banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-24-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
GordonandClayfan

Just got back from the show. I thought it was great. Tried to write down the set list, though it was pretty dark. But here goes, must admit some songs (even old ones) I did not know the name of, so I wrote the first line or what I thought the title might be. I will try to identify these titles with a ?
First set:
Spanish Moss
Don Quixote
Harmony
I remember when (we meant no harm)??
Cape Horn
Triangle
Cotton Ginny (I think this is when he picked up 12 string)
Sundown
Ribbon of Darkness
Edmund Fitzgerald (then goes back to 6 string)
Christian Island
Baby Step Back--Intermission
Second Set:
Pony Man
On Again Off Again World (???)
Wicked Wind (??)
Restless Feeling
Ring Them Bells
If You Could Read My Mind
Rainy Day People
Bitter Green
I Don't Remember (??)
Early Morning Rain
Encore:
Old Dan's Records
I loved the show. Great to see him back. He talked about being glad to be back, how he recognized some old friends in the audience. Also how he remembered playing the Universal Amphitheater when it was open and how after it was covered he couldn't stay in tune. Blamed it on the air conditioning. (For those around LA who don't know the Universal used to be open see the cover of Joni Mitchell's live "Miles of Aisles" album).
GordonandClayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:52 AM   #2
Tom Morgan

Just got back from the show. I thought it was great. Tried to write down the set list, though it was pretty dark. But here goes, must admit some songs (even old ones) I did not know the name of, so I wrote the first line or what I thought the title might be. I will try to identify these titles with a ?
First set:
Spanish Moss
Don Quixote
Harmony
Cape Horn
Triangle
Sundown
Ribbon of Darkness
Christian Island
Second Set:
Pony Man
Wicked Wind (??)
Restless Feeling
Ring Them Bells
Rainy Day People
Bitter Green
I Don't Remember (??)
Early Morning Rain
Encore:
Old Dan's Records
I loved the show. Great to see him back. He talked about being glad to be back, how he recognized some old friends in the audience. Also how he remembered playing the Universal Amphitheater when it was open and how after it was covered he couldn't stay in tune. Blamed it on the air conditioning. (For those around LA who don't know the Universal used to be open see the cover of Joni Mitchell's live "Miles of Aisles" album).
Tom Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:05 AM   #3
GordonandClayfan

Just looked at the list and noticed I missed one. In the second set "Beautiful" came between Restless Feeling and Ring Them Bells. The second set started great, a string of soulful songs that had the audience transfixed. So glad I was there tonight.
GordonandClayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:05 AM   #4
Tom Morgan

Just looked at the list and noticed I missed one. In the second set "Beautiful" came between Restless Feeling and Ring Them Bells. The second set started great, a string of soulful songs that had the audience transfixed. So glad I was there tonight.
Tom Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:23 AM   #5
on-susan's-floor

I'm just back, too, from the concert. I feel sad it's over--such a peak experience! Gordon was terrific. He seemed touched by the audience's response, and I thought afterwards what an experience this must be for him--after those long, discouraging months and years he has gone through--and now he is being loved and appreciated again. God bless him!
\"Didn't feel so cold and tired<BR>Stretched out before her fire<BR>Rollin' smokes and drinkin' up her wine<BR>And I remember candlelight<BR>And singing 'til we could not sing no more<BR>Then fallin' warm asleep on Susan's floor\"
on-susan's-floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:23 AM   #6
Brave Soul

I'm just back, too, from the concert. I feel sad it's over--such a peak experience! Gordon was terrific. He seemed touched by the audience's response, and I thought afterwards what an experience this must be for him--after those long, discouraging months and years he has gone through--and now he is being loved and appreciated again. God bless him!
Brave Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:43 AM   #7
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Thank you Tom and Brave Soul! How wonderful... just another...20 (?) hours until I see him! EEEEEKK!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
Sydney Steve

Tom : Above and beyond the call of duty - set lists are so hard to organise as a fan when you get hooked up into the moment - but in all truth it is no less than what many of us hoped for. Well done - a seriously well organised mind to revisit the set list in your minds eye and slot one in....
Brave Soul: Nice stuff but it was a teaser ! Based on your post I reckon there is more there that you can feed to us losers out in cyberspace who aren't able to make one of these concerts. Any hope of your impressions after you have cooled down to provide a different perspective when the adrenalin has subsided and you can provide an analytical perspective after time to consider what you experienced ?
Sorry but my greed gene has kicked in. You gave me a single square of the chocolate and I demand more !
Old 04-24-2005, 06:16 AM   #9
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Morgan:
First set:
Spanish Moss
Don Quixote
Harmony
Cape Horn
Triangle
Sundown
Ribbon of Darkness
Christian Island
Second Set:
Pony Man
Wicked Wind (??)
Restless Feeling
Ring Them Bells
Rainy Day People
Bitter Green
I Don't Remember (??)
Early Morning Rain
Encore:
Old Dan's Records
Two of those you aren't familiar with are "Never Too Close" [I remember when (we meant no harm)??] and "Shadows" [wicked wind]. I think it was "Waiting for You" that has the [on-again off-again] phrase, and "On the High Seas" might be the [I don't remember] song. Anyway, quite a selection of songs - something for everybody. Can't wait.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:16 AM   #10
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Morgan:
First set:
Spanish Moss
Don Quixote
Harmony
Cape Horn
Triangle
Sundown
Ribbon of Darkness
Christian Island
Second Set:
Pony Man
Wicked Wind (??)
Restless Feeling
Ring Them Bells
Rainy Day People
Bitter Green
I Don't Remember (??)
Early Morning Rain
Encore:
Old Dan's Records
Two of those you aren't familiar with are "Never Too Close" [I remember when (we meant no harm)??] and "Shadows" [wicked wind]. I think it was "Waiting for You" that has the [on-again off-again] phrase, and "On the High Seas" might be the [I don't remember] song. Anyway, quite a selection of songs - something for everybody. Can't wait.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:26 AM   #11
SilverHeels

Thanks Tom! He included Christian Island!!!!!!! OMG - he SO better include it at the Massey!
Great selection of songs. Cant wait to see him.
26 days or so ...
Old 04-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #12
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Nice review! Thanks so much, Tom!
Kimberly
Old 04-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #13
musky_man

I find it interesting that some of you say that it was sad that it (the concert) was over. I have not been to a GL concert for about 4 years, but I do recall that same feeling.

Going to make up for lost time this year and am going to see him twice at Massey. Inadvertantly got two sets of tickets .... long story (Wed and Friday night) and have decided to go to both concerts. Can't wait. I still recall seeing Gord at my first concert at Massey in 1969-70 .... 35 years ago but seems like yesterday.
musky_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #14
Tyler

MM most of us are going to be at the Delta. Jenney got a price break for the lightfoot concert goers.
Hope to meet you there.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #15
brink

MM most of us are going to be at the Delta. Jenney got a price break for the lightfoot concert goers.
Hope to meet you there.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:25 AM   #16
The Rez

Saturday Night in Cerritos . . .

. . . a lyric, melodic Bass danced counterpoint to Drums-as-Orchestral-Percussion; as Keyboard-of-Many Colors slipped in then hid; as Guitars dipped the delicacy in Honey.

Above it all, floated the Soul-Surviving Sensibilites of the Soul we’d come here to hear: Gordon Lightfoot,. Counted out by critics, and very nearly Counted-Out along with Big Blue, The Blessing brought him back to us.

Songs of old; songs of new; songs along the June Bug river coursing thru him.
Bittergreen Harmony, People and Rain (of the Rainy Day and Early Morning kind Pony Man fantasy, Windmill chivalry . . . and Minstrilsy.

Songs of the High Seas; of Schooners and Scrimshaw; of Triangles and Tradewinds; and of an island called Christian and the proud Silver Heels. Restless and Beautiful, at once.

More relaxed than before w/ jests and "do-overs" The smile and the eyes told the tale. Of praises, thanksgiving, of breath and the road. "When I stand on my own sod, it feels so good to be home by God." Tonight he was on his own sod.

Being one who has ridden the same river right along, thru rapids and onward, to Where Peaceful Waters Flow. Thru times when ya’ had to portage your own boat in search of deep water again. From ’65 on thru ’05, from then on thru now: I stood in awe tonight as I did all those nights years ago.

And as always, I listened with eyes closed.

The Rez,

Gord: Thanks for Shadows - I remember.
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:16 AM   #17
byKimberly

How beautifully written, Rez....
Kimberly
Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #18
on-susan's-floor

Just a bit more on Saturday night at Cerritos: Even though I ordered tickets early, I was foolish enough to buy the cheaper ones and my friend and I were too far back to hear many of the remarks Gordon made (I'm an older person and don't have great hearing). Also, what a mistake I made, as a "serious introvert", to not join the group at Mimi's! I would like to know all of you, and perhaps I might have been included on the "list of 20" who were allowed in at the stage door. (Thanks so much for the pictures, Kimberly, tho' it hurts that I might have been inside, shyness and all, having my picture taken with the man I admire so much . . . Maybe next year??? Or even Canada some day???)

Standing outside in a small hopeful group as the sprinkles started coming down, Terry Clements emerged and chatted for a bit. What a handsome, really NICE man he is!

Michelle, who is much younger than I and who was a Lightfoot fan in her teens, was thrilled with the evening, too. She said that when Gordon began to sing the very first song (Spanish Moss), his voice went deep into her heart and a surge of feelings welled up in her like a huge sob jolting her back to her early years, to emotions she had almost forgotten--all totally unexpected. From there on she felt quite transfixed.

What a gentle power this man has over so many of us. For me it's magical, almost mystical--the feelings that well up in me. And his age, or how his voice "holds up" or not doesn't take away from that magic. So much of it is in the words he has put down on paper and into the music of his being, of his great heart. Again I say "God bless him"--forever.
I must say that through most of his songs I sat there adoring him and sending deeply felt "I love you's" from my heart to him on that stage. I hope he takes into himself all the love so many of us feel for him. Perhaps that's much of the reason he was able to come through all that he did, and to return to the good health he seems to have now.
(I wonder where that gorgeous bracelet came from . . .)

Eva
\"Didn't feel so cold and tired<BR>Stretched out before her fire<BR>Rollin' smokes and drinkin' up her wine<BR>And I remember candlelight<BR>And singing 'til we could not sing no more<BR>Then fallin' warm asleep on Susan's floor\"
Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #19
Brave Soul

Just a bit more on Saturday night at Cerritos: Even though I ordered tickets early, I was foolish enough to buy the cheaper ones and my friend and I were too far back to hear many of the remarks Gordon made (I'm an older person and don't have great hearing). Also, what a mistake I made, as a "serious introvert", to not join the group at Mimi's! I would like to know all of you, and perhaps I might have been included on the "list of 20" who were allowed in at the stage door. (Thanks so much for the pictures, Kimberly, tho' it hurts that I might have been inside, shyness and all, having my picture taken with the man I admire so much . . . Maybe next year??? Or even Canada some day???)

Standing outside in a small hopeful group as the sprinkles started coming down, Terry Clements emerged and chatted for a bit. What a handsome, really NICE man he is!

Michelle, who is much younger than I and who was a Lightfoot fan in her teens, was thrilled with the evening, too. She said that when Gordon began to sing the very first song (Spanish Moss), his voice went deep into her heart and a surge of feelings welled up in her like a huge sob jolting her back to her early years, to emotions she had almost forgotten--all totally unexpected. From there on she felt quite transfixed.

What a gentle power this man has over so many of us. For me it's magical, almost mystical--the feelings that well up in me. And his age, or how his voice "holds up" or not doesn't take away from that magic. So much of it is in the words he has put down on paper and into the music of his being, of his great heart. Again I say "God bless him"--forever.
I must say that through most of his songs I sat there adoring him and sending deeply felt "I love you's" from my heart to him on that stage. I hope he takes into himself all the love so many of us feel for him. Perhaps that's much of the reason he was able to come through all that he did, and to return to the good health he seems to have now.
(I wonder where that gorgeous bracelet came from . . .)

Eva
Old 04-25-2005, 05:58 PM   #20
byKimberly

Eva, I too, regret not being able to meet more of the group. You seem like someone I'd like to know.
Kimberly
Old 04-25-2005, 06:00 PM   #21
charlene

Gord told me that a friend made the bracelet for him...must be a jeweller friend!
lol
Char
it is even more incredible up close - 3 colours of gold if I remember correctly. very very pretty.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:00 PM   #22
charlene

Gord told me that a friend made the bracelet for him...must be a jeweller friend!
lol
Char
it is even more incredible up close - 3 colours of gold if I remember correctly. very very pretty.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:10 PM   #23
on-susan's-floor

Thank you, Kimberly. I'd like to know you, too. Is there a way to email?

Perhaps we'll all work out a way to get together.

Eva
Old 04-25-2005, 10:10 PM   #24
Brave Soul

Thank you, Kimberly. I'd like to know you, too. Is there a way to email?

Perhaps we'll all work out a way to get together.

Eva
Old 04-25-2005, 10:23 PM   #25
byKimberly

Eva, I live up in the north, currently, Cupertino, but I may start looking for work down LA way. We aren't that far apart anyway. Just a drive... graphicsbykim at sbcglobal.net
Kimberly