banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
imported_Next_Saturday

I'm afraid to ask this but being new here I have a question thats been eating at me for over 20 years, I'm sure its been ask before and hope I don't get too beat up over it. Here it is, Harry Tracy, "My Love for You", WHY has it never been put on an album, insert audible moan here...
Old 09-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
JC Bama

I'm afraid to ask this but being new here I have a question thats been eating at me for over 20 years, I'm sure its been ask before and hope I don't get too beat up over it. Here it is, Harry Tracy, "My Love for You", WHY has it never been put on an album, insert audible moan here...
JC Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

Hi JC Bama, and Welcome to Corfid. I dont know why, he never chose to have it on one of his CD's.

I often ask myself that question also. Did you know JC, that Gord did not write that song? It was written by Les Pouliot, of the Tommy Hunter Show.

Maybe that's one reason, or because the movie was a flop? Or Gord never wanted it on his recordings, who knows? It's a beautiful song, and Gordon did a great job on it, in the movie.

There's also, Michael Douglas debut movie, "Hail Hero," which Gord, wrote and sang the title track, and at the end they play, the song, "Did She Mention My Name?" from the recording he did of that one. "Hail Hero," is not on CD, as far as I know either. And then there are others.

That's the only answer I can give you about it. Im sure someone will know more, as too why it was never released as a recording on one of his CD's.

Another one that comes to mind, "The Ghost Of Cape Horn." That one is on his CD, "Dream Street Rose." But the movie that it was written for, never made it big.

A good question JC. Check here, for more answers, later on, maybe someone will have the reason why, it's not on CD. ~Jesse.~

[ September 05, 2006, 04:38: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
Jesse Joe

Hi JC Bama, and Welcome to Corfid. I dont know why, he never chose to have it on one of his CD's.

I often ask myself that question also. Did you know JC, that Gord did not write that song? It was written by Les Pouliot, of the Tommy Hunter Show.

Maybe that's one reason, or because the movie was a flop? Or Gord never wanted it on his recordings, who knows? It's a beautiful song, and Gordon did a great job on it, in the movie.

There's also, Michael Douglas debut movie, "Hail Hero," which Gord, wrote and sang the title track, and at the end they play, the song, "Did She Mention My Name?" from the recording he did of that one. "Hail Hero," is not on CD, as far as I know either. And then there are others.

That's the only answer I can give you about it. Im sure someone will know more, as too why it was never released as a recording on one of his CD's.

Another one that comes to mind, "The Ghost Of Cape Horn." That one is on his CD, "Dream Street Rose." But the movie that it was written for, never made it big.

A good question JC. Check here, for more answers, later on, maybe someone will have the reason why, it's not on CD. ~Jesse.~

[ September 05, 2006, 04:38: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
New 12 String Mike

One thing about "Ghosts of Cape Horn."

That was written for a documentary about old shipwrecks along the eastern coast of South America. Ships that had not made it 'round the Horn. The film was never intended to make it big at all.

Sadly, most of the wrecks featured in the film were destroyed during the Falklands War.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Borderstone

JC Bama,hey that's what being a newer member is all about. We know but you don't,so answering is no biggie!

As most here know,"My Love For You" is one of my top 10 favorites by GL. The reason you find it on no old LP's,tapes or CD's anywhere,is that here in the US,the picture went virtually unnoticed and also that this is the only song in the movie.

Instrumental soundtracks from films rarely do well,even with one really good song. Since it's mostly a flop here in the US,Warner Brothers would have no reason to release it. I believe he won an award in Canada for the song though.

If you love the song that much,if you dont have the movie,get it,and just listgen to it as the end credits roll. That's what I do.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:40 AM   #7
Janice

I understand why a soundtrack was never recorded, Borderstone, but that doesn't really explain why he never recorded it on one of his albums
Old 09-06-2006, 01:41 AM   #8
Janice

BTW, welcome, JC!!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:14 AM   #9
RM

This is pure speculation on my part.....

Perhaps there was never any room for it. "Shadows" came out the next year, followed by "Salute", etc.

The only place I can see it would have been on "Songbook", replacing "Canary Yellow Canoe".
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Can "My Love For You" be downloaded off Limewire? I've never heard the song, so I might try finding it later. Thanks.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote