banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-26-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
Wally

do most of you sing the melody or are there some of you like me who find themselves inexplicably drawn to singing in harmony?

I've always been very fond of music with a great deal of harmony within it, and when I was younger I often hummed harmony along with groups like ABBA, Beach Boys, Bread, Don McLain etc..., but for some reason whether I consciously intend to or not, I'm almost always drawn to signing or humming along in harmony to GL's songs - I'm just curious if this is unusual or not?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
Cubfan64

do most of you sing the melody or are there some of you like me who find themselves inexplicably drawn to singing in harmony?

I've always been very fond of music with a great deal of harmony within it, and when I was younger I often hummed harmony along with groups like ABBA, Beach Boys, Bread, Don McLain etc..., but for some reason whether I consciously intend to or not, I'm almost always drawn to signing or humming along in harmony to GL's songs - I'm just curious if this is unusual or not?
Cubfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

Depends on the song, harmony when I can. Used to sing high harmony but with the advancing years, the voice has gotten lower (along with a few other things - but we won't go there, heh heh). Christian Island, Does Your Mother Know, Early Morning Rain, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face... in part, anyway. Others don't seem to lend themselves to harmony for me (wrong key, I guess.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

Depends on the song, harmony when I can. Used to sing high harmony but with the advancing years, the voice has gotten lower (along with a few other things - but we won't go there, heh heh). Christian Island, Does Your Mother Know, Early Morning Rain, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face... in part, anyway. Others don't seem to lend themselves to harmony for me (wrong key, I guess.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:06 PM   #5
Steve DeRosa

I like to sing harmony with Gord...but, I switch to melody if the notes get to high! I don't have much range, so when I sing along with Gord, I just try to hit whatever notes I can! Singing along with Gord is one of my favorite things to do...when I'm ALONE!
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:06 PM   #6
Oma

I like to sing harmony with Gord...but, I switch to melody if the notes get to high! I don't have much range, so when I sing along with Gord, I just try to hit whatever notes I can! Singing along with Gord is one of my favorite things to do...when I'm ALONE!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:35 PM   #7
Borderstone

In the case of GL,I can,most of the time, match him note for note,until he goes into that vibrato of his. Then I sound like I'm in need of some sort of therapy! I harmonize quite well and melody comes very easy to me. 'Nuff said. Later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited August 26, 2003).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #8
Tyler

I guess I mostly do harmony, I "mouth" the words if someone is around and if I am alone I just belt it out, once in a while I will sing the melody, I don't realize what I am doing most of the time I just seem to catch myself all of a sudden. As far as range like Oma says, I have no range I have no singing voice period.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
brink

I guess I mostly do harmony, I "mouth" the words if someone is around and if I am alone I just belt it out, once in a while I will sing the melody, I don't realize what I am doing most of the time I just seem to catch myself all of a sudden. As far as range like Oma says, I have no range I have no singing voice period.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:15 PM   #10
fowlesjohn

Confession is good for the soul I hear, but, man i could never sing like Gord. About all I can do is listen...but, I listen well.
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:15 PM   #11
gwen snyder

Confession is good for the soul I hear, but, man i could never sing like Gord. About all I can do is listen...but, I listen well.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 03:47 AM   #12
Iron

I harmody...

Iron
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:25 PM   #13
Wally

That's so interesting that so many of you like to harmonize with GL too! I wonder if some of the reason we like his music so much is due to the fact that many of the songs lend themselves so well to harmony. As someone else mentioned, what always seems to surprise me is that I "catch myself" harmonizing with him so much without making a conscious effort to do it.

It has to be an effect due to his songs/music/voice.

Thanks for the replys
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:25 PM   #14
Cubfan64

That's so interesting that so many of you like to harmonize with GL too! I wonder if some of the reason we like his music so much is due to the fact that many of the songs lend themselves so well to harmony. As someone else mentioned, what always seems to surprise me is that I "catch myself" harmonizing with him so much without making a conscious effort to do it.

It has to be an effect due to his songs/music/voice.

Thanks for the replys
Cubfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #15
Borderstone

I think anyone who cannot sing these simple melodies and harmonize,most likely can't sing. I'd surely hate to hear someone mangle these songs vocally! Later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote