banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-30-2002, 06:33 AM   #1
Westernstar9

What is your favorite acoustic guitar? It can be one you own, one you have owned, or one you would like to own. Explain what is good about it.
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:50 PM   #2
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I love my Martin D-15, even though it developed a crack in the back during our harsh Maine winter. But it has been repaired an all is well in the universe again.
I've played several higher end Martins and Taylors, but have never come across one that even compares to the D-15. The body is solid mahogany, which makes for a nice, deep tone, good bass response and well balanced treble. In my opinion, it's the perfect guitar for fingerpicking.
It took several months of hard playing to open up the tone, but once it opened up, it just amazed me.
The action is great, too. It's low enough so that it plays easily, but not so low that it snaps or buzzes.
When I was in Saratoga Springs last weekend, I played a Garrison and was pretty impressed by it. Garrison guitars have interior braces that are made of some kind of composite material. It looks like plastic, but I'm sure it's not. Anyway, the Garrison's tone and volume was unbelievable, and the price wasn't bad, either. I believe it was somewhere in the $700 range.

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 09:08 PM   #3
Steve

I've played a German made Hofner for over 25 years. Bought it at a PX in Germany for under $200. Still use it as my traveling and practice guitar. I bought a Martin HD-28 about 3 years ago. Really like it, but it's about 2 grand with hard case. If I had it to do over I would buy a Taylor. Have played several that are great sounding and less expensive than the Martin. If money was no object I would buy a Santa Cruz, absolutely the best guitar I have ever played. The one I tried was a little over 3 grand.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 02:57 PM   #4
Derek

Wow, this is a tough one to answer. All the guitars I own are my favorites, for very different reasons. I have a Taylor 855 12-string (spruce top-rosewood back/sides) which is the best 12-string I've personally been able to play (it sure was fun audtioning all the others though!). I have a Taylor 310 6-string (spruce top-sapele (mahoghany-like) back/sides). This is sort of my "everyday" 6-string--I have no problems carting it around. I have one of the Martin D18GLs, which is just starting to "open up" in terms of its sound--that one doesn't go out of the house very often though! For the electrics, I have always loved Telecasters, so I have the 1989 reissue of the '52, with Seymour Duncan pickups. I also have an S3 solidbody (see www.s3guitars.com--it's at the bottom of the page), made by my friend/bandmate Steve Saperstein--this one is special because I got to help design it and specify the woods and electronics. I also have a terrible 22 year-old Hohner 12-string, which is rather like a 4x4 with strings on it. But in terms of its sentimental value, it's the most valuable guitar I own. Of the guitars I've had the chance to play, my favorite acoustics (so far!) have been the Collings D2H (I think its roughly their equivalent of a Martin D28), and the Santa Cruz and Goodall dreadnoughts. But the best one I've ever played was a couple of months ago, a beautiful 1943 D18. That thing is basically thunder in a box!
Derek
Old 06-07-2002, 03:54 PM   #5
char

Did you not try my Air Guitar last May at my place Derek? If you had you would know it is THE most awesome guitar ever!
lol
Char
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 02:13 PM   #6
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

A favorite guitar is a personal thing. The trick is, find a guitar that fits your playing style, one that you are comfortable with. Don't let $$ be the dominant factor in your choice of guitars.

And I agree with Derek. His Taylor 855 is the nicest 12 string I've played.

Char, as far as your guitar goes, I have to admit. When I tried it in Toronto last year, it sounded a little flat... Oh wait! Geez! I think I forgot to blow it up first!

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 08:51 PM   #7
telekidd

[QUOTE]Originally posted by char:
[B]Did you not try my Air Guitar last May at my place Derek? If you had you would know it is THE most awesome guitar ever!
lol
Char

Oh yeah! I have NEVER sounded so good!
Derek

telekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 09:10 AM   #8
ambrose woodfellow

i've played a number of guitars over the years as many other have. martins, gibs's, taylors, epi's and a bunch that i don't remember names to. most of them played well with their own personality.

but my steadfast partners since '73 has been my Mahogany Guild D-25 and Guild Sunburst F312. The 25 has a single piece arched back with no stress bars and delivers a great balance between bass and treble. It's an excellent finger picking guitar with an easy neck. The 312 carrys extremely clear tones though not as bassy as the 25. THe 312 is really picky about strings though. I use Martin Marquis lights, tune down a step and capo up as needed.

I hope this isn't too brash, but here's a pic of the Guild and me. http://www.croakingfrogmusic.com/ambrose/index.htm

The newer psuedo-fender-guild guitar of today don't even come close to the quality of 30 years ago.

But if I were to but a new guitar today and had the money to do it, I'd scarf on this Taylor, http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/models/gslj.html . It's just plain beautiful. <g>

I think I'd just have to frame it and put it on the wall!

ambrose
ambrose woodfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 01:06 PM   #9
james hill

i have a fender f-185, capo & a bunch of picks. finger picking is beyond me & i don't understand all these different tunings, so i follow the instructions in the Lightfoot music books instead. yes i'm definitely a strummer & a grinner but most of all i love to sing. Gord's songs are the best to sing. really good therapy.

James Hill
james hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 01:36 AM   #10
Westernstar9

I've heard all the top brands mentioned here. I currently own a Martin J-40. Two years ago I sold my D-28 (I wish I hadn't) which was made in 1973.
This may sound sacreligious, but does anyone play or admire Ovation?
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 04:47 PM   #11
waltsongs

quote:This may sound sacreligious, but does anyone play or admire Ovation?

I've never played an Ovation, but I've been playing the same Epiphone for 20 years, and I love it. I've tried others, but I like the sound of my Epiphone.

Walter Farmer
waltsongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:19 AM   #12
wattsdmatter

Ambrose is right, this guitar has just gone on my Christmas wish list.

James, you are like me, I also follow Gordons suggestions especially "Use thumb and finger 'Travis' style. If you can't do that, try a flat pick. If you can't do that ..... get a job. G.L."
wattsdmatter is offline   Reply With Quote