banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #26
Gitchigumee

Default Re: 50th anniversary of Mariposa report

Wow, that is so special! Gives me goose bumps, and almost tears. Happy Birthday Char, how wonderful.

(way to go Gord!)
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #27
charlene

ALMOST???
lol
I shook and wept and so did everyone with me!
lol
it was FABULOUS!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #28
Same Old Loverman

THAT is really cool! Looking forward to the details!
Same Old Loverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #29
Gitchigumee

I found this clip from the LAST time Gord sang it for you Char, in February 2008. Hope you don't mind my sharing it here.

http://letras.terra.com/lightfoot-gordon/607560/
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."

Last edited by Gitchigumee; 07-12-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #30
charlene

My friend Lori shot that footage in Orlando..great stuff!
there's a video of an even more recent time he sang it for me -January 2010 at Hugh's Room..and I have yesterdays video that I just viewed on my computer..it's quite shaky!!
I'll post some of them on YouTube asap.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #31
buzzard

lol
it was FABULOUS

So true . . . Even brought a crusty old accountant to tears!
I'm sure there will be much more detail to follow. This was an amazing moment in a really great day.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #32
charlene

http://www.orilliapacket.com/Article...aspx?e=2664219
pic at link
Folk fest fine at 50
Posted By SARA ROSS, THE PACKET AND TIMES
Updated 9 hours ago

Sitting under a tree, licking an ice cream cone 83-year-old Ruth Jones-McVeigh doesn't stand out among the throngs of eccentrically dressed individuals swaying to folk music.

But, without her, the Mariposa Folk Festival wouldn't be celebrating its 50th birthday.

It was Jones-McVeigh who in 1961, as a 33-year-old mother of four, came up with the idea of a folk festival in Orillia.

"Seeing Sylvia Tyson was a real shakeup for me," Jones-McVeigh said Saturday.

Tyson, then Sylvia Fricker, headlined the first festival as a duo with future husband Ian Tyson. She was back to entertain audiences in workshops on Saturday and on the main stage to help close the event Sunday night.

"She brought tears to my eyes. That took me right back to the beginning."

Pam Carter, festival organizing group chair, was excited to have both Ian and Sylvia Tyson back to perform for the 50th.

"I think it's amazing and it speaks to the longevity of the genre of folk that 50 years later they're at Mariposa again and they're still committed and passionate about Mariposa Folk Festival," she said. "That this calibre of artists would come back to help us celebrate is awesome."

The first festival attracted an audience of 6,000 to 8,000 people, but despite the success Jones-McVeigh never imagined it would grow to an audience of 25,000 50 years later.

"I honestly wasn't too surprised that the first one was a success, but to ask me if I could visualize myself being there 50 years from now with an audience 10 times as big, no I could not have imagined that," she said. "I'm overjoyed and I think it's wonderful."

Jones-McVeigh now lives in Ottawa, but said she attends the festival as often as she can.

"I love the people, I love the music, I love hearing new people and touching base with former performers that have been here for a long time," Jones-McVeigh said.

Mariposa has always had a strong focus on the music. Even the festival's winking sun logo was designed, then later redesigned, by two of Canada's best-known folk icons.

The original design was created by Ian Tyson and featured a sun with rays waving in a clockwise direction.

A 20-year-old Murray McLauchlan's updated logo, named 'Lion Face Sun,' debuted in 1968 when the festival was at the Toronto Islands. When it first appeared, the logo was half of a sun with a face. It had thick rays waving in a counter-clockwise direction.

Two years later the logo was a complete sun blinking its left eye. This logo is still used today.

"It was a variation on the original idea, the sunny face, because, essentially, it would make people feel good," McLauchlan said before participating in a workshop Saturday afternoon.

The singer/songwriter has performed in the festival several times, beginning in the late '60s.

"The people who perform and sing have certainly changed and music evolves, but the idea and the spirit of the event, I think hasn't really fundamentally changed," McLauchlan said.

"I think that's one of the reasons it is successful. People come expecting that."

People who came expecting recognition of the 50th milestone Sunday night were not disappointed.

The festival's 50th birthday was officially recognized on stage Sunday evening between performances by Murray McLauchlan and Sylvia Tyson.

Mariposa Foundation president Chris Lusty carried a huge birthday card on stage signed by performers and many audience members. Local dignitaries were given an opportunity to wish the festival a happy birthday and festival volunteers and foundation members were thanked.

Following that, Ian Tyson took the stage and was later accompanied by his ex wife, Sylvia Tyson in an emotional moment for many.

According to the online Canadian Encyclopedia, Ian and Sylvia Tyson's working and personal lives began to diverge in the 1970s.

They have appeared together just three times since 1975: in 1979, 1982 and in 1986 at a concert, later televised, that received a 1987 Gemini. And Sunday night.

There were some surprise guests as well. Blue Rodeo's Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor took an unexpected turn on stage before Orillia's own Gordon Lightfoot then closed the festival -- a highlight for many local festival goers.

While the ending was magical, the start was not. Thursday night's rain created some unexpected twists. The heavy rainfall dampened the entire park and left muddy puddles along pathways and in some grassy spots.

"We had somebody bringing hay in, we had other people bringing wood chips in to try and cover the wet areas," Carter said. "I think that speaks to community collaboration and partnership.

"Everyone we have reached out to has sprung into action and helped us out with the site situation."

The main stage became a "mud pit" Friday night with dancers jumping and splashing in the mud puddles, but they didn't seem to mind at all, Carter said.

"This is part of the magic of the festival," she said. "People are happy and making the best. They're having a great time."

sross@orilliapacket.com
Old 07-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #33
Jesse Joe

Very good interesting read for sure. This 83-year-old Ruth Jones-McVeigh sounds like a great folk music fan. And of course Orillia's own Gordon Lightfoot closing the festival sounds just right on !

Great article... tks for posting it Charlene.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #34
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
lol
it was FABULOUS!
The man has touched you in a very special way Char ! And he means so much to so many people. Vive la Gordon Lightfoot !!
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #35
fusion

I am glad having read the news. It touches me very deeply.
fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #36
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Wow Char! That sounds like a lot of fun! Wish we had been there with you...

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #37
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
HE DID IT!!!!!!!
He did I'll Tag Along!
first song! walked out on stage all by his lonesome with his geetar and sang it!!

more later.
ok. it is "later" now
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #38
charlene

I'm working on it!
soon..real soon...
Old 07-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #39
Auburn Annie

That's okay, take your time, gotta get your feet back on the ground and the pieces of your exploded brain put back together, lol. Did someone have to remind you to breathe? I'm sure time stopped.

Belated happy birthday, btw.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #40
charlene

oh crap - no one reminded me yet!
lol
Time has stopped for sure....best 55th birthday I ever had!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #41
bjb

If Gordon Lightfoot sang a song specifically to me, I'd be floating for days, if not years!

I had a wonderful time with Melanie, Brian, Char and Lisa at the folk festival this year. Somehow I expected some mediocre performances and a few standouts -- but every single performer I watched was outstanding! I have some interesting new songs to buy.

On the way to the show, we drove past a sign for "River Road", and I was thinking about the old song with the same name. What a surprise when Sylvia sang it that night! She said she knew she'd REALLY made it in the business when Crystal Gayle sang her song on Sesame Street -- I never realized Sylvia wrote it, but I always loved that song!

When Ian started singing Four Strong Winds during his encore, and called "Sylvia, get out here!", I got a huge lump in my throat and the tears wouldn't stop -- it's such a moving song, and took us all right back to those days...

A strange thing happened when I was watching Lightfoot sing the Canadian Railroad Trilogy. Several times it was as if I was seeing him as he looked on the original Lightfoot album cover! It must have been a trick of the lighting, or the way his hair lay or something, but it was truly surreal. I'm so glad I was able to be there.
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #42
charlene

Mariposa – 50th anniversary celebration – Tudhope Park - Orillia, Ontario
http://www.mariposafolk.com and http://www.orilliapacket.com/Article...aspx?e=2664219

Friday July 9, Saturday July 10 and Sunday July 11, 2010

We arrived in Orillia around 11 a.m. on Sunday morning. The weather was perfect – no clouds, slightly humid and no rain in the forecast. The drive up with Brian (he drove), Melanie, Bonnie and Lisa was about 90 minutes and we listened to an old Jim Croce album that had EMR on it as well as J.P.Cormiers’ “The Long River” tribute CD of Lightfoot tunes.

The winding Highway #12 out of Whitby leads right into Orillia and past farmers fields of hay and corn dotted with beautiful old homes and churches, barns and silos. Horses and cows enjoying a beautiful summer day 90 minutes north of Toronto dotted the grassy areas.

Due to heavy rains on Thursday the parking area had been cut in half and was available in town at the arena with shuttle buses bringing people back to the park. We parked about5 minutes up the highway on the side of the road and trekked back to Tudhope Park with our chairs and blanket.

On either side of the highway near the park both Lake Simcoe and Couchiching waters were calm and had boaters out enjoying the weather and kids swimming along the shore.
Tudhope Park was filling fast with folks walking through the vendors area, down the winding paths to the various tents set up under the trees. In front of the main stage thousands of chairs and blankets marked the spots folks had saved while they went off to hear various artists performing on the other stages. Live music was available on all stages all day as it had been on Saturday and on Friday from 4.

Alongside the mainstage was a huge video screen and camera on a huge boom. This would be great for those who really wanted an up close view of the performers.
We set up our spots and started wandering through the park enjoying the respite from the hot sun under the beautiful old trees. We saw Murray McLauchlan with Catherine MacLellan and Little Miss Higgins doing a workshop entitled “The Field Behind the Plow”..Murray told us that every anniversary/birthday etc. he writes a poem or some such thing in a leather bound book for his wife. This year he wrote her a song and he sang it for us. It was absolutely lovely, entitled “Please Don’t Wake Me Up.”

Ian Tyson designed the original Mariposa ‘sun’ logo and several years ago Murray re-designed it to the winking eye on the suns face. I remember seeing Murray at High Park in Toronto back in the early 70’s singing his big hit “Farmer’s Song”, a tribute to the people who put food on our table. He was saving it for the mainstage show later in the evening.
http://www.myspace.com/murraymclauchlan
http://www.catherinemaclellan.com
http://www.littlemisshiggins.com

At another stage we listened to Mike Ford, David Francey and David Gunning at a workshop called “My Folk Heroes.” Both Mike and David Gunning have performed at the Lightfoot Tribute shows at Hugh’s Room in Toronto. I had a chance to talk to Dave Gunning for a while-what a lovely and talented young man.
http://www.mikeford.ca
http://www.davidfrancey.com
http://www.davegunning.com

At another we listened to Tribute show veterans “Madison Violet” – sublime harmonies from these two ladies. http://www.madisonviolet.com

I really enjoyed the Ian Tyson led group that was set in amongst the trees. Suzie Vinnick was sitting in with him. Ian was a totally laid back cowboy with a total style that just said “cool” He had his white cowboy hat on and a pair of shades even though there was no sun coming through the trees and he was sitting on a stage with a canopy. Man it was wonderful to hear him. I’ve wanted to see him for decades! He didn’t do 4 strong Winds tho – saving it for later.. http://www.iantyson.com
http://www.suzievinnick.com

We also enjoyed the so sweet harmonies of Madison Violet – Brenley MacEachern and Lisa MacIsaac who do such a gorgeous version of Poor Little Alison. http://www.madisonviolet.com

Nestled among the trees was a “Guitars on Parade” art installation Many others were installed in the downtown core but I didn’t get out to see them. I do have a souvenir book with great pics of the others so will scan them. Larrivee guitars are Canadian icons – especially the Florentine cutaway and classically inspired body shape of the Larrivee C-10. The guitars were made in this shape. This was a collection of 6 foot tall wooden guitars painted front and back in different themes. There was a stylized Canadian red maple leaf that I loved and of course a Lightfoot one that depicted his SUNDOWN cover on the front and a setting sun on the back of the guitar. I wanted to take it home but it wouldn’t fit in my purse!

In the tent where CD’s, T-shirts etc. were sold there was a sign hanging over some merchandise that said SURPRISE SPECIAL GUESTS – the CD’s and T-Shirts were Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo stuff. So much for the surprise!

Lisa and I ran into Kenyon and his girlfriend and we chatted for a while. Always a treat to see my internet son and the lovely Johanna.

There were some tasty things to eat as well as a beer tent with entertainment. It was a ‘green’ festival so there was a place you could have your water bottles filled for free. They were not selling water in plastic bottles this year. http://www.orilliapacket.com/Article...aspx?e=2665686

Around 3 p.m. or so the sky started looking troublesome. Grey clouds were moving in and circling around the area. It started to rain very lightly. Brian ran back to the car to get the rain slickers while we covered the seats with the blanket and umbrellas. The light rain didn’t last long but at 4:15 it started up again and it really came down hard. It didn’t look like it would be an all night rain but you never know with the way the clouds circle around the and over the two lakes picking up moisture to drop on festival goers!

On the Mainstage the closing concert events were starting at 5:00 and were only delayed about 10 minutes before the Whiteley Brothers came onstage for their set. Man they play the blues with such emotion ! http://www.kenwhiteley.com/index.php?show=31 Ken performed at a Lightfoot tribute show.

It started to rain again but didn’t last too long and Murray McLauchlan was up next. I’ve always been a fan of his and enjoyed his set back in 2007 and remembered back to the early 70’s when I saw him performing in High Park to a crowd on the lawns and in the surrounding trees. The Farmers Song was his big hit at the time – a moving tribute to the farmers who put the food on our tables. It never fails to make you thankful for the farmers of the world.

He sang his song for his wife again, Please Don’t Wake Me Up, On The Boulevard, Sunshine and Shadows, Whispering Rain, No Change In Me, The Child’s Song, Walk Away and for his encore he sang The Farmers Song with thousands of us singing along with him as we did with Whispering Rain. He’s a great storyteller and has a terrific stage presence. http://www.myspace.com/murraymclauchlan I got teary during a few of Murray’s songs remembering back 40 years ago and what those songs meant to me as a kid and how the meaning in them has changed for me over time.

Next on the bill were introductions of many Mariposa staff, founders, volunteers etc.
Sylvia Tyson was on next. It was around 7:10 p.m. and the skies were clear. Sylvia sang some of her tunes, some that I had heard over the years but don’t’ know titles. The one I did know was her hit “You Were On My Mind” which was another singalong for the crowd like it was for River Road.
http://www.quartette.com/sylvia.htm She is also a member of the group Quartette.

The Breakmen were up next – I’ve never heard of them but they had great voices and harmonies. http://www.thebreakmen.com

Ian Tyson – what a voice..so recognizable even with the rough edges it has now. He’s another wonderful storyteller onstage. He said “Sylvia sounds great and I can’t wait to hear the great Gordon Lightfoot” as soon as he stepped up to the mic. He’s a cowboy out in Alberta so many of his songs are about the countryside there and his images are vivid and romantic, telling about the hardships of being a rancher in the Canadian west. I loved his Big Alberta Sky and Ramblers and Mustangs..I think it was titled that anyway. He talked about the weather out west and how winter seems to last until the end of June and then introduced one tune he called his ‘oxymoron song’…Springtime in Alberta..lol. Bonnie knew exactly what he was talking about. I experienced snow out there in late April 2009 and thought it crazy! He sang 8 songs and left the stage but he was back to sing an iconic Canadian song that I love – Four Strong Winds. He strummed a few notes and the crowd went wild making him laugh and say “I think I recognize this tune, did I hear it on American Idol?” And then he brought all of us to our feet as he started his beautiful , sad love song. We all sang along, swaying back and forth and just taking it all in. At the point where Sylvia sang he called her onstage and a huge roar went up as she sang her part and then with Ian. It brought a lot of people to tears. It was beyond touching and memorable..it was truly ‘a moment in time.” I’m tearing up just typing this.
part 2 - next post..
Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #43
charlene

part 2
The Surprise Special Guests were up next – the two frontmen of Blue Rodeo! Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor! http://www.bluerodeo.com They sang a few of their hits and were in fine voice and Jim Cuddy was looking as adorable as ever! The crowd sang along with them to a couple of tunes. If I recall they sang , We Are Lost Together”, “Five Days in May”, Until I Am Myself Again”, “Bad Timing”, “Hasn’t Hit Me Yet” - perhaps a couple of others I can’t recall. When they came back for their encore they joked that they didn’t want to be too long because they were worried that Gordon Lightfoot was backstage waiting to go on and muttering to himself, ”why are they taking so long, get the hook!” lol
They finished at 10:00 and during the next 10 minutes while waiting for Gordon the crowd got a bit restless, clapping and calling out his name. I had my crappy little camera set on video to record some songs and perhaps, just perhaps I’d catch “my” song, “I’ll Tag Along” if Gordon had changed his mind and decided to throw it into the mix. I hoped so! Rick and Terry were the only band members that would be playing onstage but Mike was there backstage to help with tuning.

Rick was onstage plugging in some things but did not have his guitar. Gordon walked out with his guitar and Rick helped him plug in. I knew then he was going to do “I.T.A” ! Terry was nowhere to be seen and Rick left the stage. Gordon was alone onstage and he walked up to the mic after the standing ovation was over and started to sing it! OMIGOODNESS he really decided to fit it in! As the first freaking song of the set on such a memorable night of Mariposa’s 50th anniversary! WOW.

When he played the first couple of notes I gasped and started shaking so hard I could hardly hold the camera. The video is shaky and you can’t really see Gordon on the big screen because the camera isn’t that great but the audio is fine. I held the camera up with one hand and the other one over my mouth as I stood there in complete shock. Perhaps he re-thought his decision to probably not be able to fit it in as he told me when he called me on May 30th --because he knew it was my birthday? I can’t say for sure but I’ll go with that story! Lolol That phone call was so out of left field as it was but then he goes ahead and sings it? Makes perfect sense to me! Nice move Mr. Lightfoot! THANK YOU for making it the best 55th birthday I ever had!

Gordon’s sound was quite low and a lot of people back where we were and behind us were yelling at the sound guy to turn it up. I don’t think he ever did. To make matters worse for those behind us the beer tent behind them had a live band playing and their sound coming at them from behind was drowning out Gordons voice.

Gordon tried to tell a few stories but the yahoos up at the front of the stage were yelling and just being major arses. I think it may have flustered him somewhat. One story he was telling was about how he only got one chance to sing the next song and then found himself flat on his back the next day before he could sing it again there at home. He said ‘it has a prophetic lyric’ in it..and he was going to continue but the noise down below was ridiculous. He stepped away from the mic scratching his head and then sang Couchiching.

The set list was:
1. I’ll Tag Along
2. Don Quixote
3. Clouds Of Loneliness
4. Let It Ride
5. Beautiful
6. Red Velvet (he mentioned to the crowd that this was an Ian Tyson song)
7. The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
8. Christian Island
9. Fine As Fine Can Be
10. Couchiching
11. Restless
12. If You Could Read My Mind
ENCORE
13. Canadian Railroad Trilogy

We gave him another standing ovation with people shouting “More, more, more” but the show was over, it was time to pack up the chairs, blanket, and rain gear and make the 90 minute trip back home.

It certainly was a memorable day full of some treasured tunes performed by just a few of the Canadian icons that make this country proud. My heart soared and my tears fell for many reasons on this glorious Mariposa day in one more “sunshine sketch of a little town” – Orillia –the home town of a legend.

But for just over 4 minutes on the day after my 55th birthday with some good friends and my daughter sharing the day I was well and truly gobsmacked by yet another generous gesture from The Man.

videos - (the picture is lousy..sorry I hope someone else that was there posts some songs too) Close your eyes and listen.lol

- ITA
- Beautiful
- IYCRMM
- Fine As Fine Can Be
- DQ - partial
Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #44
charlene

Here's the Lightfoot guitar that was in the art installation:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13631.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	3509   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13637.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	465.5 KB
ID:	3510   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13659.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	3511  
Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #45
charlene

Default Re: 50th anniversary of Mariposa report is now done!

photos at FLIKR (not taken by me)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_hayes/4787916077
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #46
formerlylavender

I just watched ITA...wow! That was so sweet of Gord to play it at all, but first song? He's the best. Thanks for posting the review and the videos.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #47
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

My dear Ma'am Moderator
Firstly belated birthday wishes and I am so pleased that your day obviously lived up to your wild and wildest expectations
Secondly and apropos our earlier contretemps I must say that I sincerely appreciate and understand what your intentions were when you shared your 'stuff' about Mariposa. As usual you managed to make us feel that we had been there with you or at least behind your camera's lens in your moment of triumph even if the shaky video of ITA was atrocious!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #48
charlene

it really was atrocious wasn't it..thankfully the shaky hands didn't affect the sound!
lol
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #49
Auburn Annie

Char, I swear I could hear you hyperventilating while he sang, lol. SO happy for you!
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #50
charlene

yep - that was me...adds a special something to the tune dontcha think?
lolol