banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-27-2008, 01:17 AM   #26
podunklander

Default Re: Your Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
i've also got the Skip tapes and it IS gord. as for the quality, i got the file posted here from the CDs of the show. basically ripped it to my computer and converted to mp3. the 3 shows arent the best sound quality from the beginning. i think there's only one source of them out there. the 68 one is beautiful!
Will take your word on the 68 one...but I'd much appreciate getting to listen to this one too if you would please consider posting it ?
Old 12-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #27
joveski

it's over one CD and burner is on the blink..... remind me soon!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #28
podmed

Well, since I am new to this forum, we will start with the first "gift" to my fellow Gord Fans. I have been trying to look for it, but I have a recording of Gord singing at one of Bob Dylan's parties in the late 60's. It sounds "the same" style as "Your Song". I just have to find it!!!! Once I do, how do I get it to you all?
podmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #29
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Further to my last posting the subject of the "recording" of Your Song bad as it might be puts me in rather a quandary.
I am trying had to finalise my attempt at making a definitive listing of all songs recorded by GL to help the Lightfoot Tribute Team realise their goal of vistoring all recorded songs by GL. Tom himself has told me that they aim to cover only the "official" recordings but not the various "bootlegs"
"unless there is a compelling reason" to do so.
the problem is defining an "official" recording and what might constitute a "compelling reason"
In my view any "recording" that was made with Gord's knowledge and broadcast whether by radio or television or oin a movie has to be considered official. clearly therefore Your Song has to be included.
the same source also supplies recordings of two other rarities The Seabird Song and The Doomsday Song. I have yet to hear those two from the Weshner collection. Other rarities have to be considered on their merits. For example there are four fine rarities from the aborted 1974 Massey Hall concerts project which is in fairly widespread circulation amongst GL fans. Gord may have disapproved of the actual concert recordings due to his perfectionist dismissal of those tracks affected by a broken fingernail, but there is no denying that they exist and I submit are compelling enough to be included. Another category is the considerable number of album "outtakes" as listed on Wayne's website.
regarding Podmed's "gift" that Mende cannot come up with there used to be a tiny real audio file of Gord's cover of Dylan's Ballad in Plain D available on the Italian Dylan site maggiesfarm.it from where I downloaded it yonks ago but a google just now did not find it dammit.whatever as that very recording was used "officially" in a Bob Dylan film it too has a compelling reason for inclusion in the vistory roster!!

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #30
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
it's over one CD and burner is on the blink..... remind me soon!
Will do -thanks!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #31
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
regarding Podmed's "gift" that Mende cannot come up with there used to be a tiny real audio file of Gord's cover of Dylan's Ballad in Plain D available on the Italian Dylan site maggiesfarm.it from where I downloaded it yonks ago but a google just now did not find it dammit.whatever as that very recording was used "officially" in a Bob Dylan film it too has a compelling reason for inclusion in the vistory roster!!
found it!! go to:-
http://www.geocities.com/soho/coffee...realaudio.html

find Lightfoot on that webpage and download
http://www.geocities.com/soho/coffee...9/lightfoot.ra

it's only 191kb

In passing
Char you missed one of dfedgn14021's
bits of drivel

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 12-27-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #32
charlene

sounds similar to his noodling around with Your Song..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:23 PM   #33
johnfowles

There were three CD jewel case rear inserts for the four Skip Weshner discs
This one shows the other two prize rarities
http://h1.ripway.com/johnfowles/easy...-inlay-800.jpg
and this one the party recording
http://h1.ripway.com/johnfowles/easy..._inlay-800.jpg
There are also three rather uninspired front inserts all looking like this:-
http://h1.ripway.com/johnfowles/easy...ooklet-800.jpg

all found on an artwork page by easytree.org that now seems to have a terminal technical problem

I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 12-27-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #34
johnfowles

the final drivel posting is at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=18957

I meant no one no harm

Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #35
charlene

John - why don't you just worry about your own posts?
I am really getting tired of this.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #36
RM

Mr. Fowles is now on my 'ignore list'.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #37
charlene

Numerous times, too numerous to count, I have asked everyone to NOT reply to posts by SPAMMERS etc.
John insists on not only replying but taking considerable time to colourize and enlarge his messages and be incredibly rude. I have also asked to not be notified by e-mail/P.M.'s etc. about them. I delete them when I see them and there are hundreds that no one sees as I get to them quickly.
I don't need my time taken up reading about them, reminding me of them, telling me I missed one. I have read all of John's reminders and replies to the SPAM posts so I know how many times and what he has posted.
If he wants to take it to the board then I will answer at the board.
This is not a subject I wish to have to re-visit again.
It seems that everyone except John is able to function here without this stuff causing such turmoil in their lives they feel the need to post inanities such as he has the last few days.
It is XMAS and I am busy!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's move on.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #38
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
it seemed to me that he was venting -which we all do at times and it does seem to me to be a bit extreme now to publically berate and then ostracize John for this. That's just wrong!
I don't think anyone has banished Mr. Fowles, but I don't want to read his moanings about the spam any more than I want to read the spam itself. I've already posted about a way to avoid dealing with the spam (you have to be logged in for it to take effect), and Mr. Fowles would probably lower his blood pressure if he spent 2 minutes to employ that feature instead of spending 3 minutes to post a complaint.

Last edited by RM; 12-28-2008 at 05:12 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #39
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
Charlene, I don't think it's any big deal to have spam around for a few days if you're too busy and need to take a break from having to deal with it. So yep, let's move on.
from your lips to john's ears..

Old 12-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #40
Moosedog

Happy Holidays, everyone! LOL
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #41
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
Happy Holidays, everyone! LOL
yeah, what she says lol
Old 12-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #42
Patti

Elton, that is really nice.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #43
Patti

Been gone for a while. Stopped at home and got my mail. Jesse Joe sent me some Gordon Lightfoot music which in includes "Your Song" by EJ. I wasn't able to listen to it on corfid. For some reason my computer wouldn't go to it. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to listen to it tonight. I really like that song. Wouldn't mind hearing Gordon Lightfoot singing it.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #44
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
Been gone for a while. Stopped at home and got my mail. Jesse Joe sent me some Gordon Lightfoot music which in includes "Your Song" by EJ. I wasn't able to listen to it on corfid. For some reason my computer wouldn't go to it. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to listen to it tonight. I really like that song. Wouldn't mind hearing Gordon Lightfoot singing it.
Welcome back Patti!! Where have you been??? I've been way for a week -just got back home a little while ago. I hope you'll enjoy the song as much as I have !
Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #45
Patti

I'm babysitting a couple of wiener dogs. Right now, I am at a library. I still didn't get to hear the song. I got to hear 'Whispers of the North" very quietly and then found out why...the headphone cord looks like someone tried to bite it, or maybe it got pinched in the recliner. oh, well... I tried fixing the headphones, but kept messing up and making the cord shorter and shorter. Later...

Last edited by Patti; 01-21-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #46
timetraveler

While I'm thinking about it, I got to thinking about another artist that might do well doing another's material, and what I came up with is seeing what it would sound like if Jeff Lynne, formerly of ELO, were to do material of the late Roy Orbison. I think that he'd do a marvelous job.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #47
jj

ok, my reply has nothing to do with 'your song' but we allow that right? lol

interesting comment, timetraveller...longtime roy and lynne fan here...my first big concert was seeing lynne with 60,000 other back mid 70s, later i realized a lot of that performance was prerecorded but understandable

the orbison/melson writing team came up with some wonderful stuff...i'm not sure what specific tune lynne could actually pull off, range wise...when he extends his range he usually layers in a lot of backups because his voice thins out, unlike roy who just got stronger the wider he stretched his multi-octave range...i dont even think there ever has been a roy tribute with other artists doing his tunes???? i could dig lynne giving Mystery Girl a go, without jumping an octave for the chorus

from another angle, i would have liked to hear roy do some lynne tunes...for eg, off Armshair Theatre - Blown Away, Now Your Gone...and some early elo like Telephone Line or Can't Get it Out of My Head...or Wild West Hero (although a simple arrangement without the instr bridge)

it was terrific they had some time together in the Wilburys...lynne kinda reminds me of lindsey buckingham...skills all around- creative writing, identifiable vocals, strong guitar work, and impeccable production approach, perhaps over production...i really love lynne's raw work

i wish Gord would sit and talk about songwriting, you know, several minutes about each song the way jeff does for Livin Thing in this clip

i would hang on every word....well, thanks for the mindspark, tt...cheers

ps) aint this a great clip?

Last edited by jj; 02-04-2009 at 11:29 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #48
podunklander

I found my ages old ELO cassette and brought it along for my OH roadtrip...brought back some memories!

There's a wonderful Orbison tribute on DVD -I think might be from his 1987 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. I've never been able to sit down and watch it in it's entirety...but I've caught most of it here and there.

In regards to anyone singing like Roy...well here's a quote from Bruce Springsteen from the 1987 induction ceremony, which appears on the back cover Roy's 'Legendary Performers' songbook that I have:

"In '75 when I went to the studio to make 'Born To Run', I wanted to make a record with words like Bob Dylan that sounded like Phil Spector, but most of all I wanted to sing like Roy Orbison. Now everybody knows that nobody sings like Roy Orbison." -Bruce Springsteen
Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #49
Patti

This has nothing to do with 'your song' either, but coincidentally, the dogs I was babysitting belonged to someone that used to know Roy Orbison.

Been back home since last night. I didn't really enjoy that "your song' on the cd that Jesse Joe sent. It was a bad recording. One unreleased song that he sent called 'Face of A Thousand People', was something I especially felt a good connection to.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #50
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
This has nothing to do with 'your song' either, but coincidentally, the dogs I was babysitting belonged to someone that used to know Roy Orbison.

Been back home since last night. I didn't really enjoy that "your song' on the cd that Jesse Joe sent. It was a bad recording. One unreleased song that he sent called 'Face of A Thousand People', was something I especially felt a good connection to.
hey that's something! "Orbiedust" anyway! While driving to one of Gordon's concerts in Mass. last Fall, my oldest, dearest friend...recalled having met Roy when he performed at the Big E, she was 15 (so, the 60's ). Don't know if she had ever told me that before but if she had, it was many years ago. I know she told me stories of the many famous people she's known, mostly musicians...when I was a teenager and I can still remember most of them. But I just don't recall the one about Roy could be one she missed.

I always liked hearing all those stories when I was younger. Still do but it's not the same as when I was a kid.

When I was looking through Roy's songbook here...I saw that he and I share the same b-day!!! gee I must have noticed that before but have forgotten . Same day as Shakespeare too .

Sounds like an interesting petsitting job, Patti!!! And sorry to know you didn't care for the copy of the recording of 'Your Song' .