is that God will be with everyone at this crucial time. My sincerest condolences to all.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #23
Auburn Annie

There's a hole in the Lightfoot "family" of musicians, staff, friends and relatives that won't be filled in this lifetime. All we can do is hold on tight to each other and take solace in the funny moments and in the gifted sound he left us in the recordings and our memories of the live performances. God bless his family.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #24
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

I'm sorry that I don't follow the GL scene like I used to - until an hour or two ago I totally didn't know about this.

I don't think I'd ever interacted with Terry over the years - really, Mike and Rick are the only band members I've ever had any kind of meaningful conversation with - but I always admired his work and I'm terribly sad to hear of his passing.

Andy T.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #25
hkusam

I would like to express my sympathies to Terry's family. I count myself fortunate that I was able to meet him and shake his hand and tell him how much I enjoyed the concert. In those moments one could think that he was the "star" of the show, but in his unassuming way he would certainly laugh that off. Perhaps it will be a consolation to his loved ones that he will be long remembered by so many for his beautiful music.
Richard Miller
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote