banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #26
Kerstin

Default Re: Barry Harvey

This is such shocking news! It still seems so unreal, like there must be some mistake... My heartfelt condolences go out to Barry Harvey's family and friends, everyone at EMP and Gordon and the orchestra.
Kerstin
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #27
joveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I never encountered Mr. Harvey, but have only seen kind mention of him during my time here on corfid.

same here... RIP
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #28
Gitchigumee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I never encountered Mr. Harvey, but have only seen kind mention of him during my time here on corfid. I plead ignorance, but perhaps someone could give an idea of his responsibilities in the Lightfoot enterprise.
He was the "behind the scenes, make sure everything goes smoothly, and make sure everyone else is taken care of" person. I am sure Gordon and the guys are brokenhearted.

I only met him once, but I will never forget. When he heard me talking to Gord about the fact that I had visited Orillia last summer, it caught Barry's ear and he told me that he, too, was from Orillia, and we shared a few words about how beautiful the city is, the lake, the parks, and the area in general. He struck me as a very "home town boy." I am sure he touched many lives in Orillia.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #29
talbot10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenney View Post
It is with great sadness that I learned this morning of the death of Barry Harvey. He died unexpectedly yesterday. I believe he was Gordon's manager for approx. 20 years. My condolences go out to his family, EMP, Gordon and the band.
Jenney
Terribly sad news today about Barry. I will keep him and his family and friends in my prayers. I only met him a few times briefly, mostly just to thank him for letting me backstage. He was always a gentleman.
Bill
Old 12-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #30
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

What a bummer ! Heartfelt condolences to everyone. A tragic loss to our extended 'family' of which he was a great big part. He is in a better place, which is good for him, but very, very hard on those left behind. His family, friends and all of us mourning here are in my prayers. What can one say at a time like this ?

Peace be with you Barry. You are missed and won't be forgotten.

B
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #31
Bill

If it is not to presumptuous, could the website have a tribute area for him to help educate everyone to his bio, his huge contribution as a manager and human, and maybe some shared pics?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #32
charlene

Barry Harvey - centre-
from CHUM radio's 50th anniv.party at Toronto city hall in june 2007..
making sure everything is A-OK for The Man..
and July 2005 at Mariposa/Orillia-
walking The Man to his parking spot..
and Pennsylvania 2002 - with some of his admirers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightfoot-CHUM-Toronto-small5-26-07 001.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gord in car 1.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	614   Click image for larger version

Name:	778004276103_0_BG.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	615  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #33
jj

so much life ahead, yet what a life full of experiences he must have had... deflating news

char, that 3rd photo of you, bru, susan, (looks like) nanci and he must be such a treasure

recently I came across quite a closeup of his large smile alongside a fan, but cannot find url

although so sudden, one can only hope he was in the warm company of loved ones when he passed on...shall be thinking of Barry, family, friends come Sunday, even moreso than now

memories of the post-concert social following the Hamilton comeback concert are real gems right now - Barry's vitality was contagious, he appeared so happy for Gordon that night

thanks for sharing, char...when i read word from wayne earlier i didn't quite believe it til i came here and read jenney's post....my condolences, gals, i realize you and other longtime fans interacted often over the years - jimmy
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:32 AM   #34
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Street Rose View Post
To sum it up very quickly, He was the glue. I will write in a few days about the wonderful person Barry Harvey was for the 30 years of our friendship.

DSR
that would be wonderful, dsr... I'd savour shared anecdotes even moreso than a full bio or more pics

one that ressonates at the front of my mind right now is when I asked at one point if he managed any other folk or roots type artists...

there was an awkward silence then he looked at me like i was insane and replied, something like, "manage FOLK? ...hey, this Gord gig just sort of landed on me from his sis... I'M into heavy ROCK!!"

that really busted my gut and for a good few seconds I'm sure all my remaining teeth were showing

again, sorry for your loss ...bring it all on if and when you feel like it
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:03 AM   #35
charlene

from the Toronto Star:

HARVEY, Barry

HARVEY, Barry William Suddenly in Pickering on Tuesday, December 4, 2007, Barry, loving husband of Petra and loving father and best friend of Sarah and Ryan. Brother of Anne, and Jim and Debbie. Predeceased by his parents William and Margaret Harvey. Friends may call at the PINE HILLS VISITATION, CHAPEL & RECEPTION CENTRE, 625 Birchmount Rd. (at St. Clair Ave. East, 416-267-8229) on Friday, December 7 from 7-9 p.m. and Saturday from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. A service to commemorate Barry's life will be held in the chapel on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. with a reception to follow at Pine Hills.

a guest book is at:
http://www.torontostarclassifieds.co...&isBrowse=true
Old 12-06-2007, 04:30 AM   #36
charlene

Another mid-morning sleepless night;
jj- I too laffed when Barry told me of his love for ROCK - hard rock music when I spoke with him about being so lucky to hear Lightfoot music in so many places and so often over the years!
Yes that night in Hamilton was so special and he (and the band) all seemed so proud of Gord and happy to be back performing.
He had to be tough at times and he always tried (and succeeded) to do the best for Gord, the band and ultimately the fans.

I think I'll always laff when I remember how he was at Mariposa this year during that terrible rain and lightning..how he kept coming up the side stairs to stage level, watching Gord, running his hands thru his hair, coming back up with a guitar case and standing there, it seemed he was willing Gord to leave, to get the hell out of there..He'd leave and be gone for a few minutes and then he'd be right there again and even from the distance away that I was it seemed he was being so protective of Gord and the others. He had his shoulders hunched and he'd turn and look up at the lightning and head backstage again when it was clear that no one was going anywhere.. yet he kept trying..

I'll also remember his and Anne's bafflement (much like mine) regarding the phone call that Gord was going to make to me...we all had a chuckle about it but were still baffled..

It will be a very different concert when next I attend one...that familiar fellow rushing around doing a hundred things, talking to a hundred people before and after the show and from what I always saw with the fans and expereinced myself, he was always polite and a gentleman. Sometimes hard to get a smile from but he was doing a monumental job with a myriad of unknown surprises on a constant basis..he was always scanning around watching it all, assessing the comings and goings of everyone and making sure that the fans experienced the finest show he could give us via the music and talents of the band and Gord when they set foot on the stage.

In the last few years I had said thank you to him in person and I'd sent cards to both him and Anne at the office to express my thanks for their diligence, talents and hard work. I hope he knew that we all understand and gave thanks for all he did to bring us Gordon Lightfoot onstage and in recordings and other appearances for us for so many years.
His loss is huge to the EMP family but immeasurable to his family.
My thoughts are with them at this terribly sad time.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #37
Gord H

This is a shock to say the least!! There is not much more I can add that hasn't already been said except for the fact I remember when I met him for the first time and he asked me what my name was and I told him it was Gord, he just laughed his head off and said " that's an easy name to remember!!"

My condolences to his family and Gord Lighfoot his band and the office staff at EMP
Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #38
Borderstone

I only met the man once. Barry was the gentleman outside the concert in January who controlled the meet and greet. He was the one who helped me choose the two LP's Gord autographed,Early Lightfoot & Sit Down Young Stranger... and was the very one who snapped the picture of Gordon and I together.

So,for helping me out and for helping Gordon all these years,I thank him. I know he shall rest in peace. My heart goes out to his family and all who were close to him. I know Gordon is surely taking this hard. Keep all of these folks in your prayers everyone.

Last edited by Borderstone; 12-06-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #39
Gitchigumee

Oh my gosh, reading Borderstone's post, I just realized, BARRY was the one who took the photo of me and Gord which I have framed and which is sitting on my desk amongst my family photos and which I am looking at RIGHT THIS MOMENT as I sit at my desk typing this message. Oh my gosh. I know I told you so that night, Barry, but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! You cannot imagine how precious that photo is to me...and how that one tiny moment in your life--of patience, diligence (the flash wasn't working) and kindness--means to me. And now you're gone...
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."

Last edited by Gitchigumee; 12-07-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #40
catrinka

I would like to extend my condolences to Barry's family, friends, band members, business associates and the people on this forum who have known him. It is obvious that he will be remembered with fondness by all.

While I do not recollect meeting Barry, I'm sure he was present during the times I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to meet Gordon Lightfoot backstage. When I first encountered his name, it was shortly after the original(?) LightHead group was formed. I thought, "Who's this guy? He seems to be overly protective of Gord! Doesn't he understand how much Gord means to all his fans?" Well, I soon realized that his role in Gord's life was more than just as a manager...that he was also a close friend and had the difficult role of balancing accessibility with privacy.

As I sit here contemplating how Barry touched my life, it strikes me that he was pretty much responsible for allowing Yuri and me to meet so many wonderful people who share our love of Gordon's music. By granting us the opportunity to gather with other LightHeads, we have been given the gift of friends and (long lost) family, shared our troubles with people who care and celebrated the success of others. What better legacy can there be than to have had so much affect upon so many people?

There are some in this forum who have known Barry for a long time. My heart goes out to you in this time of loss. Please continue to share your memories and photos of him with those of us who did not know him so well! It is in the recollection that he will continue to be amongst us.

catrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #41
RM

Both Yuri and jj mentioned the fact fact that Mr. Harvey took over the managerial duties from Lightfoot's sister. Does anyone have any insight into GL's relationship with him before he took on those duties ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #42
Kelly Davis

I filled out Christmas cards on the morning of Tuesday Dec. 4th for Barry, Gord and the whole band. As we all know, the day Barry passed on.

They had not been sealed yet. I had written a small note and sentiment to Barry. I will keep the card in my concert scrapbook - never to be mailed.

When I read the news yesterday I got a numb feeling all through my body for a few seconds. I just still can't believe it. Barry was always a gentleman to my family and I after concerts.

When we had already gotten pictures with Gord and all the band, we would ask Barry H. for a picture and he would say " no, someone may be looking for me!" However, when we saw Gord
in Indy this fall, he actually let us take a shot with him and myself.

God's gain , our loss. Peace be with you, Barry!
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #43
Yuri

Ron,
From Maynard Collin’s biography entitled ‘Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read His Mind’, Deneau Publishers, 760 Bathurst Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2R6 (1988) ISBN 0-88879-139-9
Excerpt from page 217
At the end of 1983, Bev left Early Morning Productions. She (Bev Lightfoot) was worn out. She was replaced by Barry Harvey, also from Orillia, but thirteen years Lightfoot’s Junior.
Barry had been working for EMP as a tour organizer since 1981. He had previously worked for Solid Gold Records, then the largest record company in Canada. Bev had called to ask for suggestions for a tour manager she needed. “Having faith in the ultimate demise” of the company he was working for, he suggested himself. Bev accepted and he came to EMP. Within a couple of years he found himself as Lightfoot’s business manager.
Unfortunately the book was published only a few years after Barry took over the reigns so it mentions Barry only twice in addition to one small B&W photo where he appears as one in a group. No mention is made of any relationship between Gord and Barry before this time. Perhaps some of our other knowledgeable Corfidians know if the two knew each other from early days in Orillia.

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #44
Melissa

My thoughts and prayers are with all those closest to Barry - his family, friends, the entire EMP team, Gord, Rick, Terry, Barry H. and Michael. We have all lost a friend, the man who was always gracious to us. Even when he was completely spent from a long day of making everything work just right for Gord and the guys, he still smiled and made time for our backstage requests, answered our questions, made small talk and "brought us Gord." I am so glad I had the opportunity to thank him several times for all he did for us. It was more than just a job to him. Even with all the stress and hard work, he believed in what he did and always tried to do his very best. I know Gord counted on him for so much. The team will press on, as they always do, but there will be one less shoulder to carry the weight, one less star in the EMP sky.

Rest in peace, Harv. Our friend. Save us a place up there.....and a backstage pass.

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #45
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
The team will press on, as they always do, but there will be one less shoulder to carry the weight, one less star in the EMP sky.
Eloquently expressed.

"Ever Onward"
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #46
Peter Bro10

very sad and shocking... I have been, as many others are, at a loss for words. Until now of course. (please pardon the mild pun.)

I had occasion to talk with Barry once on the phone to request autographs. All I can say is that Barry was as polite and courteous as everyone else has stated here. I was impressed by that. It is what comes to mind when I think of him. Simple politeness and courtesy.

At times like this my thoughts range from scriptures to lyrics... Ultimately, my prayers are for Barry and those who grieve his passing.

May our friend rest in peace!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #47
charlene

[QUOTE=Melissa;132010] I am so glad I had the opportunity to thank him several times for all he did for us.

I am also glad I always said "thanks Barry" and gave him a hug...
I hope he knew how appreciative we all were for his dedication.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #48
Melody

Dear Char and Fans,
I'm sure that Dad appreciates your kind words, as does Barry's family. Thank you all.
I spoke to Dad the other night and he is doing OK, just so all of you know.
Barry will be dearly missed by his family, Dad and the band of course....
Take Care All,
Ingrid
Old 12-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #49
SilverHeels

Thanks, Ingrid, for taking the time to check in. I'm sure we all appreciate it and I, for one, am glad to hear news of your Dad. If we are all taking the shock news so badly, I can only imagine how it must be for him and the band.
Bru
Old 12-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #50
Rainbow Trout

Thank you for letting us know your Dad and the Band are doing ok. I know we all are concerned about them during this time. Deepest sympathy to all families involved.
Rainbow Trout is offline   Reply With Quote