banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Wes Steele

Default Dad, Can We See Him Again?

Dad, Can We See Him Again?

Sorry I did not post this earlier...

This past June 11, the Steele family made a two hour drive to West Virginia to see Gordon Lightfoot. It was the first time for my youngest child Joey (Joey is 12) to see him and it was the first time we saw Gord as a family.

It’s been about 8 years since I saw him myself and was looking forward to it. Joey couldn't make it the last time we went because he was getting ready for open heart surgery.

The concert was the typical “class” concert. It is amazing Gord has so much “wind” to perform like he does, especially what he has been through.

I first saw Gord in 1973 and must have been to 40 concerts. His music has meant SO much to me over the years, the one thing that I wanted to do was personally thank him for his work. I thought that it would never happen when Gord was so seriously ill years ago. I had a sick feeling that I would never be able to tell him how his music has meant to me....I had a sick feeling that I would never see him again. The only thing I could do was to pray for him.

My whole family waited to see Gord after the show on June 11. I did “meet” him in passing a couple of times over the years. Even had my picture taken with him. But this time it was much different. When I first saw him come out the stage door all the nervousness went away. He came over to us and it was like seeing an old friend again. Someone that I have known for over thirty years. Gord was VERY cordial. We talked for some minutes, had our picture taken with him and he told me that he had to make it to his motel room.

Here was my chance that I have been wanting to do for over thirty years. I shook his hand, looked him in the eye and this is what I said....

“Gord, you have no idea how much your music has meant to me over the years. To get me over the “hump”, to get me through the bad times. I will never forget the first time I heard you in December of 1970 on CKLW, out of Windsor, “If You Could Read My Mind”. I have seen you many times in concert since then. I just want to say thank you for your music. You have made my life better because of it.”

We went our separate ways.

The next morning over breakfast my whole family was still excited over meeting Gord and we were each telling our little stories and comments about the show and meeting Gord. I said Gord is coming to Cleveland September 24. My little 12 year old boy Joey looked up over at me and asked very excitedly... “Dad, can we go see Gordon Lightfoot again?”

How do you think I answered him?

Will report in after the Cleveland show tonight.

Last edited by Wes Steele; 09-24-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Dad, Can We See Him Again?

Quote:
“Gord, you have no idea how much your music has meant to me over the years. To get me over the “hump”, to get me through the bad times. I will never forget the first time I heard you in December of 1970 on CKLW, out of Windsor, “If You Could Read My Mind”. I have seen you many times in concert since then. I just want to say thank you for your music. You have made my life better because of it.”
Im sure this pleased Mr. Lightfoot immensely... Thanks for sharing this Wes Steele, smart kid that Joey Have a great time tonight.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 09-24-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Steele View Post
Here was my chance that I have been wanting to do for over thirty years. I shook his hand, looked him in the eye and this is what I said....

Sorry Wes I simply do not believe you! That looks for all the world like the carefully thought out then well honed script of what you planned to say to Gord all nicely typed and printed oot for purposes of serious rehearsal.If you actually managed to blurt out more than the first six words intelligibly then you are a far better man than meGunga Din and 98.6% of the motley crew here.Come clean and admit the truth and if you are going to try again today report on the simplified version that you just might splutter out this evening!!

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Wes Steele

John,

That is all true. When Gord came over to us, he completely put us at ease. He even laughed at my corny joke. You know Gord LOVES corny jokes.

John, most everyone here would do the same.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
imported_Next_Saturday

“Dad, can we go see Gordon Lightfoot again?”

You're raising him right...
Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
charlene

Thanks for FINALLY posting about your concert Wes! I've been 'waiting for you'...
lol
Wes called me in Florida (in June) a day or so after the concert and we talked for a long time about his meeting with Gordon. He was STILL so excited about it and that Joey had finally got to a show.. that kid is one special little person for so many reasons and I hope the Cleveland show is as great for you guys or even better than the West Virginia show..and I remember you telling me what you said to him..just like you wrote it here..

don't wait months till you post again!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
mandoann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Steele View Post
Dad, Can We See Him Again?

Sorry I did not post this earlier...

This past June 11, the Steele family made a two hour drive to West Virginia to see Gordon Lightfoot. It was the first time for my youngest child Joey (Joey is 12) to see him and it was the first time we saw Gord as a family.

It’s been about 8 years since I saw him myself and was looking forward to it. Joey couldn't make it the last time we went because he was getting ready for open heart surgery.

The concert was the typical “class” concert. It is amazing Gord has so much “wind” to perform like he does, especially what he has been through.

I first saw Gord in 1973 and must have been to 40 concerts. His music has meant SO much to me over the years, the one thing that I wanted to do was personally thank him for his work. I thought that it would never happen when Gord was so seriously ill years ago. I had a sick feeling that I would never be able to tell him how his music has meant to me....I had a sick feeling that I would never see him again. The only thing I could do was to pray for him.

My whole family waited to see Gord after the show on June 11. I did “meet” him in passing a couple of times over the years. Even had my picture taken with him. But this time it was much different. When I first saw him come out the stage door all the nervousness went away. He came over to us and it was like seeing an old friend again. Someone that I have known for over thirty years. Gord was VERY cordial. We talked for some minutes, had our picture taken with him and he told me that he had to make it to his motel room.

We went our separate ways.

The next morning over breakfast my whole family was still excited over meeting Gord and we were each telling our little stories and comments about the show and meeting Gord. I said Gord is coming to Cleveland September 24. My little 12 year old boy Joey looked up over at me and asked very excitedly... “Dad, can we go see Gordon Lightfoot again?”

How do you think I answered him?

Will report in after the Cleveland show tonight.
Thanks, Wes, for your awesome story! I think you summed it up for all of us: YOu have made my life better because of it!

I'll be thinking of all of you tonight!

Thanks again.

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Sorry Wes I simply do not believe you! That looks for all the world like the carefully thought out then well honed script of what you planned to say to Gord all nicely typed and printed oot for purposes of serious rehearsal.If you actually managed to blurt out more than the first six words intelligibly then you are a far better man than meGunga Din and 98.6% of the motley crew here.Come clean and admit the truth and if you are going to try again today report on the simplified version that you just might splutter out this evening!!
Gunga Din
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Wikisource has original text related to this article:
Gunga DinGunga Din (1892) is one of Rudyard Kipling's most famous poems, perhaps best known for its often-quoted last stanza, "Tho' I've belted you and flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"[1] The poem is a rhyming narrative from the point of view of a British soldier, about a native water-bearer (a 'bhisti') who saves the soldier's life but dies himself. Like several Kipling poems, it celebrates the virtues of a non-European while revealing the racism of a colonial infantryman who views such people as being of a "lower order". The poem was published as one of the set of martial poems called the 'Barrack Room Ballads'.

I don't believe you johnfowles.

Christ, you're awful.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
Gitchigumee

Wes,

When I read your post, it brought tears to my eyes. I know how it feels to finally be able to thank him in person and tell him how much he means.

I will be attending the Sunday concert with my 13-yr-old daughter, and I can only hope that afterwards, she will turn and say to me: "Mom, can we see him again?"

Thanks again for the very personal and moving story.

- Gitch
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Wes Steele

Gitch,

I am sure that your daughter will be thrilled after the concert, especially if she grew up listening.

You know Gitch, all of us here know what Gordon has went through the past years with his illness and operations. I wonder how many people last night in Cleveland really knew what this guy went through to be where he is at, being able to perform again.

Gord's voice is a little weak, especially when the show started. No, he is not the same as he was even 20 years ago.

But still, the place went BOZO. Thats how good it was.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
Tim

Wes,
Thanks for your posts. Our families sound so similar. This coming Wednesday in St. Louis we will be there. My kids (ages 15 and 13) have put me on notice that we WILL wait around to meet Gordon, no matter what the hour. My son told me tonight that "being tired at school the next day is worth getting to meet Gordon the night before."
We are really looking forward to the show in St. Louis next Wednesday, Oct 1st, and are crossing our fingers that we are fortunate enough to meet him once again.