banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Borderstone

Now that summer is basically upon us,looking back,what was the best summer or summers in your lifetime?

I've had about 35 years of relevant summers (age 4 to now) and these are the stand outs.

Obvious ones:All childhood summers,playing with friends,swimming,family trips etc.
In 1980 though I was no happy camper when we left San Diego for Phoenix on of all days June 30th! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Late summer in Sept. 1978 especially,once again,that first time in L-o-v-e.
I'll include the summer of 1981 because that was my last big,fun kid party upon turning 13.

Best summer of the teen years,'82 '84 & '85 were pretty good but I'd have to give it overall to 1987,school was over and I turned 19.

Summer after that was just another summer,but I will say 1990 was good,took a Greyhound trip to Cali. and definetly the summer of 1996 was spectacular! Madly in love,good job & girlfriend.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

Borderstone,
Oh, sigh!!!! One of those summers had to go way back to 1956. My sister and I discovered a waterfall by my grandma's house (where we would stay for a month in the summer). We used to go there to write poetry and music. We had never heard of Gord yet, as he was just a kid, too.:}
Wow! That is dating oneself!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

Oh!!! And P.S.to the above post, there was the summer of 1965, when my husband and I were married. (How could I leave that out???)
Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
RM

Factoring in the lasting influence and memories, my vote would also go to 1965. Summers came early in Yuma, Arizona, and it was in that period I first heard the name Gordon Lightfoot. A DJ on a local radio station played Marty Robbins' cover of 'Ribbon of Darkness', and mentioned it was written by Gordon Lightfoot. I thought "Dang ! that Indian really wrote a good song".
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
ELizabeth

I recall my favorite summer. 1957! I fell in love for the first time. What a wonderful memory that is for me.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Summer Of Love - 1967, I was 14 and I think most people who lived through that one knew something was happening that might be fun.

1969 - Woodstock Music & Art Fair, I was 16 and somehow we made it up & back alive, whoa !

1974 - My Summer at Parris Island, no words can describe that one, LOL.

All the others had at least something nice.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Borderstone

I'm envious of you Bill! Despite what I've seen in the Woodstock movie of the mud & rain and the crowds (and the mess they had to clean up) I'd still have loved to have been there!

My family was in Penn. and had my parents been a little younger,they might have wanted to see it too. They were already in their early 30s though.

Of course,I was just 1 year and 2 months old. My (middle) brother was 2 and Jim the oldest,about to turn 5,I know he'd have loved it!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #8
mnmouse

The summer of my 16th year...beautiful, never-to-be-repeated experiences that will always be a part of me. Still young enough to live and love and laugh without reservation; old enough to know that it would never come again. I savored every moment of every day, filled each one with treasured times and special people, and made memories to cherish for a lifetime.
mnmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
Germany76

One of my most beautiful summers was 1980, when my husband and I spent 6 weeks in Canada,visiting family and touring Ontario. The best thing was a 10days canoe trip in Algonquin Provincial Park. We were a party of twelve people from Canada, The U.S.,Ireland and Australia plus the canoe tripper. It was such an extraordinary experience, and we often talk about it. We are still writing/e-mailing to one of the people we met there, actually a Torontian. (Hi, John). We wanted to go on another lenghty trip in 1982, but 5 hours before leaving for Amsterdam, I was admitted to hospital and was diagosed with an illness which is still a problem, especially during the spring and summer months. So that was it. We never managed to make that trip.So, if the Corfid Express will ever set off, I swear to you all IŽll be on board, come rain or shine. Vera
Germany76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
B45-12

My two favorite summers . . . . .?

Summer Side of Life
Summertime Dream

OKAY - FOR REAL? Not a big summer person. Never was. Even surfing the California Coastline back in the 60's was better in fall. Maybe it's the Swede lineage - but I never want the day to exceed 75 degrees F. That said - the past few days have already reached 105 here in Brentwood and today is more of the same. Just waiting for our hot months to come and GO. That would be August and September. Long ago a good Beach Boys record on the radio could make summer "appear" to be more fun. Sorry sun worshipers...just a few random thoughts.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
I'm envious of you Bill! Despite what I've seen in the Woodstock movie of the mud & rain and the crowds (and the mess they had to clean up) I'd still have loved to have been there!
Well B I only mentioned it in the context of fun summers that we've had. The only reason I got to go was because of the name "Woodstock Music & Art Fair". My parents figured that there'd be old ladies selling afghans and artists and such.

I've told the "clean" version of the trip so many times I almost believe it. I've been in the newspaper twice, for the 20th and 25th anniversary articles. But it's getting so long ago people are losing interest. Hope someone wants an interview for the 40th in 2009. Remind me to email you the story sometime. It was fun for a 16 year old, from the moments I can clearly recall, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #12
Borderstone

Y'know Bill,that "clean version" reminds me of how my older brother and I talked our mom into taking us to see the movie "Used Cars" with Kurt Russell in summer of 1980.(Rated R!) :D LOL

He was 13 and I was just past 12!
We basically told our mom we wanted to see this really funny new movie starring Kurt. What she didn't know (and that we left out),was that in the TV ad,it made it somewhat clear that...ahem..."women would be shown".

Amazingly,when those scenes came on,my mother didn;t drag us out of the theatre. When we got home,judging by the look on her face,i thought for sure we were busted!

..but all she said was,"If I had known that kind of thing was in that movie,I'd never have taken you!" Naturally,we played innocent. :D