banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
charlene

Default Thoughts on Wednesday concert in Yakima WA.

http://www.yakimaherald.com/blogs/la...lightfoot-show
Some thoughts on Wednesday’s Gordon Lightfoot show
Posted on March 15, 2013

By Pat Muir

I got an email Thursday from a guy who had read my Gordon Lightfoot preview last week and wanted to know how the show went.

Here’s what I wrote in my reply:

I’ve always had a soft spot for Lightfoot, mostly because I’m from Michigan and every bar singer in my fair state has “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” in his repertoire. But I’m not a superfan or anything like that. I always thought of him as a sort of guilty pleasure, a guy who’s kind of corny and square but who just writes such good songs that I had to like him.

He was very impressive when I interviewed him, just a thoughtful, straightforward, salt-of-the-earth guy. So, yeah, I bought a ticket for the show, not to go review it but just to watch. In the interim I heard, unsolicited and from two separate people, that it is the most boring concert they had ever seen. They’d both seen him in the ’70s.

So my expectations weren’t that high.

And ... he was terrific. His voice isn’t what it used to be. But in a way it’s better. It has this aged poignancy. It seems as though it might crack at any moment. But it doesn’t. And when he needs to summon some of its old strength, he still can. I wish he would find himself a good producer and get back in the studio tomorrow, because the way he sounds now is just as rich (in a totally different way) as he sounded in his prime.

I got the impression, when I spoke with him, that he’s not going to do any more studio recordings. But I think he could have his “Time Out of Mind” or his “American Recordings,” just like Dylan and Cash did late in their careers — something to represent the sum of his career and cement him as one of his generation’s guru-level balladeers. In the absence of such a recording, what we’re left with is the live show. And it’s a hell of a thing. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Bill

Default Re: Thoughts on Wednesday concert in Yakima WA.

I agree...Cash did it, Dylan, Loretta Lynn...several others. Strip it down and play. But Gordo has always called the shots and not steered a common path. For him to choose, but ok for us to say he is missing a huge opportunity.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Very nice article and sums up what a lot of us think. However, being a hardhead myself, I figure a new album is never going to happen but, really, so what. I'd play it four or five times and put it on the iPod and then go back to Don Quixote for sure.

"What we're left with is the live show"(s) and at this point that makes us a damn lucky group of fans, eh?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Gord Fan

You said it all Bill. After seeing last night's concert in Tacoma, I feel like the luckiest person in the world.

Russ
Gord Fan is offline   Reply With Quote