banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Patti

Default GREENBELT HARVEST FESTIVAL in Dundas,On-Lightfoot steps in for Neil Young-Aug.31,2013

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/stor...est-picic.html
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: cbc news article 8/23/2013

Should be an interesting day at the festival... http://www.harvestpicnic.ca/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
charlene

Default Re: cbc news article 8/23/2013

The Greenbelt Harvest Picnic has traded one Canadian music icon for another. Gordon Lightfoot is taking Neil Young's recently vacated spot in the festival.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...ticle14040351/
What does Daniel Lanois do when Neil Young and Crazy Horse are forced to cancel?
BRAD WHEELER
The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Aug. 30 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Last updated Friday, Aug. 30 2013, 12:36 PM EDT

Can you have a harvest picnic without the Harvest Moon singer? The answer is an unequivocal yes according to the acclaimed producer-musician Daniel Lanois, a participant and co-producer of the Greenbelt Harvest Picnic. Because of an injury to guitarist Frank (Poncho) Sampedro’s hand, Neil Young and Crazy Horse cancelled a number of appearances, including a headlining slot at the annual celebration of music and local farmers in Dundas, Ont. We spoke to Mr. Lanois about the event which still boasts Emmylou Harris, Gordon Lightfoot, Whitehorse and others as featured performers.

I’ll ask the obvious question about Neil Young and Crazy Horse cancelling their appearance at your festival. Why doesn’t Neil just come and play solo?

That’s the natural response and instinct. Why not show up and do something else? People would have been just as happy to hear Neil sing non-Crazy Horse material. I didn’t speak to Neil about this, but I believe it was asked of him. The response from his manager was that his head was not there.

You and Neil have a relationship. He didn’t give you the news personally?

I heard from him about three weeks back. He was excited about coming in. But I guess the injury happened since. The communication since then has just been through an agent.

So, what happens when you get bad news like this?

Well, my thought was to see if we could get someone else to fill that position. Lucky for us, Gordon Lightfoot made himself available. And I can’t say enough about it. What a great guy to help us out so late in the game. I mean, we’re right down to the wire here. But, one great Canadian icon fills in for another. That’s how I’m looking at it.

You two have a history as well, right?

I’ve known Gord for years. He presented me with my lifetime achievement award. I think I have a star on a sidewalk somewhere in Toronto and on the night they presented me with the Walk of Fame award Gord was very sweet. So, that’s a man I have a very high regard for. And not to make any comparisons, but I’m fine with Gord coming in to save the day. Since that confirmation, I’ve been at peace with the whole thing.

Have many people asked for their money back?

I believe J.P [Jean-Paul Gauthier], my partner in this, has offered a partial refund for the cancellation, and that’s very sweet of him. So, that’s we’re at. We get to hear Gordon Lightfoot. How great is that?

I think it would be an affront to Lightfoot if anyone asked for a refund at this point. Who would have the gall?

Hey, I would have paid more to see him [laughs]. But we’ve got Martha Wainwright coming in as well. She’s an old friend. I knew her mother. There is a family aspect to this festival, whether it’s the crowd or whether it’s the musical family. That’s still intact. We feel good about what we’re doing, and we’re rolling up our sleeves to make this a special day.

Speaking of family, is Neal’s wife Pegi Young and her band still playing as planned?

Oh, yes. She’s playing earlier in the afternoon. We’re looking forward to having her. And maybe she knows something that we don’t. Who knows?

Greenbelt Harvest Picnic, Aug. 31, noon. $99.50 (youth aged 11 to 15, $19.50; children 10 and under, free). Christie Lake, Dundas, Ont., 1-855-985-5000 or ticketmaster.com.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
Patti

Default Re: GREENBELT HARVEST FESTIVAL in Dundas,On-Lightfoot steps in for Neil Young-Sept.1-

The only title I had put on this thread was cbc news article, (8/23/13) but someone changed it.

According to the article,

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/stor...est-picic.html

The Greenbelt Harvest Picnic is scheduled for Aug. 31 at the Christie Lake Conservation Area in Dundas.

...happening August 31st, not Sept 1st.

right?
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
charlene

Default Re: GREENBELT HARVEST FESTIVAL in Dundas,On-Lightfoot steps in for Neil Young-Sept.1-

It was yesterday Sat.Aug.31,2013. I changed the heading of the thread so people looking for Greenbelt Harvest Picnic thread would be able to find it with the actual name, not just a date..
Old 09-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
charlene

http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story...t-in-the-room/
Photos at link.Cathie Coward-Hamilton Spectator.
Greenbelt Harvest Picnic bigger than the elephant in the room

Greenbelt Harvest Picnic
It took Gordon Lightfoot, the dean of Canadian songwriters and as close to a living legend as it gets, to knock the elephant off the stage of the third annual Greenbelt Harvest Picnic.

The elephant – as in 'elephant in the room' – was that other living legend, Neil Young, or rather the lack of Neil Young and his band Crazy Horse. Young had cancelled on the Picnic less than two weeks before the daylong festival was scheduled to get underway Saturday at the picturesque Christie Conservation Area in rural Dundas. The Crazy Horse guitarist had injured his hand.

Many hard core Young fans, already frustrated by the fact their musical hero had opted out of what appeared to be a dream line up, became enraged when Picnic organizers offered only a $40 refund on the $139.50 ticket cost and replaced Young with the iconic Lightfoot and the lesser-known Martha Wainwright.

False rumours, fueled by the presence of Young's wife Pegi in the Picnic lineup, persisted throughout the park, even into Saturday evening, that Neil would make a surprise visit. It didn't happen, never was in the cards.

Instead, on Saturday, the 10,000 Picnic goers got Lightfoot. Normally a bucket-list item for any lover of Canadian music, Lightfoot was stepping into potentially hostile terrain. Let's face it, at 74, his voice doesn't even come close to what it was in its heyday. And Lightfoot's understated delivery is light years away from the fiery garage guitar jams currently being served up by Crazy Horse.

So there was some apprehension with the great man took the stage, dressed to the part, red tunic and long-grey hair, combed straight back. Would the Young fans boo? Heckle, even?

No. They greeted Lightfoot with the respect he deserves. He started off on shaky ground, his voice brittle and worn on the openers Watchman's Gone and Waiting For You. He caught stride, however, with a smooth rendition of his biggest hit, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and carried the new-found strength into Painter Passing Through, In My Fashion and If You Could Read My Mind.

By then, Lightfoot felt ready to face down the elephant. He did it with a dry wit and a lot of panache.

"I would like to thank Mr. Lanois and Mr. Young for inviting us on this show," he humbly told the crowd from the stage. "Thank you very much for having us."

By "Mr. Lanois," he meant Daniel Lanois, the Ancaster-raised uber-producer/musician who is one of the hosts of the Harvest Picnic. He had a lot to do with inviting Lightfoot to the show. All "Mr. Young" did was create the opening.

The elephant didn't turn out so big after all. Lightfoot finished his set with a soulful version of Early Morning Rain and the crowd called the veteran troubadour back for an encore, You're Beautiful.

It didn't satisfy all those angry Neil Young fans. Early in the day, one woman heckled Lanois, demanding he "come clean" and provide a full refund. She was quickly shouted down by those in the crowd around her.

Through the course of the day, many came to realize that the Harvest Picnic is bigger than one act, even one as iconic as Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

"Sure I was angry when Neil Young cancelled, especially when Ticketmaster sent me my $40 refund," said long-time Crazy Horse fan John German, of Burlington. "But now that I'm here, it seems like most people came for the Greenbelt Harvest Picnic. And it's great. There's a lot of good music happening."

There was good music, indeed, more than 12 hours of it and much of it from Hamilton. Harlan Pepper, four young folk-rockers from Westdale, opened the show, impressing the early arrivals with a rootsy edge to their still-developing sound. Helping to close the show was Hamilton veteran bluesman Harrison Kennedy who joined Lanois and guitarist Brian Griffith for a lively rendition of Give Me Just A Little More Time, a Motown-flavoured hit he had with The Chairmen Of The Board back in 1970.

The late-afternoon set by Hamilton-based duo, Whitehorse, raised the bar by several notches with the husband-and-wife team of Melissa McClelland and Luke Doucet managing to produce enough sound to power a locomotive. Whitehorse was followed by a steamy session from Brooklyn-based songstress Trixie Whitley. Hamilton pop rockers, the Arkells, then provided a high-energy dinner-hour show that proved they can go toe-to-toe with any band in the country (well, maybe not Rush … or the Hip).

We also got Lanois, an extraordinary guitarist who thrashed it out Crazy Horse-style for some two hours at the end of the evening as well as dueting with Whitley, Bulat and country queen Emmylou Harris. The a cappella version of Calling My Children Home that Harris and Lanois pulled off with the help of Jimmy Waters and Malcolm Burn was superb.

Even Premier Kathleen Wynne dropped by to thank the crowd for honouring the farmers and the wildlife of The Greenbelt.

"Thank you, everyone, for being here, a terrific turnout and a wonderful event," the premier said before flubbing the introductions to two afternoon acts ("Borgia Boulet" instead of Basia Bulat, and "Dan & Marra" instead of Dawn & Marra).

Sixteen acts on two stages over more than 12 hours, as well as plenty of quality food and drink, all served up in a rural setting with swimming, fishing and canoeing.

Sure, Young's cancellation and the subsequent furor over the lack of full refunds, bloodied the reputation of the Greenbelt Harvest Picnic after two straight years of near perfection.

At the same time, it proved that the festival itself might be bigger than any elephant in the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B821371546Z.1_20130901131450_000_GM612DL9B.2_Content.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6234   Click image for larger version

Name:	B821373912Z.1_20130901132544_000_GM612DL9J.2_Content.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	6235  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
charlene

RIck pic:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1235050_169768859873053_1226688286_n[1].jpg
Views:	461
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	6236  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
niffer

Kudos to Gordon for stepping up and stepping into a potentially ugly situation, and to the crowd for recognizing it and responding with respect and appreciation.

"A dry wit and a lot of panache"...that's our boy
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
MiltonGLFan

My pics from last night, Great Show from the guys
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030540.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	6237   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030562.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	6238   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030580.JPG
Views:	468
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	6239   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030583.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	6240  
MiltonGLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
T.G.

Nice to see he brought his full band.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
charlene

Did you get a setlist Todd??
Old 09-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
charlene

Old 09-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
charlene

Old 09-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
charlene

Old 09-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
charlene

Old 09-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
MiltonGLFan

Set list that I had,

1 -The Watchman's Gone
2 -Waiting for You
3 -Race Among The Ruins (added by Char as per Mike H.)
4 -I'd Rather Press On
5 -The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald
6 -A Painter Passing Through
7 -In My Fashion
8 -If You Could Read My Mind
9 -Carefree Highway
10-Cotton Jenny
11-Ribbon of Darkness
12-Sundown
13-Early Morning Rain
ENCORE - (We were coming back anyways...ahahahah)
14-Beautiful
MiltonGLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
charlene

Default Re: GREENBELT HARVEST FESTIVAL in Dundas,On-Lightfoot steps in for Neil Young-Aug.31,

Greenbelt Harvest Picnic - Aug.31,2013
Old 09-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
charlene

Default Re: GREENBELT HARVEST FESTIVAL in Dundas,On-Lightfoot steps in for Neil Young-Aug.31,

wrong date on video -
Old 09-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
charlene

another of Cotton Jenny -
Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
charlene

Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
charlene

Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
charlene

Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
charlene

Old 09-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
charlene

Old 04-04-2014, 01:34 AM   #25
T.G.

T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote