banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

View Poll Results: Choose the response that best suits the Subject line
Another in a long list of pointless, over-hyped films 0 0%
Might be worth checking out as a home video rental 2 33.33%
Must experience this in a theatre while the chance exists 4 66.67%
Would rather put my entertainment dollar toward PinkPanther2 0 0%
Voters: 6. This poll is closed

Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
jj

Default $lumdog millionaire

http://www.tribute.ca/interviews/Dan...director/17727

"C ...yes, that's my final answer, Regis"

Last edited by jj; 03-03-2009 at 04:15 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
teherie

Default Re: $lumdog millionaire

John Stewart described Slumdog Millionaire as the most depressing feel good movie you will ever see.

P.S. I just watched the director's cut of "To Kill a Mockingbird" again and it is both the best book and best movie I have ever seen. Anyone who doesn't know or has forgotten what the definition of tolerance is needs to watch this film.
teherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by teherie View Post
John Stewart described Slumdog Millionaire as the most depressing feel good movie you will ever see.

P.S. I just watched the director's cut of "To Kill a Mockingbird" again and it is both the best book and best movie I have ever seen. Anyone who doesn't know or has forgotten what the definition of tolerance is needs to watch this film.

Book and movie are always in my top 5 faves of all time..
astounding story and movie.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
culverd

It is worth the $10 to see it, i also have seen The Reader and Milk and would recommend both. I actually thought there has been some good movies the last few months
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
jj

thx, those sound like good films, obviously taking on issues

i recommend the Visitor, which would be fne on home video

i haven't watched TKAM in some while...quite a dialogue and would be fine to see on a home TV screen also, imo

i recommend a movie such as Slumdog for theatre viewing/listening for those who appreciate captivating cinematography (in this case, 3/4 shot on digital tape, no computer generated images or goofy special effects), wonderful post production and perfectly paced non-linear storytelling...and in this day of home entertainment, it's sometimes worthwhile to get out and escape, and this experience certainly allows for that...ie. transported to another world

i hope to see it in theatre but the clock is ticking and things aren't falling into place...i did see, alone, in a hotel room on a hi definition 40" tv and was quite captivated within the first hour and felt like stopping the show and going to the theatre....the next eve i actually did go to an AMC 24 ...but Slumdog had started aleady and wasn't playing again til after midnight....couldnt' believe it was only playing on 1 of the 24 screens...but i did notice Paul, that Mall Cop was playing in 6 theatres, lol...gotta satisfy the masses out there

anyhow, the last film that visually grabbed me was No Country for Old Men although the pace staggered, imo...seeing the wee Indian kids in Slumdog and this gal's fresh face on big screen is reason enough to get out $12

http://www.tribute.ca/interviews/Slu...ire/star/32595

btw, i don't recommend watching film trailers (including the one for this film)...imagine if before getting to hear a new Gord tune for the first time, we were given a condensed, merged audio clip containing 5 seconds each of verse, then chorus then bridge and/or instrumental....it's just not right

if any have any indy film scoops, would appreciate the tip off

Last edited by jj; 03-04-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by teherie View Post

i think that one's still part of the school curriculum...in elementary school, the first book report i did was on a book about the Underground Railroad...can't remember the name but it had Harriet Tubman's name in the subtitle...quite an eye opener for a young jj

Last edited by jj; 03-04-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
jj

ok, putting this over-promoting thread to bed...but did manage to see the film in the theatre last eve with no regrets...it was a treat see the lovely camera angles, strategic edits, video treatments and raw images flawlessly blended with the riveting audio tracks

footnote: on the way home, I pulled over and ran thru a hard rain for a coffee to go...as i hopped back in the car i looked up at the Ottawa St. sign and suddenly realized i had just been in the very first Tim Hortons (no apostrophe) store from the mid-60's...a classic

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3D21%26um%3D1

Last edited by jj; 03-08-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
charlene

I've been to that one too! - never knew it was the first location tho..
Don't agree with the "NO Apostrophe" french language kerfuffle.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote