banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
jj

Default good-bye AJ!

the Yankees are helping with the global economy bail out plan, lol

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/553311

he will have a hangnail or tennis elbow for the first 4 years then probably win 30 games and strike out 400 batters in the 5th and final contract year
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: good-bye AJ!

good bye..
it's shameful that boys who play games for part of a year make that sort of money..
even if I do loves the baseball..
AJ caused me enuf grey hair the past 3 years..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
the Yankees are helping with the global economy bail out plan, lol

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/553311

he will have a hangnail or tennis elbow for the first 4 years then probably win 30 games and strike out 400 batters in the 5th and final contract year
Can you opt out of the AL East ? I see light ahead but I'm fairly sure it's a train !

Bill

But I do like the O's new road uniforms, coming to your town soon !
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
charlene

geeze and a week ago the owner of the Jays and The Dome (Rogers Centre), Ted Rogers died..TV/radio/internet/phone/magazines/realestate/Jays/Dome..

Perhaps someone who is a baseball fan in the company will invest heavily in some top rate performers. Ted was a businessman..not a ball fan..

The Toronto based billionaire turned a small radio station into an huge communications empire worth billions, he also ranked as the second richest man (individual..not family)with an estimated net worth of C$7.6 billion ($6.1 billion) in “Rich 100” the Canadian Business Magazine.

Rogers was a man who took huge risks, some he won and some he lost but according to CEO of Jim Pattison Group, Ted Rogers Jr was the number one entrepreneur in Canada.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/429412

The Yankees also gave C.C. Sabathia $161-million to throw a ball. That's a quarter of a billion dollars in salaries for two players in a time of economic crisis. The mind boggles.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
Can you opt out of the AL East ? I see light ahead but I'm fairly sure it's a train !

Bill
keep positive, Bill...it could be Tinkerbell

hey char, Leafs are on a tighter budget than the Yanks (when is a salary cap going to kick in?) but we could now get Steve Avery for a bag of hockey pucks, lol...but who really wants another team's seconds

Last edited by jj; 12-14-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Don Quixote

As a south-of-the-border longtime Yankees fan, I cringe at this acquisition. It looks like another in the almost 30-year-long line of Luis Tiant, Andy Messersmith, Jared Wright, Steve Avery, Carl Pavano, Andy Hawkins, etc., pitchers who have a good year in their walk year, sign for a contract that approaches the GDP of a small country, then have nothing left in the tank. AJ's a good pitcher except when he's hurt, which is a bit like saying that Oprah's slender except for the times when she's over 200.
When this contract is over with, you Blue Jay fans will be laughing at the Yanks and sighing with relief that you didn't overbid for this guy.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
keep positive, Bill...it could be Tinkerbell

hey char, Leafs are on a tighter budget than the Yanks (when is a salary cap going to kick in?) but we could now get Steve Avery for a bag of hockey pucks, lol...but who really wants another team's seconds
LOL - salary caP/ I'll tell ya 'bout a stinkin' salary cap!
Imagine it - guys are out on the ice trying to kill each other and he disses an old g.f. and gets turfed..When did the NHL get so wussy? It was rude and un-called for but geeze louise miss manners! get over it! they all were thinkin' it anyway..he just has no couth..now he has no job..He's a hockey player..not the Director of the U.N.!
lol
Old 12-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
As a south-of-the-border longtime Yankees fan, I cringe at this acquisition. It looks like another in the almost 30-year-long line of Luis Tiant, Andy Messersmith, Jared Wright, Steve Avery, Carl Pavano, Andy Hawkins, etc., pitchers who have a good year in their walk year, sign for a contract that approaches the GDP of a small country, then have nothing left in the tank. AJ's a good pitcher except when he's hurt, which is a bit like saying that Oprah's slender except for the times when she's over 200.
When this contract is over with, you Blue Jay fans will be laughing at the Yanks and sighing with relief that you didn't overbid for this guy.
DQ
we've been bit by this particular sort of bug before...
and AJ seemed really hi maintenance on all levels. he did the 'good ole boy' routine to appease the masses but he didn't fool me..now it's time put on the show for dough..good luck Yankees..

now 'scuse me while I tell Sundin not to let the door hit him in the arse on the way outta town..
Old 12-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
jj

Quote:
you Blue Jay fans will be laughing at the Yanks and sighing with relief that you didn't overbid for this guy.
DQ

oh, we already did our overbidding about 4 years ago

oh boy, you're post had me LOLing quite a few times...that's a keeper

$$$ aside, you gotta be pleased to have CC...quite a horse

wonder what sports standings would look like if ranked by Wins/Total Salaries
Old 12-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
joveski

when i read the thread title, i thought that AJ Weberman had died!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
RM

Quote:
As a south-of-the-border longtime Yankees fan, I cringe at this acquisition.
Think about it. A new stadium, and another 'World Series Champion' banner to adorn it. The Yankees clubhouse will rein in Burnett's inconsistent behavior. It's destiny.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote