banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default Pub Jam 2014

Dear friends,

Once again we look forward to the Gordon Lightfoot concert series held at Massey Hall in his hometown city, Toronto, Ontario.

Part of that festive event has traditionally included an afternoon (potluck) pub jam held at McVeigh's pub located very close to Massey Hall and the downtown hotel area of Toronto.

See: www.mcveighspub.com.

We have it scheduled for Saturday, Nov 29th, 2PM till 4:30PM. (give or take)

This time we have Wayne Francis joining us on board.

Wayne has lots of cool stuff to share and we very much look forward to his contribution.

See:www.reverbnation.com/waynefrancis.

The mike is open to anyone who, in the Lightfoot vein feels inclined to step up and crank out a tune or two, although they don't necessarily all have to be Gord tunes. It's the way you feel.

For the folks traveling by air landing at Pearson Airport, ground transportation from the airport is a available at a very reasonable fare to the downtown centre and elsewhere. Visit: www.ttc.ca for more information.

If anyone is in need of help in any way please feel free to send me a private email here and we'll work it out.

Your pub jam host,

Ron Jones.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
T.G.

Default Re: Pub Jam 2014

Oh no, a Saturday afternoon, that's going to be harder for me to make than a weekday. Will do my best.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
lighthead2toe

Hey Tony,
Hope you can make it. We've heard you play bass but never heard you sing. Oil up those pipes and come and join us!

Cheers,

RJ.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
lighthead2toe

Just a follow up note to say that my guitars, the Martin D18 six string and Gibson B45 twelve string will available on stage if anyone so wishes.

I was always reluctant to travel especially by air with my instruments but now that I'm living in Gordtown they're pretty much grounded here.

Both guitars have been set by Gord's luthier so the intonation is of the Gord preference.

Looking forward to a fun day and hopefully seeing (and hearing) once again many of the familiar faces who come to attend the "Gordweek" festivities.

Stay Loose,

RJ.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Dan O'Malley

Got my flight and concert ticket for saturday night! shall be there!!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

Looking forward to seeing you Dan. Enjoy the journey.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
Auburn Annie

Passing on Massey this year (sob) for a very good reason: our daughter Rachel and her husband RJ are expecting their first child, a girl, due December 7. As they live 5 hours east of us in Groton CT, and she wants me with her for the delivery I have to be on standby to leave on a moment's notice. In fact I may go right after our Thanksgiving (27th) just to be there. Our first grandchild (Patrick, 2) arived almost 6 weeks early so I'll have my "go " bag packed in a couple of weeks just in case. So far all is well but she's nervous. Fingers crossed, everybody.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
Melissa

Hey, Ron -
So sorry I won't be able to join you this time. I had hoped to make the trip but, as it turns out, cannot do it. Hope the next Massey outing will be sooner than 2 years away, and not during Thanksgiving week! Have a beer and a song for me - I'll be with you in spirit!

Have a blast!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
lighthead2toe

We'll miss you for sure Melissa but we understand that there's no place like home on Thanksgiving.

We'll be sure to dedicate a song to you and of course the pints will be flowing.

Great hearing the news of the grandchild there Annie. They sure are precious and we wish you and family well.

Best,

RJ.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
jj

Ron, i was just thinking it's been 8 years since you guys jammed in the hotel lobby …then 18 months later, the Pub jams began …May 2008? … so is it the 4th Pub Jam? all a blur
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
charlene

In 2001 we had jams in hotel rooms then we had them in meeting rooms a couple of times for 2005 (fund raiser and my 50th) and 2006 also taking over the hotel lobby...
McVeigh PubJams have been in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012.
2014 is the 5th PubJam .
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:15 AM   #12
T.G.

Of course, if anyone has Gord's ear, they can let him know if he's killing time before the evening's show he's welcome to drop in and play a tune or two himself
Old 11-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
T.G.

And if you're not going to the Saturday night show, I'll be at Cafe Chez Helene, 1437 Kingston Road at Warden in Scarborough, doing a program of "Great Songs of the 60s and 70s" from 8 - 10 p.m. A good dose of Lightfoot included. $10 includes a free coffee/tea and pastry.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
T.G.

Well, I have to say I think this year's pub jam was the best yet, despite the late start due to traffic snafus ... all the performers did a terrific job and it was a pleasure to hear all the various renditions of songs both familiar and not-so-much. As always a tip of the hat to RJ for his excellent emceeing job. Hope someone nabbed some photos/audio/video that they can share. I think my girlfriend did some video of my humble set.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G. View Post
As always a tip of the hat to RJ for his excellent emceeing job. Hope someone nabbed some photos/audio/video that they can share. I think my girlfriend did some video of my humble set.
Ron did a terrific job, and i think it was his 5th anniversary event… this is the first time I ate there and it was good, and the company of sharp and witty, Wayne Francis made it the best Massey yet for me (but I missed Melissa and where the heck was Waldo Brinkley? was like a game trying to spot here!) …i hope you got and enjoyed your shirt

TG, did your girlfriend happen to film Wayne singing "Country Singer"? I'm sorry I missed it

You did a terrific job and I hope your night gig went well… here's a bit I got:

https://vimeo.com/113235361
Old 11-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #16
charlene

It was a fabulous Pubjam this year. (Traffic snafu held things up but we pressed on!) A great variety of artists and tunes and packed house enjoyed all of it! I didn't cath any video as my lone battery was low. (I seemed to have lost the other 3 and 2 SD cards - damn!)
Ron pulled it off again and Liam and Myk were his helper elfs once more. Kudos to all involved in giving us an afternoon of entertainment and a chance to sit and enjoy spending time with fans and friends..
I do have pics but I hope Florian fixes the picture posting issue because it's still hit and miss but I never get a picture posted-just a thumbnail...
Old 11-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #17
jj

wow, those cards and batteries are not cheap (even though they are cheaper) and i hope there wasnt anything on them… you deserve to not be filming all the time anyhow … it's such a trade-off in trying to listen or to chatter with folks… Ron keeps the show going so there is not much time in between… it was nice that TG, Marissa and the guest of honour, Wayne Francis were new to the singing core this year… i'd like to hear a setlist because i missed anything prior to Ron singing EMR… i believe they played Never Too Close and Bitter Green and I'll Tag Along also … if there was a photo of Gord and Ron Jones, I'd love to see it!
Old 11-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #18
charlene

yep - probably lost about 250.00 worth of stuff...
Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 AM   #19
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
TG, did your girlfriend happen to film Wayne singing "Country Singer"? I'm sorry I missed it
Unfortunately she didn't get it as the videocam's battery was almost dead. Did anyone snag the young fellow who did Oh, Linda? That was a real showstopper.

Here's the footage we got ...

Old 12-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
charlene

I hope someone caught Brady Corcoran doing Oh Linda too! he's a talented kid.. And Andy Mauck's impersonation of Gord's jokes and chit chat was priceless. All who were onstage were well received and heartily applauded.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #21
T.G.

Yes, the impersonations were a riot! We have to get a hold of those, or perhaps he can record some in the aftermath and put them up.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #22
jj

it's hard to keep quiet when limited chances to talk to Gord fans you only see rarely, but I thought Myk was recording audio and the video I had could be synched up… not this year though… so there was talking by the mic (me too) for the Andy and Brady songs … Andy didnt realize he was surrounded by Lightheads I guess, cos he said the song Brady was about to play was super rare… but we all own Gord's first album, who doesn't? lol

i missed the impersonations with a "well sauced" guy chatting near me (he ended up sitting behind us at Massey and singing LOTS!) but I enjoyed the mini versions of On the High Seas, Spanish Moss, Looking at the Rain, etc… I'm sorry I missed Wayne's tribute song to Gord: the first one I ever heard into mid 90s, other than the early Guess Who one

here is another recent cover of Oh Linda, at the Harbourfront tribute on real standup bass… Brady did a nice job on guitar emulating it on lower strings … impressed how so many up there could sing GL tunes with lyrics engrained in brain!!! bravo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Zp...LBb2Vdn4k1szIA
Old 12-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #23
jj

i heard Andy tell "hare" joke, amidst some chatter but i didnt realize he was going Gord voice and couldn't see mannerisms …i was gonna set up close to front for filming but it took 2.5 hours to drive in and I missed the good video seating and noticed other cameras in action so didnt think much of it … btw, Gord told one joke 2x on Saturday night… end of a long run, what a trooper, as are his core concert goers… cheers to all

I'm looking for any pics of Stinson (with Kenyon, Scott and Gord!) and/or Ron Jones with Gord after the concert… all were heading down, and I'd have liked to join Wayne, but I headed off to my car which was parked in a icky lot, and check on my video gear, keyboard (brought just in case) and T shirt stash …i had thoughts of heading to Delta to see if there was lobby jam like old days …was keeping an eye open for Deb and sorry there was no post show plan … I did enjoy the Pantages lounge though, finally a real piano to be heard! good health all, til 2017!
Old 12-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #24
jj

btw, Wayne Francis (the much valued Lightfoot website creator from PEI) cracked me up most when he finished playing the Wreck and did the Gord line "we'll be back in 20 minutes!" … lol… the kicker was, that night Gord actually finished the Wreck but went into another tune to finish the first set, EMR

it was odd to hear CRT and EMR (both on the Gibson, capo 3rd fret… but well spaced apart) and no SFAWN or Alberta Bound… no Much to My Surprise either as I hadn't heard that live for almost two decades!

enjoyed Christian Island, Minstrel of the Dawn, Couchiching
Old 12-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #25
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
here is another recent cover of Oh Linda, at the Harbourfront tribute on real standup bass… Brady did a nice job on guitar emulating it on lower strings … impressed how so many up there could sing GL tunes with lyrics engrained in brain!!! bravo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Zp...LBb2Vdn4k1szIA
That was a spectacular version at Harborfront with Tom Wilson and the string bass for sure, so glad I was there. I'm not one of those who had the lyrics imprinted in the brain, had to use a book LOL