banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
catrinka

Default Lightfoot Newsletter info

For the newer members of this forum (and as a reminder for the long-time members), this post is about the Gordon Lightfoot site written and maintained by one of the Senior Members, Val Magee:

www.gordonlightfoot.com

If you want to know the latest information about Gord, this is a great place to go! Be it concert tour dates, ticket prices, reviews, interviews, sheet music or lyrics...you can probably find it here.

One way to be kept up-to-date is to sign up for her newsletter:

http://gordonlightfoot.com/Home.asp#mailinglist

In addition to extensive information about all things Lightfoot, the site has information about a number of other folk artists. Val also has Amazon store sites (for the US, Canada, UK and France) where you can purchase those hard-to-find CD/DVDs.

I know this sounds like a commercial plug...it's not (although it would be nice if folks supported one of "our own"!)

Enjoy!

catrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee
Default Re: Lightfoot Newsletter info

Thank you Cathy!
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
catrinka

My pleasure, Val! Hope you get some new subscribers!!

catrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Jesse Joe

I am very pleased to support Val's Site, and I am a subscriber. Valerie is a good Lightfoot fan & more.

Continued success with your wonderful work on, www.gordonlightfoot.com

I encourage any newbie to go visit it...

~Jesse Joe~
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
vlmagee

Thanks to you too Jesse Joe. I have noticed that you mention my site from time to time, and it is very much appreciated! Brings a smile to my face every time!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Jesse Joe

It is a great Site otherwise I would never talk about it... Your most very welcome Valerie, and if it brings a smile to you every time, then I too have a smile on my face.

But that Martin D-18 GL Signature, that would really make me smile, like a kid on Christmas morning.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
vlmagee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
But that Martin D-18 GL Signature, that would really make me smile, like a kid on Christmas morning.
Well come to Toronto on May 9th or 10th and you can play it!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinka View Post
For the newer members of this forum (and as a reminder for the long-time members), this post is about the Gordon Lightfoot site written and maintained by one of the Senior Members, Val Magee:

www.gordonlightfoot.com

If you want to know the latest information about Gord, this is a great place to go! Be it concert tour dates, ticket prices, reviews, interviews, sheet music or lyrics...you can probably find it here.

One way to be kept up-to-date is to sign up for her newsletter:

http://gordonlightfoot.com/Home.asp#mailinglist

In addition to extensive information about all things Lightfoot, the site has information about a number of other folk artists. Val also has Amazon store sites (for the US, Canada, UK and France) where you can purchase those hard-to-find CD/DVDs.

I know this sounds like a commercial plug...it's not (although it would be nice if folks supported one of "our own"!)

Enjoy!
A very comprehensive web site and a gift for any Gordon Lightfoot fan. I have benefited greatly from the information provided there. I'm especially thankful for the technical information that Val has provided. Hopefully we'll have an opportunity during the Massey festivities to hear a tune or two on that fabulous D18 Val. Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
Well come to Toronto on May 9th or 10th and you can play it!
So you are bringing it to Toronto, Cathy Cowett always said you would not let her play it, maybe she was only joking ?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
A very comprehensive web site and a gift for any Gordon Lightfoot fan. I have benefited greatly from the information provided there. I'm especially thankful for the technical information that Val has provided. Hopefully we'll have an opportunity during the Massey festivities to hear a tune or two on that fabulous D18 Val. Ron J.

Your so right Ron when you say Val's Site is a gift for any Gordon Lightfoot fan.

I also go on Wayne's Site from time to time.

Valerie since we are on the subject, one place that I visit a lot on your Site is where every Lightfoot songs on his Albums are written.

http://www.gordonlightfoot.com/songs.shtml

But the Harmony songs are not. Will they be in the future ?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
vlmagee

Quote:

Valerie since we are on the subject, one place that I visit a lot on your Site is where every Lightfoot songs on his Albums are written.

http://www.gordonlightfoot.com/songs.shtml

But the Harmony songs are not. Will they be in the future ?
As soon as some kind soul sends me the lyrics to the songs (smile, please). Although I did some myself, most were done by other kind contributors, as credited on the main album page, "Thanks to Cathy Cowette, Sean Gaynor, Ed Mullen and Lisa Westbrook for help with lyrics files."
Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
vlmagee

Quote:
So you are bringing it to Toronto, Cathy Cowett always said you would not let her play it, maybe she was only joking ?
She was joking, although - like most folks with a special guitar - I was nervous about it at first. Doesn't every guitar player obsess over that first tiny ding?

I remember asking somebody (not Cathy) to remove her dangling bracelet before playing it! And I probably will do a quick blood alcohol "assessment" before handing it over! I don't want to see a full glass of beer poured over it, even today ...
Old 04-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #13
vlmagee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Hopefully we'll have an opportunity during the Massey festivities to hear a tune or two on that fabulous D18 Val. Ron J.
You may have an opportunity to hear a tune or two on the D-18GL, Ron, but only if you play it! I still don't play (it's been more than a year since I even tried).
Old 04-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #14
Jesse Joe

You may have an opportunity to hear a tune or two on the D-18GL, Ron, but only if you play it! I still don't play (it's been more than a year since I even tried).

That is too bad. To own such a jewel, and not play it... But I do agree tho that every guitar player is obsess over that first tiny ding. I am anyway, I myself dont like to lend my guitars without being a bit concern.

Maybe Willie Nelson is not like us.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #15
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinka View Post

agree, this is a nice post and should not be perceived as a plug but instead info sharing

I was just reading that's it's the most referenced GL site on the internet so no shortage of support by we long-time gratefuls but especially glad you posted about the possibly overlooked music ordering service and the folk newsletter, it's packed with wonderful stuff!

internet newcomers looking for info on Gord or any other person should get into the habit or typing in the name they are looking for and then add .com ....eg) johndoe.com ...another way is to type their name into a search engine and then click away as time permits

and if one's too lazy to type all that, Val also has also added helpful direct links to this and other sites following many posts...tips and links such as hers is how I came across dr. jack

hopefully not to digress, but another tip: newcomers may also not be aware of the interesting posts that Val and others have contributed to the newsgroup over the years - fascinating stuff, my only question is in the Corfid links section, why does that link not take me to the site but instead gives me an e-mail pop up? anyhow, as time permits, search away the timelss corfid and ng archives for other hidden gems (use contributor keywords such as magee, mullen, fowles, kidd, harrison, carle, francis, etc, etc, in no particular order) - enjoy ...looking forward to Val's next issue

ps) I notice there are countless random threads re great links (as well as youtube vids), how about an extended corfid links section which has Val's and other terrific folk links such as woodsongs, folkalley, etc, etc? the folks who quietly put these together are our real heros!
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
ps) I notice there are countless random threads re great links (as well as youtube vids), how about an extended corfid links section which has Val's and other terrific folk links such as woodsongs, folkalley, etc, etc? the folks who quietly put these together are our real heroes!
On Corfid's home page there is a section for links and Val's site is on there with a hyperlink.

Val, Corfid isn't listed anywhere on your site - maybe a link there so fans can find us here also?
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #17
lighthead2toe

[QUOTE=vlmagee;137608]You may have an opportunity to hear a tune or two on the D-18GL, Ron, but only if you play it! I still don't play (it's been more than a year since I even tried).[/QUOTE
I am very honored and also very excited that you would extend that offer Val. Wow, a real Gordon Lightfoot D18 Martin guitar coming into my hands. A thrill to look forward to for sure It sure is gearing up to be a real fun week in Toronto. I promise you my hands will be squeaky clean, fingernails filed down to the smoothest texture and no clothing or jewelry that would risk any hint of a scratch. I can hear it now ~~"If you could read my mind love"~~ la la la la la...... RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote