banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Edmund Fitzgerald.com

Default 50 Year Anniversary - Edmund Fitzgerald

"Celebrating the launch of the S. S. Edmund Fitzgerald"
It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon on June 7th, 1958, as more than 10,000 people lined the banks of the Detroit River. They had come to witness the launching of Hull 301 at the Great Lakes Engineering Works of River Rouge, Michigan.
Mrs. Edmund Fitzgerald, wife of the president of the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company for which the ship was named, christened the brand new ship and at 12:34 p.m. the 729 ft. "Edmund Fitzgerald" slid gracefully into the basin amid cheers, salutes, and well wishers.
For many of those in attendance, it was a spectacle that they would never forget.

The shipyard workers who constructed "Big Fitz" felt a deep sense of satisfaction as they anxiously watched the launch of this marvelous vessel. Being a prideful lot, they often endured long hours and harsh conditions. This was their "crowning achievement" and the beauty of their craftsmanship was truly evident to all those present.
This year marks the 50th anniversary of that memorable event. It is an opportunity to reflect on and celebrate a joyous time in our lives. It is also a chance to recall the great pride and cherished memories experienced by the ship workers, the community, and all who had the opportunity to witness the launching of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
On this historic occasion, let us joyously share our personal stories, renew old friendships, and fondly remember the day when the "Queen Of The Lakes" was born.
Edmund Fitzgerald.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Edmund Fitzgerald.com

Default Re: 50 Year Anniversary - Edmund Fitzgerald

June 7th 2008
Gibraltar Historical Museum
Lake Erie Metropark
11 am to 4pm
Free History Event

The Lake Erie Metropark will be hosting a Downriver Historical Event and Celebration featuring the 50th Anniversary of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald. This will also include workshops on shipbuilders, ships built in Gibraltar and downriver in the last 200 years. There will be a Salute to Excellence Award, Meet the Designers and Ship Builders Launch Commemoration and lots of Art and Artists. This historical event will be hosted at the Marshlands Museum and Nature Center and the Gibraltar Historical Museum will also be a part of this celebration day with Special Hours of 11am to 4pm Saturday.

Please contact Roscoe Clark at (810)955-4305, Debbie Davenport at (734)692-8901 or check website www.ssEdmundFitzgerald.com for more information.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Edmund Fitzgerald.com

Launching Whistle 12:38 PM LIVE
I also have the launching whistle I blew to clear my crew from under the ship prior to launching. I will bring it with me for the meeting and will blow it at 12:38 - believe that was the time the fitz was launched.
See it LIVE click here - June 7, 2008

It never ceases to amaze me the ways in which this tragedy affected people who had no connection to the industry, my own family included. Would love to have postcards mailed to each of my two sons. When they were little, we used to attend the Blessing of the Fleet at Mariner's Church in the spring as well as the memorial service each November.

We made a trip to the U.P. when the oldest boy was just six or seven. One of our stops was The Valley Camp. We had a chance to go back a few summers ago for a second look. While we were walking the deck, my first-born confided that that previous visit was what convinced him to join the Coast Guard. His younger brother plans to join him in the service in the near future.

Please address them both to this address. The oldest is in the process of transfering to the USCGC Acushnet. We don't have an address for him in Ketchikan yet.

Doug

Ernie Brewer.
The first to receive the 2008 Official Certificate Of Excellenceaward. He was a welder from Great Lakes Engineering Works.
Only at the 50 Year Anniversary. June 7, 2008

WE will be there for the anniversary June 7th & 8th
would you please send the post card, certificate,
ticket and any other keepsakes you are giving, for
the asking, it would mean so much. I would be glad
to pay for them, let me know how much.
I have been looking forward to this Special Event!!!
Could you E Mail me a list of events for the
Anniversary? Edmund Fitzgerald 50th !!!!!
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH Claude ( It's Free Thanks)
Old 05-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Edmund Fitzgerald.com

I want to say thank's to you Roscoe and all the people who have made the
50'th anniversary event of the Edmund Fitzgerald possible also thank's to the many who have contributed to adding name's and stories to this web site .

All the stories and name's
bring back many memories of a time 50 year' ago of name's of men I remember who worked with me at the GLEW ship yard' so long ago . My father R LOGAN A WELDER HELPER AT GLEW would have loved to have seen so any stories and familiar names that are on the web site . DAD thought a lot of the ship yard and talked about it often and spoke of our welding foremen whitey very highly . You may post this info if you like . ( L LOGE welder helper and welder )
Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Edmund Fitzgerald.com

The 50th Anniversary of the building of this great ship is so special to those who took part in the construction and were associated with her in some way. The construction videos and launching were very interesting to watch and remind us how pride, hard work and determination in building this vessel meant to all involved. I wish my Dad were alive to see this web site and to talk to you. He would have been moved by all the people that have stepped forward and contributed to your web site.
Jeff G. Burgner
Son of George H. Burgner
Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
Edmund Fitzgerald.com

Raymond Ramsay, M.Sc.
For Whom the Bells Toll: The Unexplained Losses of S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald, M.V. Derbyshire, and Other Vessels of the Bulk-Cargo Silent Service is a revealing and detailed study of the factors that may have contributed to tragic sinkings that occurred without evidence of a distress signal nor the presence of survivors or witnesses.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
Edmund Fitzgerald.com

Six-Fathom Shoal
Perhaps the most widely accepted of the four theories about the loss of the Fitzgerald is that the ship crossed Caribou Island’s Six-Fathom Shoal, which is located off the north end of the island with water as shallow as 26.5 feet. This contact or a near contact would damage the hull plate and allow water to begin accumulating inside the affected port side ballast tanks. Significantly, within a few minutes of passing the unmarked shoal, the Fitzgerald Captain Ernest McSorley reported a port list, missing vents and a fence rail down. Beyond that, Captain “Bernie” Cooper and Morgan Clark of the Anderson commented that his radar showed the - Fitzgerald to be closer to the shoal than he wanted his ship to be. Cooper's audio
Fitzgerald to be closer
to the shoal than he wanted
his ship to be

PSA Movie Clip "Broken" File 3.3 meg.
Despite many people accepting this as the most likely scenario for the sudden list and deck damage, the photographic evidence for such a grounding may exist. Every expedition to the freighter has reported that there is some scraping, gouging or damage to the rudder or propeller, which should show on the overturned bottom of the stern. Diving expeditions on the shoals soon may find new evidence of groundings by a ship.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Edmund Fitzgerald.com

Six-Fathom Shoal

Perhaps the most widely accepted of the four theories about the loss of the Fitzgerald is that the ship crossed Caribou Island’s Six-Fathom Shoal, which is located off the north end of the island with water as shallow as 26.5 feet. This contact or a near contact would damage the hull plate and allow water to begin accumulating inside the affected port side ballast tanks. Significantly, within a few minutes of passing the unmarked shoal, the Fitzgerald Captain Ernest McSorley reported a port list, missing vents and a fence rail down. Beyond that, Captain “Bernie” Cooper and Morgan Clark of the Anderson commented that his radar showed the - Fitzgerald to be closer to the shoal than he wanted his ship to be. Cooper's audio
Fitzgerald to be closer

to the shoal than he wanted
his ship to be

PSA Movie Clip "Broken" File 3.3 meg.
Despite many people accepting this as the most likely scenario for the sudden list and deck damage, the photographic evidence for such a grounding may exist. Every expedition to the freighter has reported that there is some scraping, gouging or damage to the rudder or propeller, which should show on the overturned bottom of the stern. Diving expeditions on the shoals soon may find new evidence of groundings by a ship.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Borderstone

Wow!! Thanks for all of that. I didn't know all of that history about the ship.

Very interesting stuff "EFC". Thnaks for stopping in....and welcome from me,Borderstone.

Tags
edmund, fitzgerald