banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
charlene

Default John Prine,Gordon,Jim Cuddy,bio author-N.Jennings-house concert-DEATH of Prine-Apr/20

John Prine doing a house concert in Toronto - House of Strombo - Brad Wheeler - (Globe & Mail) , tweets - ''Just caught John Prine at the House of Strombo. Gord Lightfoot in the crowd. Jim Cuddy only the third best songwriter in the room.''

Nicholas Jennings (LIGHTFOOT bio author) - ''John Prine singing “Far From Me” directly to Gordon Lightfoot (his favourite Prine song) at the House of Strombo. Magic.'' andMeanwhile in Toronto - John Prine doing a house concert in Toronto - @House of Strombo - and ''Everyone in the House getting to play kazoo with Prine on “When I Get to Heaven” was incredibly special too. Thanks Strombo!''
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Re: John Prine, Gordon Lightfoot & Jim Cuddy...house concert

Everyone has a mobile device and no photos?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
charlene

lol... it was a 'no photo' event apparently...
Old 12-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
charlene

working on it...
Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
charlene

john prine-g.l.-dec.10-2018-house of strombo-alixtag instagram photo by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 12-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
imported_Next_Saturday

Awesome Char. Two of the greats!
Old 12-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
charlene

Matt Sauls on TWITTER:
Somehow found myself sitting next to Gordon Lightfoot in @strombo's living room yesterday, watching John Prine (!) play a set for 40-50 people. I'm so incredibly grateful for that beautiful moment, words can't describe. Thank you all!
john prine-house of strombo-g.l.matt sauls photo by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 12-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #8
charlene

prine-lightfoot-b.wheeler pic. by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 12-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #9
charlene

DugQqcMV4AIn4TT by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 12-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
charlene

John Prine-Strombo-Dec.2018 by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 12-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #11
charlene

John Prine-Strombo-Dec.2018 by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 12-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #12
charlene

Listening to the radio show now... 1971 - Riverboat - first time Prine played there and his ''songwriting hero'' was sitting at the front table with 3 girls... Strombo asked, "Do you remember it like that Gord?" Gord said, ''yes!".. After the show Gordon was out in the middle of Yonge St. with Prine singing the chorus of Prine's "Far From Me", Gordon's favourite Prine tune..
Old 12-17-2018, 12:05 AM   #13
charlene

and coming soon to YOUTUBE - the whole thing!!
Old 12-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
charlene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rk...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rkm...e=youtu.beJohn

Prine, “Crazy Bone (Strombo Sessions)”
John Prine, “Far From Me (Strombo Sessions)”
John Prine, “Speed Of Sound And Loneliness (Strombo Sessions)”
John Prine, “Sam Stone (Strombo Sessions)”
John Prine, “Summer’s End (Strombo Sessions)”
John Prine, “Ramblin Fever (Merle Haggard Cover) (Strombo Sessions)”
John Prine, “Christmas In Prison (Strombo Sessions)”
John Prine, “When I Get To Heaven (Strombo Sessions)”
Old 12-19-2018, 11:35 PM   #15
charlene

VIDEO of the night.. great shots of Gordon, Kim and Meredith....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rkm...ature=youtu.be
https://youtu.be/w5Rkm_dqm7A
Old 12-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #16
charlene

Songwriter John Prine floors one Lightfoot, impresses another.
B.Wheeler.Globe and Mail. Dec.14,2018.

Link below text.

Last week at an exclusive house concert recorded for George Stroumboulopoulos’s show on CBC Music, a fan of the songwriter John Prine passed out during the performance. We can call it faint praise for Prine, but not the damning kind. In fact, quite the opposite.

Prine, 72, performed eight songs at Stroumboulopoulos’s downtown Toronto home, where 100 or so fans and well-known musicians squeezed into a living room and kitchen for a midday serenading taped for a Dec. 16 broadcast. Jim Cuddy was there as a VIP guest, but the Blue Rodeo star was only the third-best songwriter in the room, because Gordon Lightfoot was in attendance as well.

As was Hamilton folk-rocker Terra Lightfoot (no relation to the Sundown icon). Suffering from a cold, she had knocked back some over-the-counter medication to suppress the symptoms. Apparently the remedy was past its expiry date. Soon after swallowing a dose, Lightfoot felt “a little weird.” Later, as Prine sang his 1971 song Sam Stone, she sank like a rock in the sea, hitting the floor, briefly unconscious.

“My vision blurred, and everything just went black,” she later told The Globe and Mail. “When I came to, people were saying my name. Just like in the movies.”

Waiting for the song to finish, a recovered Lightfoot discreetly left the room, not willing to risk any possible distraction.

Because the collapse happened behind Prine, the revered American songster hadn’t realized anything was amiss. Later, though, after being informed of the incident, he took Lightfoot’s brief wooziness as a compliment. “I heard we made a girl faint,” he good-naturedly told Stroumboulopoulos. “We haven’t done that in 30 years.”

Twenty years ago, Prine was diagnosed with cancer on the right side of his neck. Though he recovered, the successful surgery left him with a gravelly voice. Unhampered, he continues to record and perform. Prine was in Toronto for a concert at Sony Centre in support of The Tree of Forgiveness, his first album of original material in more than a dozen years.

Before The Strombo Show taping, Prine privately met with the other Lightfoot, Gordon, in the basement of Stroumboulopoulos’s comfortable (but by no means grandiose) home. The two talked songwriting and recalled a beery night together in Toronto back in the 1970s.

“It was kind of like being in a museum and watching Mona Lisa talk to the statue of David," Stroumboulopoulos told The Globe, about witnessing the two songwriters casually chat. “I think sometimes Canadians, particularly young Canadians, forget just how big a deal Gordon Lightfoot is.”

Prine forgets nothing of the sort. During the taping, with his old friend sitting a few feet away, Prine told a story about first meeting Lightfoot at the old Riverboat folk club, where Prine gave a string of concerts in 1971. “The second night I was there, my songwriting hero came, Gordon Lightfoot,” Prine recalled. “Sitting down at the front table there, right in front of me. It was intimidating as hell, you know?”

One can imagine. But, then, one didn’t really need to imagine anything, because there was the 80-year-old Lightfoot sitting again at Prine’s feet, this time in Stroumboulopoulos’s living room instead of the Riverboat. In recognition of the occasion, Prine played Far From Me, a breakup song and apparently Lightfoot’s favourite Prine composition.

Later, when Prine sang Sam Stone, as sad a song as has ever been written, you could have heard a pin drop. Or a Lightfoot drop. Luckily there was a spare.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...esses-another/
Old 12-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #17
imported_Next_Saturday

That was all great--thanks for posting Char. Makes me wonder if Lightfoot might consider a Prine cover to fill out the new album? Perhaps "Far from Me".

Last edited by imported_Next_Saturday; 12-21-2018 at 04:52 PM.
imported_Next_Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #18
jj

great photos, char! thanks for sharing... I did not recognize George
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #19
Steve

Just stumbled on the video. What a hoot! So, I logged on to corfid for the first time in a very long time. Knew it would be discussed here. If anybody remembers me, "Hi". I'm now living in Fort Collins, CO and loving it. Craft beer capital of the world!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #20
charlene

Hi Steve- glad you could log in.. some folks are having problems logging in and/or registering. And Florian is nowhere to be found! This house concert is so epic. I love Prine and having him once again stand in front of his songwriting hero at this stage of their lives, both survivors of serious medical issues and watch Gordon in all of his beautiful quiet humility accept the praise (humble and humility combined) gets to my heart every time I watch it..
Old 01-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #21
Steve

I really didn't know Prine until a Lightfoot weekend at Melissa's in Cedar Park, TX. They started doing Prine songs and I was very impressed. Have been a fan every since. Melissa got us access to the PBS studio in Austin and we recorded some songs on the Austin City Limits stage. What a great weekend it was!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:09 AM   #22
Melissa

Wow, Hi, Steve! It's been a long time! Hard to believe that gathering was 15 years ago, back at the old house that was actually IN Austin.....before we moved out here to the burbs. Back then, I didn't know much Prine either - just the few tunes I'd heard on the radio many years ago - Illegal Smile, Dear Abby. Plus, I'd heard John Denver do several - Paradise, Angel from Montgomery, Blow Up Your TV. But it was our buddy, Ed, who got our little group really going into the Prine tunes. I've seen Prine in concert 6 or 7 times now, and he still does an awesome show. I would have given a lot to have been at that little house concert in TO. I still can't get over seeing Gord sitting there with closed eyes, mouthing the lyrics to "Far From Me." That's been my favorite Prine tune for a long time, and now it's even more special.
Glad you're getting along well up in Colorado, Steve!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #23
charlene

https://wordpress.com/read/blogs/434...sts/1203134509

Sony Pictures Classics has acquired all rights worldwide to the John Prine documentary tentatively titled “John Prine: Hello in There,” which is in post-production. SPC is planning a theatrical release.

The film tells the story of the singer/songwriter who has “notoriously been very mysterious to much of the public,” SPC said. Prine broke through with an album he wrote as a mailman in the Chicago suburbs, and went on “to create some of the strangest, funniest, most surreal and most enduring songs of our time.”

The moviemakers began filming Prine as he prepared to release his first album of new songs in 13 years, and follows him throughout a resurgence that has taken him from Radio City Music Hall to the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

The film, made with the support of Prine’s family, includes interviews with his friends and peers, including young songwriters he helped shape, such as Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell and Margo Price.

The film was co-written by Zachary Fuhrer and Patrick Doyle, produced by Doyle and directed by Fuhrer. RadicalMedia is a production partner on the film.

“Spending time with John Prine over the last year, we’ve learned that he is just as insightful — and hilarious — in everyday life as he is in his songs… There is nobody better at spellbinding a room,” Doyle said. “For the last 50 years, he’s been a voice for the overworked, underpaid and forgotten, and our current political times have made his songs even more relevant.”

Fuhrer added: “As John’s band members like to say, ‘There are two types of people: those who love John Prine and those who haven’t heard of him yet.’ John’s philosophy on life — finding comedy in tragedy — is the heart of the film; his stories are a daily reminder that there’s always a way to laugh at your own misfortune.”
Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #24
charlene

Gordon has a message for fellow Songwriters Hall of Fame member John Prine. https://www.facebook.com/JohnPrine/v...1870628790622/
Old 03-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #25
charlene

Default TOm Rush and John Prine-covid

Both have covid - 19.

John was hospitalized on the 26th and intubated on the 28th. his situation is critical.