banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
doctorpilsxhp

I posted this tale years ago but I thought it still may be of interest.

I've always enjoyed canoeing the northern rivers where peace and solitude is only broken by the cry of the ring necked loon. Where pine and fir trees frame rushing rapids and where granite pushes its way through the soil like the knees on teenaged jeans.

I've always wanted to canoe the Albany River to James Bay, a historic fur trade route and in 1980
my canoeing partner headed north. We were driving through Michigan to cross back into Canada at Sault St. Marie. Caught a glimps of Lake Superior conjuring up thoughts of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Late that evening as fatigue overtook us we decided to pull off of highway 631 and catch a few winks at the side of the road before proceeding to our destination of Hearst.

Our sleep was imediately broken by the rumbling sounds of locomotives, shaking the ground as they shunted back and forth. The smell of diesel fuel filled the air as did the sounds of horns and bells. This continued all night!

Early next morning we decided that we had enough of this train yard and pushed onwards. I popped my new Lightfoot cassette, 'Dream Street Rose' into the player and was enjoying the tunes as the scenery sped by. As if on cue, the town sign announcing 'Hornpayne' flashed by while the speakers blared out 'On the High Seas'. Gord sang "was it up in Hornpayne where the trains run on time". Our jaws dropped as we looked at each other.

Perhaps Gord spent a sleepless night in this town as well?....

Yuri

"the river is the melody, the sky is the refrain"
Old 08-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Yuri

I posted this tale years ago but I thought it still may be of interest.

I've always enjoyed canoeing the northern rivers where peace and solitude is only broken by the cry of the ring necked loon. Where pine and fir trees frame rushing rapids and where granite pushes its way through the soil like the knees on teenaged jeans.

I've always wanted to canoe the Albany River to James Bay, a historic fur trade route and in 1980
my canoeing partner headed north. We were driving through Michigan to cross back into Canada at Sault St. Marie. Caught a glimps of Lake Superior conjuring up thoughts of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Late that evening as fatigue overtook us we decided to pull off of highway 631 and catch a few winks at the side of the road before proceeding to our destination of Hearst.

Our sleep was imediately broken by the rumbling sounds of locomotives, shaking the ground as they shunted back and forth. The smell of diesel fuel filled the air as did the sounds of horns and bells. This continued all night!

Early next morning we decided that we had enough of this train yard and pushed onwards. I popped my new Lightfoot cassette, 'Dream Street Rose' into the player and was enjoying the tunes as the scenery sped by. As if on cue, the town sign announcing 'Hornpayne' flashed by while the speakers blared out 'On the High Seas'. Gord sang "was it up in Hornpayne where the trains run on time". Our jaws dropped as we looked at each other.

Perhaps Gord spent a sleepless night in this town as well?....

Yuri

"the river is the melody, the sky is the refrain"
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
charlene

I've been on the train through Hornepayne Yuri - and as far as I know it was running on time...didn't see you or Gord as we passed by tho....
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
charlene

I've been on the train through Hornepayne Yuri - and as far as I know it was running on time...didn't see you or Gord as we passed by tho....
lol
Old 08-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
Sundown17

On the High Seas is one of my top ten Gord songs. And I love the fact that he changed it from On the TV! So much more romantic. lol Another plus is that it was in the concert rotation last year.

And very glad to hear from two very reliable sources that the trains do indeed run in Hornpayne and on time at that. Great story Yuri.

Diane
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by Sundown17:
And I love the fact that he changed it from On the TV! Diane
In my head I always will hear "on the TV"...
lol

I remember the first time someone mentioned "on The High Seas" here or on the NG and I had to look up this song I never heard of!

It is a fave of mine too Diane...

char
Old 08-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by Sundown17:
And I love the fact that he changed it from On the TV! Diane
In my head I always will hear "on the TV"...
lol

I remember the first time someone mentioned "on The High Seas" here or on the NG and I had to look up this song I never heard of!

It is a fave of mine too Diane...

char
Old 08-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Janice

What a great story, Yuri! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

Terrific story Yuri, Thank you oh so very much. As far as On The TV, I thought it was a joke to his audience on Soundstage, in 1979. When he said and this one is called, "On The TV." And then he launched into that great song we all came to know as , "On The High Seas."...JJ.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
Jesse Joe

Terrific story Yuri, Thank you oh so very much. As far as On The TV, I thought it was a joke to his audience on Soundstage, in 1979. When he said and this one is called, "On The TV." And then he launched into that great song we all came to know as , "On The High Seas."...JJ.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote