banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
charlene

Default Pittsfield MA.Colonial Theatre-Nov.8-2013

Rick Pic - Now we're at the Colonial Theater in Pittsfield, MA. Back in the 70's, we landed here a few times when we played Tanglewood. Then we flew here to perform at the Berkshire PAC in Lenox in 1991, but were never actually in the town of Pittsfield before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pittsfield,MA-ColonialTheatre-RH.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	6470  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Pittsfield MA.Colonial Theatre-Nov.8-2013

Carter pic - One more time with feeling...

This is the last concert of the year for us and we're all looking forward to some downtime. Thanx so much to our great crew, our promoters and of course Gord Lightfoot and the guys in the band for a really great year. Tonight's performance is coming to you from the Colonial Theatre in Pittsfield MA. It's nice to end the year with another sold out show!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pittsfield,MA-Colonial Theatre-CL.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	6471  
Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
charlene

Rick pic: Here's a view from the "Gallery", or 3rd level of the Colonial Theater in Pittsfield, MA. Now it's 110 years old. Pretty Cool!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pittsfield-MA.Here's a view from the Gallery, or 3rd level of the Colonial Theater in Pittsfield.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	6472  
Old 11-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Jenney

Diane and I had seats in the second to the last row, but the beautiful Colonial Theater is small so the seats were still good. Evidently they restored the theater in 2006 and it is just gorgeous. Very ornate. It was fun to be able to see the guys on the first night of their tour in Buffalo, one in between, and then the last night.
The Watchmans Gone
Waiting for You
Don Quixote
I’d Rather Press On
A Painter Passing Through
Christian Island
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Make Way for the Lady
Beautiful
Carefree Highway
Cotton Jenny
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
Did She Mention My Name
Intermission
Sweet Guinevere
WOTEF (the lighting was just beautiful during this)
Never Too Close
All the Lovely Ladies
Clouds of Loneliness
Wild Strawberries
Let It Ride
Fine as Fine Can Be
IYCRMM
Restless
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain
SFAWN
Encore: Blackberry Wine
Twice during the show Gord announced that they were from Toronto, but don’t smoke crack cocaine! The second time someone responded maybe they should! He commented that it was the last show of this tour, they did 12 shows in 15 days. He added the other guys were going home to their families and wives, and that he’d had a few tumbles in his personnel life, so he was going home to his cat. That got some laughs.
It was a sedate audience, and both Diane and I were surprised that there was no standing ovation at the end. Naturally we stood, but being in the back it didn’t seem to start that ball rolling. A handful of the audience stood, but not all that many.
It was a wonderful weekend for me. I got to see Diane again and catch up, and saw several Lightheads that I knew. I had driven up in the dark, but on Saturday had a lovely drive through the Berkshires which included a few stops at antique shops. Then Saturday night got to see Dave Mallett, my other favorite singer in concert. I just wish I had tickets to my next Lightfoot concert in hand.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
jj

"able to see the guys on the first night of their tour in Buffalo, one in between, and then the last night."

perfection, JR.... thanks to all for the fine tour reviews on this leg...we're spoiled!
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Sundown17

I apologize for the delay of this concert report. I also apologize for the description of my personal journey and the repeating of facts already in evidence from Jenney's posting. But this is my story and I am sticking to it.

My plan was to travel to Pittsfield through either the Green Mountains of Vermont or the Berkshires of Massachusetts and then south. I went to college up there and loved the area and thought this was an opportunity to re-visit. But we had snow flurries here at home before I left and I ran into snow squalls as I headed south on I-91 to get to either route I needed to travel on for the above plans, so I made the decision to keep on I-91 and then take the Mass Pike and stay in the lower elevations. Problem was that I had printed off the directions for the first two and not for the Mass Pike scenario....and I don't have GPS. But I figured that since Pittsfield was the largest city in Western Mass there would be plenty of old-fashioned signs to get me there. And there was. When I got off the Pike, I was stopped in Lee for a passing train...a couple of the train cars had "Big Blue" written on them and I took that as a good omen.

Not being familiar with the area it seemed to take forever to get from Lee to Pittsfield...and by now it is dark. I passed through Lenox and by the road for Tanglewood...the venue for many beautiful Lightfoot concerts in summers gone by. A little nostalgic sigh and then I pressed on. Two seconds after I passed the sign that announced I was in Pittsfield, was the sign for the Comfort Inn were Jenney and I were staying. So, of course, I zoomed right passed it. But I had time, so I decided to drive on up through Pittsfield to find the theater. Which I did, then returned to the Inn. I settled in and not much later, Jenney arrived. We tarted up and then left to see our boys.

We arrived early enough so that we were the first to be seated in our row. It was the next to last row in the orchestra section, but not a bad spot since it was a small theater and the view to the stage was still great. The crowd was mostly baby boomers, polite and maybe a tad too quiet. Although one guy gave standing o's on many songs, the audience in general did not...even when the concert was over. I chalked it up to old age, bad hips and knees that made getting up with enthusiasm out of the question...lol. Jenney and I stood up of course...being the spring chickens we are.

I cannot express enough how awesome the sound was. So crisp and clear and equalized. I could hear each one of them. Even the backup singers on Sundown! I know the sound quality can vary from venue to venue and Pittsfield tops my list of halls with great acoustics. They really knew what they were doing when they renovated it in 2006.

Gord was very talkative. Probably excited to be going home. He had his rough moments of voice which I totally expected since it was concert #12 in 15 days, but when he nailed it, he NAILED it. It was the Gordvoice of old. The Wreck was awesome as was IYCRMM and Make Way, among others. As many have expressed, Carter has brought his own talent to the band and it's wonderful, especially on Beautiful. But I must admit when he plays the solos in Sundown, etc...I still hear Terry's version in my head. I guess not enough time or concerts have passed for me. Upon giving it serious thought, I have decided that where Carter's style is is more melodic (from listening to his cd "Case Closed") Terry's was all Rock and Roll, baby. And therein lies the difference. Not bad, just different. As it should be.

I noticed the new arrangements since I haven't been to a concert in over two years and I love them. Which is a testiment to the talent that is creating them because I am usually a stickler for the original versions on most anything. Gord has adjusted his phrasing even more to accomodate his wind power. I love that he has acknowledged and even embraced his changing vocal performance. It makes for a much better show, IMNSHO. It is just a shame though that the new arrangement of Make Way will never be published. It so out shines the original, I think.

Jenney had inquired earlier about a place to grab a bite to eat after the show and after a slight disagreement with GPS, we found it. The food was good and it hit the spot. Then it was back to the Inn and lights out. We chatted a bit in the morning over breakfast and packing up in the room, but it wasn't nearly enough time to spend together. We will have to do it again...soon. So Gord, if you are listening, book some time in New England again next year.

The day was cloudy but dry, so I decided to head home through the mountains. It was a beautiful drive, but I made the right decision to not go that way on Friday as the ground was snow-covered in the higher elevations. Oh and while I was listening to Restless and it came to the part "Do you feel that restless feeling when you hear a whistle blast...like an echo from the past...of an old engine flying down a road that's iron cast" I was driving along beside a train that blew its whistle right then. A perfect end to a great concert trip.
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
charlene

Thanks for the reports Jenney and Diane - another year of concerts has come and gone and thankfully we have more in 2014 to look forward to. There will come a day when we will have attended our last Lightfoot concert with no more on the horizon. So until then - bring on 2014!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Nice stories ladies, thanks. So how does that work with no standing O? I thought we had to do that to get an encore... I mean I KNOW they plan to come back and all but that just doesn't seem right not to stand and hoot and holler. I'm glad you two represented the 'net people' nicely!

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote