banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #26
LadyA

Default Re: Massey Hall setlist Saturday 21 November 2009

Couch Itching
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. You are also entitled to stop paying good money to see Gord or anyone else if the performances no longer rate high enough on your scale. This conversation has been had a million & one times on this site. I sincerely doubt that most of the posters here are delusional. I believe that most know full well the difference between then & now. His music has supported me in the past &, as long as he is performing, I'll make a point to be there to support him a couple times a year as I have for the past 30+ years. Ultimately, it is his choice as to whether he performs or not, not ours. I understand that you don't agree with that choice but, I bet, if you asked him, he'd say to you what I'm saying, if you don't want to hear it, stay home. That is YOUR choice!
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #27
charlene

Well if you're 'expected' to attend then certainly attend but don't bother posting your disappointments and embarassment..

I assume you're not just a 'fan' so I can't figure why you attend so many shows unless you are an employee/crew or the like and are required to attend.. just a supposition however.

Such are the mysteries of life when someone says they don't enjoy something but keep going back for more.

I know there's a saying by Einstein about what insanity is - when you keep doing the same thing over and over but expect a different result.

But if you are 'expected' then maybe you don't have a choice...in that case I feel sorry for you that you are having to attend something you obviously find very difficult to endure and then feel compelled to express your feelings here.

If it is your choice then I really can't say anything except perhaps Einstein was right.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #28
Couch Itching

Once again your attempt at petty insults fails to impress. I would surmise that your Lightfoot infatuation adds meaning to what truly must be a drab existence. If he validates your rather pathetic existence then I fell quite sorry for you. I would guess you're a very lonely woman from some small town probably close to Toronto. Never married or divorced and this "power" you feel you wield on the internet somehow makes you feel worthwhile. I am sure your minions will chime in but please do not take your bitterness out on other people. It really makes you look foolish and sad.
Couch Itching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #29
formerlylavender

It's obvious to me that Couch Itching is a man and a very angry one at that. He wants to pick a fight like a disgruntled child. Doing something you can't stand just because it's "rather expected" of you is just ridiculous. What a big baby!

BTW I'm not a postmenopausal woman...yet. We're all headed in the same direction like it or not - even you!!!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #30
imported_Next_Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Itching View Post
Once again your attempt at petty insults fails to impress. I would surmise that your Lightfoot infatuation adds meaning to what truly must be a drab existence. If he validates your rather pathetic existence then I fell quite sorry for you. I would guess you're a very lonely woman from some small town probably close to Toronto. Never married or divorced and this "power" you feel you wield on the internet somehow makes you feel worthwhile. I am sure your minions will chime in but please do not take your bitterness out on other people. It really makes you look foolish and sad.
Itch,
I'm guessing you're probably male, but you're certainly not a man. Whatever your opinion of Lightfoot is, you've made it irrelevant because your using your ability to list here as a basis for personal attacks. No one cares if you're a fan, or whether or not you are making valid points. You are merely the kind of lonely, bitter individual who craves the attention online (positive or negative) that you are have no way of knowing how to get in real life.

I've never met Char, so I don't consider myself to be "one of her minions". But I do respect her as a fellow human being--unlike someone like you who bounces from discussion board to discussion board dropping your ill will to wherever the internet takes you. If you were born a few years earlier, you would've been just another kid with a spray can...

So what if Lightfoot has lost it? If he still wants to bank another $5mil a year in concerts so be it. If nobody wants to come, they won't. But that's just your cover story for creating your little scene so everyone can see YOU. Ok, we saw you, YAWN.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #31
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Next_Saturday View Post
If you were born a few years earlier, you would've been just another kid with a spray can...
Oooh, good one. I surmise graffiti is rampant in your neck of the woods too.

Last edited by RM; 11-23-2009 at 02:53 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #32
KHester

I think he's getting more then enough attention. After all everyone has an opinion. and that's his opinion. Most of us just wish we could have gone through all that agony (joy) seeing 250 concerts. I want to hear more about the concerts including pics and possible vids.

To all my friends here may each of you have a Happy Thanksgiving (USA). For my Canadian friends I trust you did have one. And for those around the world May your lives be filled with joy and peace.

Kevin
Old 11-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #33
Jesse Joe

Couch Itching is not a ~gl~ fan for sure...

"to be insane beyond belief is sometimes the best relief"... ~gl~
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #34
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Found this:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...=Couch+Itching
Old 11-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #35
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by byKimberly View Post
oh good gawd I remember this..now I know why this had a deja vu feel to it..good find Kim..
Old 11-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #36
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

As it is my thread that got hijacked by this cretin.I think I should say something else
Earlier I was intending to fairly simply say that everybody is entitled to his/her/its opinion, and no doubt there are others here who have grimaced when Gord does not quite make it.I consider myself blessed because I remember the golden days of the late 60s when Gord's voice was truly sublime (right up to at least the 1975 Red Rocks concert) and it is true that in the late 70's my interest wained as I perceived that his voice was deteriorating.
No doubt this is why I personaly favour the United Artists' five albums
But in fact my two favourite songs are now
Let It Ride from EOM and restless from Waiting For You
Now we know that your poison pen or itching typing finger has spewed forth irrelevant and highly opinionated bile before on the Newsgroup.
where you described Harmony as
"The album is weak. Probably in his bottom 3 and certainly the worst since EOM".
Many of us who are not as blinkered as you thoroughly enjoy that remarkable album
and your analysis and remarks about Cathy was out of court by miles as well as insufferably rude.
Anyway as far as spam and troll postings go I suggested to Char that Florian should consider
incorporating a CAPTCHA system to ensure that only real live humans could enrol as members (since it is blindingly obvious that much of the spam is robotically generated) and I said I would look into it
For those who do not know CAPTCHA as shown in the wiki at:-\http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA
is a catchy acronym for
"Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart."
and "is sometimes described as a reverse Turing test, because it is administered by a machine and targeted to a human, in contrast to the standard Turing test that is typically administered by a human and targeted to a machine"
This interested me hugely because Alan Turing was a computer pioneer and one time head of Hut 8 at the famous Bletchley Park where the secret codes of the German Enigma cyphering machines were broken a subject I find fascinating and because
"In 1926, at the age of 14, he went on to Sherborne School, a famous and expensive public school in Dorset"
Sherborne in England is my birthplace although I never went to the "Public" i.e. Private fee paying school
But to the splendid local boys "public" i.e. free (County Council run) "Grammer" school
Whatever I would love to add a captcha feature to my web site as my guestbooks have on occasion had stoopid spam attacks
and if and when I succeed I will pass my knowledge on to Florian
you all have seen and used captchas
here is an example

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 11-23-2009 at 05:53 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #37
JohnStinson

ah ...the old voice debate..

Well here's my experience and comment..

May 2008...hadn't been in years...thought his voice was not very good.

Nov 2009...listened with renewed interest... THAT GUY CAN SING...he takes the range and expression that he has ...and does the same beautiful CONTROL and DELIVERY that makes his voice unique. A compelling singer...just as he always has been...to me...now...Gord does it at any age... He will be 95..the voice will again be different ..but i want to be there and listen to how he can deliver a song... he captures you...ALL the time.

IMHO

john
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #38
charlene

yeah - what John said..
Old 11-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #39
Kelly Davis

Have seen Gord 13 times since 1991. Met him 11 of those times. 6 times with all 3 of my kids.
Thoroughly enjoyed each one. As many of you 'faithful' have noted, a Gordon Lightfoot concert is about seeing and honoring Gordon for all the wonderful music he has given the world over the course of his lifetime.

The 'faithful' will continue to do this as long as Gordon performs live (hopefully for a long time). Don't let the opinion(s) of a few ruin your day!!!!

We all know who we love! That's all that matters here.

Stay 'faithful' - To God and Gord !!!!!
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #40
TC

OK, I'll chime in on this too.

About Gord's voice...YAWN......

What I will say is that this brought out many folks who don't post often. It's nice to hear what the Lurkers have to say. I'm certainly one of them.

TC
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #41
mandomyk

Perhaps the handle should be Couch Potato.....
No Time for that type.... varied oppinions yes..personal attacks NO.
I would like to thanks all those that I met/talked/played with over the past magical weekend.
Thanks Char for going over and above arrahging tickets, the dinner etc..
Thanks, also to Laurrie and John Wallace for opening your doors to us obssessed fans and allowing play a few tunes.
Keynon and RJ always a blast to jam with ya.
Hope to hear from anyone attending Ottawa for April 2010(excluding CP of course).
Gords voice and guitar work has improved each and everytime we've attended since 2006