banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
charlene

Default ATLANTA concert

new joke - "My New Year's resolution was to stop drinking and that he now drank nothing stronger than pop. “However Pop was quite a drinker.”
He also said he had stopped smoking...
also mentioned his hearing:
after singing Don Quixote he mentioned how hard it was to reach the high notes and even more so since he's stopped smoking- but the Dr. told him to. He also said something about the hearing problem he's had for 2 years now. He covered up one ear then the other and said, “Yeah, it still sounds good.”

SET LIST
Did She Mention My Name
Carefree Highway
Sea of Tranquility
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
A Painter Passing Through
Let It Ride
Spanish Moss
Beautiful
The Watchman's Gone
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

INTERMISSION

Sweet Guinevere
Cotton Jenny
Restless
Home From the Forest
Make Way for the Lady
Waiting for You
Fine As Fine Can Be
If You Could Read My Mind
Don Quixote
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain
Blackberry Wine

Encore #1 In My Fashion

Encore #2 Rainy Day People
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
txdaiseyblue

Send a message via MSN to txdaiseyblue
Default Re: ATLANTA concert

WOW he sang my favorite song!! "Spanish Moss" I'm going to be at the January 28th Concert here in TX...is there any way I can Pre-request a song? I've sold a lot of my jewelry I make, even had a garage sale to get the money for this concert. I am on widows and disability benefits and have been going without extras and I'm going to be driving over 300 miles just to finally get to see him in concert..after liking him for 40 years!! Also does he ever sign autographs and let you get a picture..with him? I sure hope so???
txdaiseyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Rob1956

It always makes me wonder why such intelligent people such as Gord can't see what smoking does to you until late in life. Quitting now does nothing. The die is cast. His ability to clot and heal was compromised buy somoking during his illness in 2002. At 73, if one day he gets a chest xray and there's a spot on his lung..well, it's too late. The English, Canadians, and Australians are way behind the US in people quitting smoking and one wonders why that is. I hope and pray that Gord can abstain from smoking for the rest of his life, but it sounds like he quit cold turkey, the hardest way to do so. But I wish him well. Too bad it wasn't 30 years ago.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Plunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1956 View Post
At 73, if one day he gets a chest xray and there's a spot on his lung..well, it's too late.
73 is too late for a lot of things.
Plunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
txdaiseyblue

I don't know about that(US being way ahead)..I moved here from AZ and it seems EVERYONE in TX smokes...I have never smoked and am glad. I am happy that Gord has quit..maybe we'll be able to keep him around a lot longer..I know because I hope to get to see him again and I don't care how old he gets..he always has been and always will be my very favorite singer/songwriter.I was 17/18 when I first heard him sing Beautiful on the radio...I bought the 45 and wore it out! Now I have all his albums and have them on my computer..I play them everyday..never get tired of hearing him. I am so looking forward to his concert in less than 2 weeks! So yes I am glad he quit!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
bjm7777

Well, it is never too late to stop smoking - and I applaud that. I can't help but think about all the publicity photos (and candid ones) where there was a freshly lit cigarette hanging from his lips - part of the persona, perhaps...
Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Here's part of an Australian Bureau of Statistics report on smoking rates in Australia, the US, Canada and other countries.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@....ures60Dec+2009

In 2007, Australia had one of the lowest smoking rates in the OECD, with around 17% of people aged 15 years and over smoking every day. Around the same period, Sweden had the lowest smoking rate in the OECD (15%), closely followed by the United States (15%). New Zealand, Canada, the United Kingdom and Italy all had rates below the OECD average of 24%, while Greece had the highest rate (40%).

There has been a marked fall in smoking rates across OECD countries in recent years. The decline in smoking rates in Australia (a fall of 40% for men and 44% for women between 1989 and 2007) was among the biggest in the OECD, along with Sweden where smoking rates fell by 52% for men and 36% for women. Other countries with large falls included the US, Canada, New Zealand and the UK.

Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdaiseyblue View Post
I don't care how old he gets..he always has been and always will be my very favorite singer/songwriter.I was 17/18 when I first heard him sing Beautiful on the radio...I bought the 45 and wore it out! Now I have all his albums and have them on my computer..I play them everyday..never get tired of hearing him. I am so looking forward to his concert in less than 2 weeks! So yes I am glad he quit!
Beautiful is the best song ever, at least in my world! I also play his songs every day. There is no getting tired of Gordon Lightfoot. Just today I nearly pushed a man in a swimming pool for saying he only sang elevator music! As for getting a picture with him, sometimes he will stop outside after concerts and greet fans who are waiting. I have a couple if pictures. He has always been more than kind .
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdaiseyblue View Post
WOW he sang my favorite song!! "Spanish Moss" I'm going to be at the January 28th Concert here in TX...is there any way I can Pre-request a song? I've sold a lot of my jewelry I make, even had a garage sale to get the money for this concert. I am on widows and disability benefits and have been going without extras and I'm going to be driving over 300 miles just to finally get to see him in concert..after liking him for 40 years!! Also does he ever sign autographs and let you get a picture..with him? I sure hope so???
Go early and see if you can find the STAGE DOOR area or the tour bus or tour manager to find out where he will come out after the show..Usually about 70-90 minutes after the show.
He should be able to sign something and have a quick pic taken...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
txdaiseyblue

ok thank you for all those tips..I will do just that..I'm 57 and have never been a groupy to anyone or for anything...but for Gordy I will..this may be my one and only chance to finally meet him....with my disability it just may be MY last chance!!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
jj

Thanks i like the new joke (but it's not hard to top his existing catalogue!)

a doc shook his hand and told him to quit drinking back in 82...maybe he should have shook the other hand and talked about smoking

as they say: quitting is actually pretty easy...i do it several times a year...

no new setlist material, eh - well, if it aint broke....
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
redhead

I heard a variation on this joke from GL years ago (during the 1980's) when he first stopped drinking. He emerged newly slim to the surprise of a large chunk of the audience, and commented that he had quit drinking. He said he didn't drink anything stronger than pop....and Pop will drink anything!

(and yet I can't remember what I did last week, lol!)

Excellent news about the smoking. Thanks for the review.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

About 14 years ago we were sitting around a lobby talking, and I mentioned to Gordon that I was surprised he smoked, his reply was "I gave up drinking so I have to have at least one vice". Two years after the stomach problem we were talking and he lit up a cigarette, and I said I was surprised he was smoking after the health problem, he didn't really have any reply that time, he just nodded. Well if he finally quit, I am glad for him, I don't care how late it is. I have seen too many people die due to the effects of smoking. Talked with Rick recently, and he is doing good on his health, and his ankle is healing nicely, just his legs need some workout due to keeping off the broken ankle, he should be 100% fine by summer.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
txdaiseyblue

I agree with you it is never too late to quit...he will probably feel better in the long run. What happened to his ankle? I'm just glad I have a chance to see him and I appreciate his dedication to his fans!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
charlene

Rick broke his ankle in late spring/early summer if I remember correctly..was in a cast for 6 or 7 weeks. He was fine in September when I saw him in Salamanca. At that time he said he didn't need any physio..
Old 01-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
charlene

pic from Jerre H. He says Gord is still smoking..
He can fill in his report of the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6102_2small.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	4782  
Old 01-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
txdaiseyblue

wow thank you for sharing that picture...he may be 73 yrs old but he still looks great! they say..some people get better with age..he certainly has! 10 more days before I leave to go see him for the 1st time..I so want to have a picture taken with him..to prove I finally did it..my life's dream to see him in concert...40 yrs in the making. My late husband will be smiling down on me. He knew how much I loved his music. Anytime one of his songs came on the radio or he'd put one of the albums on the record player, he'd turn the volume way up and wink at me.
Thanks...everyone!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
redhead

Quote:
quitting is actually pretty easy...i do it several times a year...
Quote:
Jerre H. He says Gord is still smoking..

Sounds Like G.L. uses the same smoking cessation method as JJ!
(lol)

“red”
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Sounds Like G.L. uses the same smoking cessation method as JJ!
(lol)
lol ... yeah, it's the One-A-Day patch (which is one-a-day too many)

Jerre looks trim & cool w/o the specs...nice to see the men sporting their leather
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #20
charlene

jerre and gord in their matching jackets and trousers made me laff..too cute..
Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #21
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Rick broke his ankle in late spring/early summer if I remember correctly..was in a cast for 6 or 7 weeks. He was fine in September when I saw him in Salamanca. At that time he said he didn't need any physio..

He mentioned last week "that when he started riding his bicycle, he noticed how stiff and flabby his legs were due to fracture, and figured it would be summer before they got back to 100%". Yes, his ankle has healed fine after breaking it from tripping on some 2x4s.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #22
charlene

I remember asking him if his leg was weak but he seemed to be ok with it...but that was before he thought about getting on his bike..lol
He said he had been up and on his foot the whole time so maybe the muscle loss wasn't too bad. I know when I broke my ankle it was a year before it felt 'right' and lord knows I wasn't planning on riding any bikes!
lol
Yeah - 2x4's can be a hazard in a myriad of ways. lol
note to self - avoid 2x4's and bikes..
Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #23
TennTroubadour

Send a message via AIM to TennTroubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
pic from Jerre H. He says Gord is still smoking..
He can fill in his report of the show.
Char, Jerre Haskew here. Gord put on a great 28 song show for a sold out raucous and appreciative crowd at beautiful Symphony Hall in Atlanta. Voice seems better than last time I saw him a couple of years ago. Had a great visit with Gordy backstage (thanks Char & Anne) and we relived some of our mutual folk era of the '60's memories. I first met Gordy at the Riverboat in Toronto in 1966 and was totally blown away. First song was Rosanna- will never forget that night- maybe 10 people there but he did two full sets. The best singer/ songwriter/ performer combo of the past 50 years bar none!! Keep going, Gordy!!

Jerre

Jerre Haskew
The Cumberland Trio
www.cumberlandtrio.com
www.youtube.com/hitman9900 (37 live concert videos of The Cumberland Trio)
TennTroubadour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
charlene

Hey Jerre - glad you got some time with him! thanks for saying HI for me and getting the nice response from him! ..lolol
He's lucky he's in Florida now-TO is COLD and we finally got a few inches of snow. Winter was late this year!
I'm off to the Hugh's Room Lightfoot tribute shows tomorrow and Sunday...too bad the man himself can't make it this year. Always an unbelievable time when he shows up. Should be terrific - Last night was night one of 4...all 4 are SRO only.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #25
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
...nice to see the men sporting their leather
Would ye mind elaborating on that comment laddie, just so's I can rest a wee bit easier while I'm watching "American Football" today?

Just kidding jj but my reptile brain said WTF is he thinking?

Peace,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote