banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
seahawk11

Default Warner Bros. demos...

I'm probably going over old ground here, but I finally downloaded the Warner Brothers demos Gord did back in the mid-60's...and am absolutely floored. So many songs I have never heard before, and so many good ones. What a great Christmas present to myself! How is it that more of these didn't end up on records, or even on the Songbook box set??

After some early listenings, a couple of these tunes really stand out for me: Sands of Time and, especially, New Day (the hook in this song is so clever and unlike anything I have ever heard before). These songs spin around my head all day and show once again what an unbelievable talent Gord has. For those that do not have this set, get it and enjoy (the last place I saw this out here in the DMZ was at the Dime torrent website).

Best,

Tony
seahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
joveski

Default Re: Warner Bros. demos...

i've always loved these. the sound quality isnt too crash hot, but the songs are. i've always wondered why Crossroads is slapped on at the end though??
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

Crossroads is such a great song, but I agree w/ what you say Joveski.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
JohnStinson

WOW.

I love finding new Gord tunes that I have never listened to.

I will definitely look for this.

(up until 5 weeks ago..I had never heard the Waiting For You album in its entirety ...had heard a number of cuts from performances...But wow! I just loved listening to it...over and over. That Ring Them Bells is absolutely brilliantly done. even though its a cover)(When I first heard the Box Set and the few unreleased songs...loved Pardon Me and Borderstone) Someone tell Gord to keep writing until he is 110 years old.
I don't want to hear this ..."I've said everthing I need to say" excuse.
We want more! We want more!

John
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Although Crossroads has for me never approached being one of my personal favourites. I too have often questioned what if any justification or even logic there was for including it in this set of demos which were presumably intended to showcase Gord's songwriting talents to Warner Seven Arts Records,when he at the time was under contract to United Artists and had already included Crossroads on the first UA album (Lightfoot!) In fact the first copy of the Demos CD I acquired omitted Crossroads entirely
The question of the inclusion of Crossroads has been discussed here before most fully at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=12157
a topic cleverly entitled:-
Warner Brothers 1964 to 1966 Demos Artwork
A topic afflicted with the deadly corfid duplicate posting disease I might add
This was a topic I started over two years ago when I spotted an ebay auction featuring with some different artwork
and in which the track listing is as on this revised CD insert

and where Val in one reply said
"In spite of the fact that most people don't include it, Crossroads is one of the tracks on the WB demos. I have the original records, which consist of two LPs, one of which is a "normal" two-sided record, and the other is only one side (the second side has nothing recorded on it).

There are 23 songs on the first record and 9 on the second, and Crossroads is one of them. Although most bootlegs of the material include only 31 songs, there were in fact 32."
Noting that Tony has found the torrent I checked my hard drive and found that I had saved just Crossroads from it in FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) format.
I had then decoded it to a full wav file that is 28.9 MB (30,354,956 bytes) and runs for 2minutes 52 seconds . Since that arch perfectionist Lightfoot is incapable once he has settled on an interpretation of one of his songs of changing it in any significant manner it is no surprise that this "version" is extremely similar to the "original" issue on Lightfoot!, although as Mende said in December 2005 "but it does sound like an inferior sounding version of the album one" and I would add now after comparing both wav files especially in the relative loudness and quality of the harmonica accompaniment with just one other material difference that I can spot without doing an exhaustive acoustical comparison.
The Lightfoot! version runs 2:58 and is therefore rips to a slightly larger wav file:-
30.0 MB (31,547,124 bytes)
There is also the point that the demos are attributed to the November 1964 onwards timeframe whereas Lightfoot! was apparently recorded in December 1964 but not released until January 1966
(as stated by the usually reliable Wayne on:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/chron02.htm)
so maybe there was some intent to supply WB with a different recording to the one used by UA in case UA failed to release the debut album
As Tony said
"After some early listenings, a couple of these tunes really stand out for me:"
I found that as with all GL albums initially one is relatively unimpressed , but after many listenings you catch on to certain songs in a big way as Tony has already found out.
For me I always enjoy very much
31_Weep_Not_For_Me
06_When_Spring_Was_O'er_the_Land
10_A_Ring_And_A_Secret
Whatever if I can determine the font used on the alternative front insert

I might try to recreate that "Echoes of Heroes" artwork .
I have tried contacting the pedlars of that version of the CD but they claimed not to be able to access the artwork and I do not fancy paying good money to the bootleggers just to acquire a set of artwork
Zoneranger can you have a go at it for us???

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Kerstin

Where can I get these demo recordings?
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
seahawk11

I found the demos at the dime torrent website (it's dimeadozen.com, or something like that). You'll need to register with them, which sometimes can be a hassle because they have a 100,000 member limit. Read through their FAQ's to help you understand this 'torrent' concept of 'seeding' and 'leeching' of shows. Once you get registered and the torrent software downloaded/working, you can download the Gordon Lightfoot thing. Depending on the speed of your connection and how many computers out there are 'seeding' the show, the download could take several hours. When completed, the downloaded folder will contain a bunch of 'flac' (or 'shn') files, which is a way of zipping audio without any loss. You'll then need to go out on the web to find a flac to wave converter to actually get usable files. Sounds like a lot of work, but well worth it...and the price is right. All of this is free!
Best,
Tony

Last edited by seahawk11; 01-03-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Kerstin

Thanks for the info, Tony.
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
Dream Street Rose

Hey Kerstin,

How about you do the work and share with me.

DSR
Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #10
Peter Bro10

May I suggest you search "sugarmegs" here at corfid and check out the old threads... strange what you may find!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
Peter Bro10

In regards to the previous post, perhaps I should clarify just a bit. When I said "search", I meant you should use the search tool at the top of the corfid page, 6th item from the left. type in "sugarmegs" (leave on the "show threads" item) and hit "go". It will show 3 (maybe 4 now) threads. You'll learn a whole bunch reading up on this old threads stuff.

I'd also search "Wolfgang's Vault". use the link in that thread to discover a real gem!

I'd also encourage you to delve deeply into Wayne Francis site (lightfoot.ca). The man has put an incredible amount to info into that site! you'll find write ups on most all of these and more.

Just keep digging and you'll be amazed at what you may find... enjoy the journey!

Peter Bro10
Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #12
paddletothesea

Where if anyplace was the song "Harbour Le Cou" from(sp?) I really like that song and suprised it was never on an album. I suppose it was just single that Gord made. any ideas?
norm
paddletothesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
Peter Bro10

Check this link, it to the Canadian Talent Library LP

http://www.lightfoot.ca/ctllist.htm

Wayne has a ton of info on his site... just keep looking.

Peter Bro10
Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #14
Jesse Joe

I agree Pete, Wayne's Site is very informative. I also like Val Sites, for things( Lightfoot) to buy. In one bootleg he sings "Turn Turn Turn" sort a like the Joan Baez style. I think anyway.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 01-05-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
Suzi

Canadian Talent Library is NOT a bootleg.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #16
Jesse Joe

Hi Suzi, your probably right. But the one I was speaking of that he sings 'Turn Turn Turn' is a bootleg, solo performance. Sorry for not explaining myself properly.

http://www.lightfoot.ca/bootlegs.htm

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 01-05-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #17
seahawk11

The really strange thing is that these demos were supposed to present Gord to Warner Brothers, right? Yet there isn't much of a hint of the IYCRMM or Sundown type songs that are to come in a few short years.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #18
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Hi Suzi, your probably right. But the one I was speaking of that he sings 'Turn Turn Turn' is a bootleg, solo performance. Sorry for not explaining myself properly.

http://www.lightfoot.ca/bootlegs.htm
Well I dunno Omer what you were thinking of this thread has as its subject Warner demos not Canadian Talent Library and
although to be fair first Norman then young Peter tried to switch the subject to CTL your reply at first sight definitely seemed to infer that you were therefore referrring to the non-bootleg CTL which just so happens to have a version of Turn to the third on it. but no you actually switched to the bootleg Yellow Bird and its inclusion of Turn3 from thj 1965 La Cave GL solo recording bootleg
Anyway you all might like to see the artwork for the demos as uploaded to the torrent at dimeadozen by one commenter

IMHO the booklet/front insert is pretty uninspired particularly compared to the artistic flair shown by whoever drew up the "Echoes of Of Heroes" version I displayed earlier and which I hope zoneranger can duplicate as I suggested
[img][http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot/Echoes_front.jpg[/img]

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #19
Jesse Joe

Oui Monsieur Fowles,

Thats why I had to change it, in order to explain myself better.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
peter k

Hello,

I was wondering if you might know how I could go about getting my hands on a copy of the Gordon Lightfoot Warner Brothers Demos? Im a huge fan and I really need to hear it.

Thanks, Peter
peter k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #21
charlene

try this - click on the word FIRST and follow instructions:
http://www.raremp3.co.uk/search/labe...ON%20LIGHTFOOT
click on DEMOS for more info about them.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #22
peter k

Thanks so much.
peter k is offline   Reply With Quote