banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
ellen

Default Fayetteville, NC setlist

The concert started on time, as usual, for an appreciative house that looked to be about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Crown Center is huge.

Sweet Guenevere
Watchman
All the Lovely Ladies
I'd Rather Press On
Let It Ride
Wild Strawberries
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Beautiful
Waiting for You
Carefree Highway
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
Cotton Jenny

Intermission

Drink Yer Glasses Empty
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Never Too Close
Don Quixote
Make Way for the Lady
In My Fashion
A Painter Passing Through
If You Could Read My Mind
Restless
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain

Encores - Song For A Winter's Night
Cold on the Shoulder

The band was excellent as always. I last heard them when Carter had just joined them, and it's easy to see he has settled in well. It's such a pleasure for me to watch the unspoken communication between them all. They are such a wonderfully disciplined ensemble. The crowd was friendly, very appreciative, and gave a standing ovation to IYCRMM as well as at the end. At the beginning of the second set, Gordon and Mike alone came out to perform Drink Yer Glasses Empty, and it was really lovely.

It may be just me, but I felt that In my Fashion and Painter are more bittersweet now. One of the reviews referred to Mr Lightfoot's appearance as frail, but I rather think of it as refined; he is distilled down to the essence of the man. He was in better voice for the second set than the first, but that is what I've seen over the past few years. He skipped the jokes this time, but told a few anecdotes, referring to the inspiration for Waiting For You & Baby Step Back, and speaking of just bringing I'd Rather Press On back into rotation. The crowd would have had him play all night, but he just returned for a second bow, and was gone.
ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
JimJ

Default Re: Fayetteville, NC setlist

Completely agree, Ellen. I was disappointed in the size of the crowd, and wish the show had been booked in Raleigh, Winston-Salem or Greensboro, all of which have been good towns for Lightfoot in the past.
I also didn't think he looked "frail" at all. In fact, I'd say for a guy who's about to turn 74 he's got a pretty good bounce in his step. Agree with you on the voice, but it seemed to me it was stronger throughout than a year ago, and I thought the "new old" songs in the sets were great. There was one in there I'd never heard, and I've been following him since I was 15 (and I'm 60). I'm going to look at your list again and figure it out.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
ellen

Hi Jim!

I'm thinking Mr. Lightfoot should come to Durham! I've travelled so many places to see him, so, selfishly, I wish he'd come to my town. The beautiful Carolina Theatre would be an excellent venue for him, and the folk shows usually do sell out, and DPAC is an outstanding venue. The show in Asheville a few years ago was quite well-attended, too.

I was just re-reading your editorial from last year. I'm quite sure we must have attended some of the same concerts over the years. The year the album containing Nous Vivons Ensemble came out I convinced our French teacher that we should learn the lyrics and attend the concert at Wake Forest University. Playing Lightfoot over & over in French class + live concert - WIN. It was quite the thrill! A few years later I had the pleasure of hearing him at Carolina.

And yes, I shall be happy to pay to hear him whisper.
ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
charlene

He may look frail/thin to some folks but he practically vibrates with energy.
I agree about Painter and In My Fashion. They've been leaving me a bit teary at times over the last few years. Especially @ Massey when it's 'family night.'
thanks for the reports and setlist!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
JimJ

Yes, Ellen, I agree. Man, would he be great in the DPAC! Wow. Thanks for re-reading the column. And I've seen him at Wake Forest two or three times and in Stevens Center in Winston, so I'm sure we've shared the same concerts.
I've got Massey Hall on the bucket list. Would be great to see you, Char, and some of the other regulars. I've done the backstage dinner deal years ago, which was cool, and came about because George Hamilton IV is an old friend and a long-ago fan of Gord's (not telling you folks anything you don't know, but he recorded an album of Lightfoot songs well before many people in the States were familiar with him). So it's kinda cool now to just be in the audience and enjoying. And let me re-reiterate, Char, my agreement that he's not "frail" by any means. The guy's made of iron.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Bill

Last saw him in Raleigh with front row side balcony seats...fabulous! Ruled out Fayetteville due to distance from Lynchburg, VA. But we run down to Durham all the time. Alas, I have sworn off Wolftrap shows (for anyone) since that dreadfully hot sweat soaked Lightfoot concert several years ago. Pains me he played western Kentucky...my home turf! And Texas dates around where I used to live!

I cringe when his voice goes to a whisper. He still tries to drive it like a pop singer. We can't tell him or make him adapt...someday he will hang it up on his own terms. I like seeing folks like Kristofferson who has stripped it down to a solo show (not that I'd ever want to lose the band!) just the low key nature Kris brings to it now as a storyteller.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote