banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 10-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Default Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) in Melbourne 13Apr2017

I understand this forum has a few fans of Ian Anderson, who found fame as frontman of the band Jethro Tull. The "Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson" concert at Melbourne's Hamer Hall (Arts Centre) went on sale a few hours ago and I was thrilled to buy in the 3rd row. I'm surprised Ian Anderson's band is here again so soon after their Dec2014 tour, as we normally have to wait about 5 years between tours. Before the 2014 tour, Anderson said 2014 may be his final tour of Australia (and New Zealand), which was the first time he had said that. He is now 69 years old and I guess any additional tour is a bonus.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #2

Default Re: Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) in Melbourne 13Apr2017

Melbourne's "Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson" concert was OK, but even overlooking Ian's long-gone singing voice, I found the setlist and presentation quite tired and uninspiring. All the songs before intermission, and nearly all the songs after intermission, had been performed in Melbourne before.

The songs in order were as follows:
Living In The Past
Nothing Is Easy
Heavy Horses
Thick As A Brick (a shortened version)
Banker Bets, Banker Wins
Jack In The Green
Bouree (written by Johann Sebastian Bach)
Farm On The Freeway
Songs From The Wood (last song before intermission)
Sweet Dream
Pastime With Good Company (written by King Henry VIII)
Fruits Of Frankenfield
Dharma For One
A New Day Yesterday
Toccata And Fugue In D Minor (written by Johann Sebastian Bach)
My God
Aqualung (last song before encore)
Locomotive Breath.

It's a rare year to have 3 of my musical heroes performing here. I enjoyed James Taylor in February and I'm looking forward to Yusuf (Cat Stevens) in November.

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 04-13-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:45 PM   #3
BendRick

Jethro Tull was part of my growing up experience in the 1970's; my brothers enjoyed his music until they became fundamentalist Christians, and those albums were destroyed. However later in the 1980's when I regained my secular sanity, I bought those albums again. Aqualung is a very angry rant against the Church of England, but Stand Up is a wonderful acoustic guitar/ballad album. Never been to a Tull concert.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

BendRick,

Glad you're enjoying Jethro Tull again. My favourite Tull albums are "Thick As A Brick", "Songs From The Wood", "Bursting Out", "Stormwatch", "The Broadsword And The Beast", "Crest Of A Knave" and "Roots To Branches". If you prefer Ian Anderson's acoustic recordings, you would probably enjoy "The Secret Language Of Birds", "Rupi's Dance", "Thick As A Brick 2: Whatever Happened to Gerald Bostock?" and "Homo Erraticus".
Old 08-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Rob1956

Dave: Sorry you found the show disappointing. To be honest, I would not see any artist in concert 18 months or so after last seeing them. I figure the set list was probably the same. Ian is pushing 70 and probably is getting tired of performing. That's just speculation. There's quite a few reports that Neil Diamond is looking tired and at times in pain in his concerts this year. However, he is 7 years older than Ian. I saw Ian in Chicago in 2009, was a great show, and I think that will be it for me. I've been collecting the 40th anniversary releases that Ian is putting out of the Tull albums, so far I have Minstrel, Too Old, and Songs from the Wood. They are fantastic, well done multi-disc packages. Looking forward to Heavy Horses and Storm Watch.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #6

Rob,

I haven't found the "Heavy Horses" album memorable, apart from the 9-minute title track, but after discovering this glowing review today, I may revisit it:
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/3...-Heavy-Horses/

"Stormwatch" is one of my favourite Tull albums, with its 10 tracks all strong and plenty of variety in the melodies and subject matter. The obvious standouts are "Dark Ages" and "Flying Dutchman", but I find the closing instrumental "Elegy" near-perfect. (I may ask for it to be played at my funeral, along with Gord's "Carefree Highway" and James Taylor's "You Can Close Your Eyes".)