banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
podmed

Default My Gibson 12

Here is the story. When I was younger I was playing guitar & singing on The Riverboat in Orlando - at Lake Buena Vista. I was probably 16. I was playing folk-style music - and at that time (1984?) - it was UNUSUAL to see someone my age doing so. ANYWAYS, during one of my breaks, up comes Gordon! He introduced himself and I flipped out! He told me he liked what I was doing, and it was so nice to see "young people" playing "real music". He also talked about his Riverboat Days and how he thought no-one was ever listening to what he was singing. He also commented on my guitar, which was the exact Gibson he played - the 12-string (pictured on Sundown - but his has a sunburst finish). I remember he and my brother started talking the rest of the night when I got back onstage, and my brother told me about his "girl in Miami" - a-la "Morning Glory - I've Been All the Way to Biscayne Bay..." At the next break (at that time the Musicians Union called for a break every 45 minutes) Gord and my brother came over and he finally signed my Gibson pictured below. Since then, I have been enamored by his songwriting and musicianship - and became the Lightfoot Fan I am! PS - My son's middle name is Lightfoot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2948.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	2397  
podmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
DawnsMinstrel

Default Re: My Gibson 12

I am in awe.
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
podunklander

A beautiful guitar, pod and thanks for the great story!!! Amazing -what a thrill that was huh and quite an inspiration for someone your age then. A nice memory to have and thanks for sharing! I like your son's middle name!

Pam
Old 12-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
charlene

fabulous story!!..does your son (if he's old enuf) play or sing Lightfoot stuff? Was Gord on tour at the time you met him? he was performing in orlando in oct.1983..
www.lightfoot.ca has tour dates listed for years back to 1974..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
podmed

Thanks for the kind messages. I was 16 at the time yes - SIXTEEN. I lied about my age to Disney - but I remember those days well. I was even on StarSearch back then - but Folk Music wasn't what agents were looking for - not another Bob Dylan or John Denver - or GL. I finally got into a "Boy Band" playing lead guitar, but they wanted me to leave school and Mother would never have a "son like mine leaving High School." In any event, I kept on with the music and got to meet lots of cool people. My son is only 4 years old, but he will love his middle name! My daughter did not get a unique middle name - not really fond of Streisand or Tori Amos enough to name my child after them!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
bjm7777

Cool story. That big B45-12 of yours is a beauty, and it certainly must have been a great moment to have The Bard himself sign it. I have had a lot of trouble trying to find a Gibson B45-12 for myself - used of course - but have had to settle on a Guild.
Anyway, very nice story...
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
podmed

The Gibson plays like a House. In my opinion, my Guild 12, Ovation 12, or Taylor 12 is a much Finer guitar. Soooooo much easier to play. I have an Electric Rick 12, and it is nowhere near what the Paul Reed Smith 12 is. And again, it all depends on what you are used to playing. When you are onstage trying to "quick tune" (2) D or G strings, you can go a little nuts.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
lighthead2toe

Very nice story pomed and thanks for sharing. It's always exciting reading these posts about fans and their instruments and I'm a big Gibson B45 fan.

It's interesting that these guitars were built some with 20 and some with 22 frets.

I have one of each and love the sound of both equally. It's also interesting that the mother of pearl inlay in the headstock is missing from my 20 fret one but the 22 has it included.

Certainly doesn't affect the sound though. They still ring like a symphony.

Cheers, Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
podmed

I love playing the 12-strings - all of them. When I start playing "Trilogy" I get the butterflys in my stomach.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
lighthead2toe

My sentiments exactly podmed. There's just something magical in the effect that those instruments produce when played that alerts the senses and seems to trigger a host of good vibes. It really is a wonderful feeling.
Today is a good guitar day for me and my favorite source of getting as much as I can out of these type of days is putting on the CD from the "United Artists" three CD package and there on "disc # 1, tracks 24 and 25 are "Song For A winter's Night and "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" consecutively.
I love the "drop D" tuning so for "Song For A Winter's" night I put the capo (Schubb) on the seventh fret of six string Martin D18 and play along in the "D" position.
My friend in Toronto and student of Red Shea, Paul Bartlett showed me how to play some cool licks in that wonderful piece of work so I'm having the time of my life with that one.
Then I strap on the B45 and carry on with "The Trilogy." If I get anywhere close to it I'm happy.
Another thing I really enjoy is taking the 12 string with me when I get to travel around to people's homes etc. and playing it in different rooms and places where the acoustics are good. Usually a pleasant surprise is in store.
Many of the successful groups such as Abba, the Byrds, Fairport Convention etc. used 12 string guitars in their shows and recordings.
Guess it's time for a tune again.
Cheers, RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
fezo

Great story and a great guitar.

My current 12 string is a Taylor which is nice but I' still looking at what else is out there....
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
Kenyon

That's a mighty fine 12-string. I've been trying to get my hands on a Gibson B45 for ages, with no luck. I've seen a few listed on Ebay, but am hesitant to buy without hearing it first. I want to make sure the guitar has that characteristic "Lightfoot" sound.
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote