banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-30-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
Veronica

Where to begin ? Thanks everyone for the setlists, I'm never good at that.

NYC is a great place for any show and not just because I was born and raised there, LOL. Max from Italy could not make it so he told me to use his tickets which I gave to my sister and my niece (no, not her daughter). Had a great NY bistro meal down the street and got there too early, doors were shut. My wife said "hey, there's the bass player" to which I replied "no dear that's Terry" and she said "you're right !" So we walked around 42nd St for awhile. Nice but what a freak show, LOL.

Circled the block and whne we got back the doors were open and Rick and Barry were walking up the street. We said hello and they almost seemed surprised to be recognized and then we went in.

Spotted John Fowles two rows ahead of us and said hello and went to make sure my sister's seats were cool - they were ! Went back to chat with John for awhile and after some time his wife and MIL and my wife showed up. Getting close !

Great crowd reaction to the band and Gord as they took the stage. But NYC is tough and there was a major problem with the vocal sound level. I'm no expert but it was just wrong and after each song the crowd was shouting 'turn up the mic' and 'we can't hear you' etc. They were polite but insistent. Later in the set Gord acknowledged the complaints but played it off saying "hey - we're an acoustic act, haha" I don't think he knew how bad it was. We were in the 4th row center and during Sundown you could hear Rick almost as well as Gord and he has no mic. But there was great applause after each tune, we are "fans" after all.

Intermission and the crowd was buzzing about "his voice" some claiming it was not the equipment but the cigarettes and hard life. Many in the crowd had not seen him for 30 years, etc. I was a little worried some folks might leave.

But never fear ! When they came back the sound was up and perfect and he stood a little closer to the mic. He was hitting home runs with every song and the crowd showered him with loud applause and prolonged clapping. Each tune got better and better and he was smiling like a kid at the reception. Perfect rendition of Beautiful and the great verse in Let It Ride was where it belonged.

The second set was as good as I have ever heard, it was great, great, great and better. He was not as chatty as sometimes but made a few references to "getting home after tonight". When he started CRT as the encore I said to my wife "only one encore tonight" and I was right. He nailed it and let the crowd happy and wanting more as it should be.

If 2006 is half as good as this show we're in for a treat.

More later,

Bill

P.S. My wife had the treat of a 300 pound man next to her who came in late with his friends and alternately sang and snored through the first set. Mercifully he stood in the back for the second set. I think he was 'stoned', ya think ?
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Where to begin ? Thanks everyone for the setlists, I'm never good at that.

NYC is a great place for any show and not just because I was born and raised there, LOL. Max from Italy could not make it so he told me to use his tickets which I gave to my sister and my niece (no, not her daughter). Had a great NY bistro meal down the street and got there too early, doors were shut. My wife said "hey, there's the bass player" to which I replied "no dear that's Terry" and she said "you're right !" So we walked around 42nd St for awhile. Nice but what a freak show, LOL.

Circled the block and whne we got back the doors were open and Rick and Barry were walking up the street. We said hello and they almost seemed surprised to be recognized and then we went in.

Spotted John Fowles two rows ahead of us and said hello and went to make sure my sister's seats were cool - they were ! Went back to chat with John for awhile and after some time his wife and MIL and my wife showed up. Getting close !

Great crowd reaction to the band and Gord as they took the stage. But NYC is tough and there was a major problem with the vocal sound level. I'm no expert but it was just wrong and after each song the crowd was shouting 'turn up the mic' and 'we can't hear you' etc. They were polite but insistent. Later in the set Gord acknowledged the complaints but played it off saying "hey - we're an acoustic act, haha" I don't think he knew how bad it was. We were in the 4th row center and during Sundown you could hear Rick almost as well as Gord and he has no mic. But there was great applause after each tune, we are "fans" after all.

Intermission and the crowd was buzzing about "his voice" some claiming it was not the equipment but the cigarettes and hard life. Many in the crowd had not seen him for 30 years, etc. I was a little worried some folks might leave.

But never fear ! When they came back the sound was up and perfect and he stood a little closer to the mic. He was hitting home runs with every song and the crowd showered him with loud applause and prolonged clapping. Each tune got better and better and he was smiling like a kid at the reception. Perfect rendition of Beautiful and the great verse in Let It Ride was where it belonged.

The second set was as good as I have ever heard, it was great, great, great and better. He was not as chatty as sometimes but made a few references to "getting home after tonight". When he started CRT as the encore I said to my wife "only one encore tonight" and I was right. He nailed it and let the crowd happy and wanting more as it should be.

If 2006 is half as good as this show we're in for a treat.

More later,

Bill

P.S. My wife had the treat of a 300 pound man next to her who came in late with his friends and alternately sang and snored through the first set. Mercifully he stood in the back for the second set. I think he was 'stoned', ya think ?
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
Molly

Great review, what happened to Max though?
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
Gord H

Thanks for the review BillW... only a GL fan would recognize his band members :D
Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
gordon is magic

Just to add my two cents to the Town Hall review.
I thought Gord was in fine voice considering his health problems- all they needed to do was turn up his mic a little. Where was the sound guy when everyone was yelling "turn up the vocals."?
Just wondering.
The sound for the second set was fine, though.
This was my first trip to Town Hall. A guy next to me saw Natalie Merchant and King Crimson there and said they had sound problems at both shows.
I was wondering why Gord chose to play 5 cuts from the Harmony album, which came out 25 years ago and wasn't exactly a fan favorite. Anybody have a guess? Valerie?
I was surprised and pleased to hear "Pony Man." It would be great if he threw in some cuts from the UA days, like "If I Could", "Something Very Special", or "Walls". I'd also love to hear some other tracks from "Old Dan's Records", which is my all-time favorite Lightfoot album.
Minor complaints aside, this was a great show. Gord really seemed to appreciate the enthusiasm from the crowd, to the point where he came out and took a bow by himself after the show ended and the applause kept going.
My first concert ever was a Lightfoot show at Garden State Arts Center in New Jersey in 1976. I'll never forget his response when I asked him for his autograph- "Is there no rest for the wicked?" He smiled and signed for me anyway. Thanks, Gord. And thank you for all the great songs that have become part of the soundtrack to my life.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
danceallnighttothe78s

Just to add my two cents to the Town Hall review.
I thought Gord was in fine voice considering his health problems- all they needed to do was turn up his mic a little. Where was the sound guy when everyone was yelling "turn up the vocals."?
Just wondering.
The sound for the second set was fine, though.
This was my first trip to Town Hall. A guy next to me saw Natalie Merchant and King Crimson there and said they had sound problems at both shows.
I was wondering why Gord chose to play 5 cuts from the Harmony album, which came out 25 years ago and wasn't exactly a fan favorite. Anybody have a guess? Valerie?
I was surprised and pleased to hear "Pony Man." It would be great if he threw in some cuts from the UA days, like "If I Could", "Something Very Special", or "Walls". I'd also love to hear some other tracks from "Old Dan's Records", which is my all-time favorite Lightfoot album.
Minor complaints aside, this was a great show. Gord really seemed to appreciate the enthusiasm from the crowd, to the point where he came out and took a bow by himself after the show ended and the applause kept going.
My first concert ever was a Lightfoot show at Garden State Arts Center in New Jersey in 1976. I'll never forget his response when I asked him for his autograph- "Is there no rest for the wicked?" He smiled and signed for me anyway. Thanks, Gord. And thank you for all the great songs that have become part of the soundtrack to my life.
danceallnighttothe78s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
Auburn Annie

"I was wondering why Gord chose to play 5 cuts from the Harmony album, which came out 25 years ago and wasn't exactly a fan favorite. Anybody have a guess?"

Um, I know time flies but ... "Harmony" was released in May 2004, not 25 years ago. That was "Dream Street Rose" that came out in 1980.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:16 PM   #8
Auburn Annie

"I was wondering why Gord chose to play 5 cuts from the Harmony album, which came out 25 years ago and wasn't exactly a fan favorite. Anybody have a guess?"

Um, I know time flies but ... "Harmony" was released in May 2004, not 25 years ago. That was "Dream Street Rose" that came out in 1980.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:55 PM   #9
BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by Molly:
Great review, what happened to Max though?
Max had to stay in Italy to care for a family member who had some health problems. He hopes to make the trip to NYC in the spring. Thanks for asking I know he was saddened to miss the show but sometimes ya gotta do the right thing if you know what I mean. We missed meeting him.

Bill
Old 10-30-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
BILLW

Hey danceallnight,

Where were you sitting ? The people right behind me were telling the same story about the sound !

Bill
Old 10-30-2005, 09:01 PM   #11
BILLW

I think it was Shadows that he did 5 from, probably because they're in his current range and the 'hardcores' in the crowd love them. Just IMO.

Bill
Old 10-31-2005, 07:11 AM   #12
<formerlylavender>

Sounds like you had a great time, Bill. Thanks for the review. I asked Barry and Terry about touring in 2006, and both said they didn't know. I guess Gord doesn't give them too much notice???or they just can't say. That was great that your sister and niece got to use the two extra tickets. Just curious...what did they think?
I, personally, love the Shadows album, so I'm happy to hear songs from that one. But I guess I could pretty much say that about any album!

I can't believe that man was SNORING next to your wife. Singing I can handle...but snoring is just RUDE! Thankfully he moved to the back for the second set. Hopefully he could keep himself awake!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:11 AM   #13
<formerlylavender>

Sounds like you had a great time, Bill. Thanks for the review. I asked Barry and Terry about touring in 2006, and both said they didn't know. I guess Gord doesn't give them too much notice???or they just can't say. That was great that your sister and niece got to use the two extra tickets. Just curious...what did they think?
I, personally, love the Shadows album, so I'm happy to hear songs from that one. But I guess I could pretty much say that about any album!

I can't believe that man was SNORING next to your wife. Singing I can handle...but snoring is just RUDE! Thankfully he moved to the back for the second set. Hopefully he could keep himself awake!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:38 AM   #14
charlene

thanks Bill! sounds like a great night. Too bad about Max tho...
got pics?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:38 AM   #15
charlene

got pics?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:06 PM   #16
BILLW

They had a great time and enjoyed the show, especially the second set when it was a bit easier to hear him. We missed you and your brother though - maybe next time.

Bill
Old 10-31-2005, 12:27 PM   #17
BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
got pics?
Funny you should ask about pics, in the hustle & bustle of getting tarted up and walking to the bus we forgot everyone's cameras - oh well !

Bill
Old 10-31-2005, 02:37 PM   #18
<TheDude>

Hi. I was at the show as well and while I'm not a regular to this site, I thought you might want to hear impressions from someone who's never seen Lightfoot live before.

I'm probably one of the younger GL fans you'll meet, but I was well aware that his voice had diminished. I'm surprised that some people in the crowd were surprised by it; I would have thought if you'd heard any of the recent albums you'd know what to expect. I thought the shouting about it being too low became annoying after the first couple of times. To their credit, Gordon and the band took care of the issue for the 2nd set.

The theater was about 200 degrees too hot in the beginning, but much like the mic issue, it was fixed for the 2nd set (at least for the 2nd part of the 2nd set).

Speaking of the second set, as others have said, it was amazing. He really sounded great (first set was good, second was better). I can't get over how good Beautiful sounded. To me that was the song of the night. Other memorables were Let It Ride, Couchiching, and Pony Man (I never thought I'd hear that one...very cool!).

Overall, I'm just so happy I got a chance to see him....I'm not sure if I'll ever have the opportunity again. So the voice isn't what it used to be...maybe part of the issue is that he set such a high standard in his prime (and on his recordings). Regardless, it's hard to beat seeing a favorite musician for the first time. A dream come true to see GL at any stage of his career.

Cheers
Old 10-31-2005, 02:37 PM   #19
<TheDude>

Hi. I was at the show as well and while I'm not a regular to this site, I thought you might want to hear impressions from someone who's never seen Lightfoot live before.

I'm probably one of the younger GL fans you'll meet, but I was well aware that his voice had diminished. I'm surprised that some people in the crowd were surprised by it; I would have thought if you'd heard any of the recent albums you'd know what to expect. I thought the shouting about it being too low became annoying after the first couple of times. To their credit, Gordon and the band took care of the issue for the 2nd set.

The theater was about 200 degrees too hot in the beginning, but much like the mic issue, it was fixed for the 2nd set (at least for the 2nd part of the 2nd set).

Speaking of the second set, as others have said, it was amazing. He really sounded great (first set was good, second was better). I can't get over how good Beautiful sounded. To me that was the song of the night. Other memorables were Let It Ride, Couchiching, and Pony Man (I never thought I'd hear that one...very cool!).

Overall, I'm just so happy I got a chance to see him....I'm not sure if I'll ever have the opportunity again. So the voice isn't what it used to be...maybe part of the issue is that he set such a high standard in his prime (and on his recordings). Regardless, it's hard to beat seeing a favorite musician for the first time. A dream come true to see GL at any stage of his career.

Cheers
Old 10-31-2005, 05:26 PM   #20
gordon is magic

Quote:
Originally posted by BILLW:
I think it was Shadows that he did 5 from, probably because they're in his current range and the 'hardcores' in the crowd love them. Just IMO.

Bill
Yeah, Bill, I meant Shadows, from '82.
I have to confess- that is one of the few albums I don't have. Guess I should pick up a copy.
I would think that there are a few more UA tracks that he can handle. Trilogy has some high notes and he nailed them pretty well.

I was in the 5th row, behind you to your left, the fourth seat from the aisle.
Hopefully Gord stays healthy in '06, and we can see another great show.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:26 PM   #21
danceallnighttothe78s

Quote:
Originally posted by BILLW:

Bill
Yeah, Bill, I meant Shadows, from '82.
I have to confess- that is one of the few albums I don't have. Guess I should pick up a copy.
I would think that there are a few more UA tracks that he can handle. Trilogy has some high notes and he nailed them pretty well.

I was in the 5th row, behind you to your left, the fourth seat from the aisle.
Hopefully Gord stays healthy in '06, and we can see another great show.
danceallnighttothe78s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 PM   #22
Tyler

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;TheDude&gt;:
I thought the shouting about it being too low became annoying after the first couple of times. Speaking of the second set, as others have said, it was amazing. He really sounded great (first set was good, second was better). I can't get over how good Beautiful sounded. To me that was the song of the night. Other memorables were Let It Ride, Couchiching, and Pony Man (I never thought I'd hear that one...very cool!).

Cheers
Spoken as a true Lightfoot fan!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 PM   #23
brink

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;TheDude&gt;:
I thought the shouting about it being too low became annoying after the first couple of times. Speaking of the second set, as others have said, it was amazing. He really sounded great (first set was good, second was better). I can't get over how good Beautiful sounded. To me that was the song of the night. Other memorables were Let It Ride, Couchiching, and Pony Man (I never thought I'd hear that one...very cool!).

Cheers
Spoken as a true Lightfoot fan!
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:59 AM   #24
BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Good review!

When that guy was snoring someone should have painted his face.
Good point but he was going 'in and out' pretty quickly like he was mixing tranqs with his beer or something equally clever. He was not really obnoxious but I'm glad he stayed away for the 2nd set, LOL.

Bill
Old 11-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #25
Long River

In AC, during the 2nd set, I was lucky enough to get to hear the song stylings of the drunken idiot behind me. Luckily, he only sang a few notes of the more well known songs.

Please, someone explain to me why a person can't go 2 hours without drinking. At the Keswick in Glenside, it gets so bad with the bar in the back, that even sitting up front, I can hear the people milling about chatting while the singer is performing. Not only is it annoying to the audience but is very rude to the performer. I guess money rules over common courtesy.

Sorry, just venting, things could be worse. I still loved seeing him, hearing him. The great memories far outweigh the bad.
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote