banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

Default Gotta be a double

Got quite a start this afternoon as I blew down the street into the local Byrne Dairy (gas and convenience store) for a few scratch-offs. As I turned to head out the door, a man passed by me, out the door towards his car (he was gassing up and came in to pay) and I swear I stopped dead in my tracks. Now I KNOW it wasn't Gord, but holy moley it sure looked like him: not very tall, rail thin, long swept back hair (though a bit grayer than Gord's I think), blue jeans and a short jacket. No hat, gloves or scarf. There is no reason on earth for Gord to be in central New York at this time but the likeness was enough to make me check his touring schedule, lol. Wish I'd seen more than his left profile and a bit of jaunty walk to his car (no, not the usual Lightfootmobile.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Gotta be a double

where was this?
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

Here in Auburn, a block from where I live, lol.

Of course I know I have at least one double myself, possibly two. Years ago when I was in college in Westchester County, I was at breakfast one Sunday morning when a couple of classmates came in to the cafeteria (having been out all night and not yet getting to bed.) They sat down with me and said "so how come you didn't tell us? You were really good!" "Huh?" Turns out they thought they saw (and heard) me singing at a club in the East Village. It took considerable denial to convince them it wasn't me, I never left campus. To this day they're not entirely sure they believe me.

Classmates are one thing, but someone who has known me since I was born is another matter. One of my uncles was a professor at the University of Rochester and he told me he once had a woman in one of his classes, sitting right down front, who looked exactly like me. If he hadn't known for absolute certain that I was home, not in Rochester, he would have said it was me.

Of course given how many billions of humans there are walking around, I suppose it's bound to happen. Just weird when it does.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Bill

In the eighties I got taken for Mike Myers of REM. it was kinda spooky...and someone doing that was how I came to discover their music. You never know though...I've passed Kristofferson, Weird Al, and Ed Bruce in airports. My uncle chatted up Don Williams in a Walmart checkout line (really--they lived near each other).
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
charlene

I spoke with Gord about being in the Finger Lakes district when he called here in July as someone mentioned seeing him there...he must have thought I meant after a concert in the area and as usual we got sidetracked in the conversation...
I spoke with KK at the Toronto airport 24 years ago last August I think..he was making a movie with Cheryl Ladd...
My teenage b.f. and I broke up way back in the early 70's. He went out west. Met a new girlfriend. Came back to TO. A friend saw him and her in a car and thought she was me because we looked so much alike back then and thought we had got back together. Nope.
The odd/weird/spooky thing is that her name started with Char like mine does...and that's what he called her too...
Probably still does after 36 years of marriage, several kids and lots of grandkids.
Gord's daughter thinks I look like Joan Baez.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Bill

She's right!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
In the eighties I got taken for Mike Myers of REM. it was kinda spooky...and someone doing that was how I came to discover their music. You never know though...I've passed Kristofferson, Weird Al, and Ed Bruce in airports. My uncle chatted up Don Williams in a Walmart checkout line (really--they lived near each other).

oh, you mean REM's Mike Mills .... or you mean Austin Powers, lol?

we used to jam for hours on acoustics messin' with their non-radio stuff, fun

i love Don Williams... not just the voice, the backing arrangements

... i've gone from kurt browning to philip seymour hoffman... oh well

Last edited by jj; 02-03-2013 at 05:50 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I look like Joan Baez.
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...highlight=baez

and i think that statement was made at Massey about ten years ago, lol
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...highlight=baez

and i think that statement was made at Massey about ten years ago, lol
yep it was!! ...and again this spring in Orillia and at times when I was younger too.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Robby Lake

You guys are soo funny! You never know how a thread or posting will end.
When I 1st met Gord, it was aroung 12 yrs. ago, backstage in the "Green Room" after a concert at Ruth Eckard Hall in Clearwater,FL. me and my lead guitar player got free tickets from a friend of mine, Wally Bivons, who was Lightfoots road manager in 1974 after the release of the "Sundown" album. Wally also did some engineering, I think, during the "Dream St. Rose" sessions (his name is among on the album credits).
Sorry; let me get to the point. After some small talk, Gord asks me, "..you play "Can R.R. Trilogy? Do you use a capo for that?" I was very shocked. I aswered, dazed and confused, " uh, ...yeah. tune the low E string to D and capo the 3rd fret." He has an innnocence and youthful humor about him that is unmistakable.