banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

Default Kristofferson on the end of the road

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/499154...lite=obnetwork

Kinda melancholy reading but honest as Kris always is. Sounds like he's winding things, and life, down.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Kristofferson on the end of the road

I've been reading and watching videos of this last tour he's on...I hope he makes it back here to the TO area in 2013. LOVE him to pieces...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
charlene

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...he-sunset.html

Can't wait for the new CD....
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Borderstone

I just watched Kris on a DVD of Saturday Night Live from 1976.

Hard to believe it's the same guy.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post

we all age....
Old 12-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

sad if he is winding down. his music touches the soul. I saw him years ago with johney cash, waylon jennings and willie nelson. awesome show.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
charlene

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...album-20130117

By Dan Hyman

January 17, 2013 2:00 PM ET

Speaking from his home on the Hawaiian island of Maui, Kris Kristofferson, 76, looks back on a life rich with Hall of Fame-worthy country-music writing and recording credits, acclaimed acting roles, a Rhodes scholarship and collegiate athletic prowess with nothing short of fondness. "It's a pretty neat life when you think about it," he tells Rolling Stone. "I just feel so grateful."

But rather than spend his time driving a tractor around his expansive property, mowing the lawn or occasionally taking the two-hour trek across the island to spend time with his "best friend" Willie Nelson ("He's the same kid sitting at his table playing chess and smoking whatever"), Kristofferson continues to churn out new songs.

From the Archives: Dylan Meets the Durango Kid: Kristofferson and Dylan in Mexico

His latest album, Feeling Mortal, due on January 29th, contains some of the singer-songwriter's most raw and poignant material yet. Ask him, however, and he's quick to dismiss any reference to his supreme talent – despite having scored a Number One album and penned iconic songs for the likes of Janis Joplin ("Me and Bobby McGee") and Johnny Cash ("Sunday Morning Coming Down"). "Hell, I've been making up songs since I was 11," he says. "I think that's just what I do naturally. And I just feel grateful that I've been able to do it all my life."

The album, Kristofferson's 28th, arrives three years after 2009's Closer to the Bone and was again recorded with longtime collaborator Don Was. The acclaimed producer (The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan) flew down to Maui, along with a team of A-list studio musicians, to cut the 10-track LP. "The musicians were great," Kristofferson says. He praises the work of guitarist Mark Goldenberg, whom Kristofferson says made him "feel like Hank Williams or something."

Was, whom Kristofferson says "came along [in the Eighties] when the rest of the business was ready to abandon me," has been instrumental in the singer’s late career resurgence, and remains an essential ingredient to his continuing musical output. "He seems to understand just what it is of your creative work that works and how to enhance it," Kristofferson explains. "Hell, he works with all kinds of people now because he's so good at it. But he's been absolutely dependable. He's never changed."

Kristofferson's music has always been especially emotive – "It's all been pure expression of what's in my heart," he says – yet Feeling Mortal feels particularly soul-baring. On the title track, over an aching acoustic strum, Kristofferson stands at Heaven's Gate, and the notoriously fiery man is still taking not ready to give in.

"God Almighty, here I am/ Am I where I ought to be/ I've begun to soon descend/ Like the sun into the sea." Yes, there’s still fight left in the ex-boxer, who would forgo a career in the Army to move to Nashville in the Sixties and go on to achieve his songwriting dream. "I warn you/ You’re wasting your time/ You don’t tell me what to do," he brazenly instructs over sweeping harmonica on "You Don't Tell Me What to Do."

With a title that points to the man's inevitable vulnerability, though, one can't help but wonder how often Kristofferson thinks of death. Unsurprisingly, he has a metaphor to explain his position. "I got to a point in my life, I guess, where it's like being in a football game," he explains, his voice quivering a bit, "and all of a sudden you get to playing at the end and you realize what a great game it's been.

"I think it's funny that as human beings we never think about dying," he continues. "I mean, we don't preoccupy ourselves with it, because it would be kind of depressing. But the truth is we're all gonna die." He pauses, then adds with a chuckle, "Well, maybe I won't."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2IH2H94Ni
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
Old 01-18-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post

yes, it is hard to believe. i just watched him in "alice doesn't live here anymore" and he was so, so young. he was also a pretty good actor!
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote