banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #51
Robby Lake

Default Re: Stompin' Tom has died at 77

"Just for now I'd like to rest
In The Shade of a maple tree
To The blue Canadian Sky
I'll say a prayer for the world out there."
Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #52
Don Quixote

As with most of us in the U.S., I had barely heard of Stompin' Tom. But a few years ago, I was preparing a conference presentation on Canadian music as a way of teaching language, geography history and culture . Needless to say, Tom's music was a gold mine for this (you could build several weeks of classes just around "Land of the Maple Tree") , and I just kept on listening--great fun, some of it pretty lowbrow, some of it quite moving, but all of it heartfelt and brimming with love of country. He lived an amazing life, took it all in, and gave it all back through his music. He'll now be a part of the land he loved so much.

DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #53
charlene

http://www.samaritanmag.com/1512/don...ur-stompin-tom
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #54
charlene

Lightfoot will miss Stompin' Toms guitar: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/07...in-toms-guitar

TORONTO - Stompin’ Tom Connors will go down in history as one of Canada’s great storytellers, says fellow music legend Gordon Lightfoot.

“He gave me his autobiography a couple of years and I couldn’t put it down because it was so interesting,” said Lightfoot. “He had a fascinating life and he sure wrote about it well.”

When he came to songwriting, Lightfoot said he is one of the all-time greats.

“His music was very good and he had his own style,” said Lightfoot who leaves Friday for Seattle for the first of a 14-date U.S. west coast tour.

“He wrote about people and places. He was a grassroots guy. He wrote about us.”

One thing Lightfoot said his old friend was proudest of was that his songs were played for the troops in foreign theatres to keep them from getting homesick.

“I listen to his albums too,” said Lightfoot. “I became a fan after seeing him play at the Horseshoe Tavern. He could really play guitar. He had accuracy and great feel for his instrument.”

Lightfoot said he already misses his friend.

“For me this is a very sad passing but he was still performing up until last year at 76 so that’s pretty good.”
Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #55
charlene

Toronto Sun:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1297386127653_COMICS[1].jpg
Views:	380
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	5816  
Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #56
jj

from his home, playing the first song he ever wrote

and what a lovely phrase in this one, describing PEI

his home cradled out in the waves....

its so nice to hear the mic-less low tones of his smokey voice, and capo-less guitar

....that is a wonderfully terrific post, DQ...and an appropriate stanza, robby

speaking of PEI, one of my fave little verses is from a song RJ covers so nicely, To It and At It

" a girl from old spud island, old potato lips...
...she married a Newfoundlander, and they lived on fish and chips "

hope you're feeling a bit better today Ron... Canada Day sure came early this year
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #57
lighthead2toe

Thanks so much JJ.

Yes, the sadness in this occasion will definitely linger for a while.

I'll miss ol' Tom.

Yesterday at the "Heart and Crown" in the Byward market, downtown, Ottawa we played a pre "Paddy's Day" gig and there was a special announcement made regarding Tom's passing.
The speaker echoed Tom's request to donate to the food banks and homeless shelters in his memory. We topped the request off and played "Gumboot Cloggeroo."

Today at the "LaFayette Pub," also in the Byward market a special "Stompin" Tom" afternoon session is planned and I'm looking forward to attending that one, axe in hand.

I told Tom years ago that the reason why I liked his songs so much is because of the "little hook" he put in them. He complimented me by telling me liked "my own spin" I put on them.

He loved it also when we would play Gord's tunes. He would say "there's Ronnie Jones with his 150 string guitar (referring to the 12 string) and "just as many capos." Tom never used capos.

I'm looking forward also to attending the memorial celebration in Peterborough next Wednesday evening. It's about a three hour or so drive from Ottawa so I'll stay over in town and get to pay my respects and hang out with the family and friends, many whom I haven't seen for a while.

All very sad though.

PS: Ottawa CTV were there filming at the gig yesterday so there may be some news footage still available on their network.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #58
charlene

RJ - I wondered if you were heading to P'boro...glad to hear you can make it and be part of the memorial.
I know Tom was a long time friend of yours and I'm sorry for your loss. If there's an issue with accomodations on Wednesday then just head to my place...If I had wheels I'd head to P'boro myself!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #59
charlene

another wonderful Canadian should be honoured: The late Gene Maclellan - https://www.facebook.com/#!/bidinmytime

and video -

http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2013/3/P...ng-of-all-time
Old 03-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #60
lighthead2toe

Hi Char.
Thank you for your kind offer and condolence message.

I sure would love to stop by and hang out with you a bit but my tight schedule has me heading back to Ottawa the following day for a 2PM gig.
It's good the gigs are coming my way as it seems to keep me focused and also I get to play all the tunes I like doing.
No doubt there will be a few Stompin' Tom requests.

Regarding the late Gene MacLellan- yes, he was an amazing guy and very accomplished writer.
The CBC video link here is a very moving one. Very sweet.

On his "Face to the Gale" cd Ron Hynes does a beautiful song reflecting the passing of Gene called "Godspeed."
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #61
bjm7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
another wonderful Canadian should be honoured: The late Gene Maclellan - https://www.facebook.com/#!/bidinmytime

and video -

Absolutely!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #62
jj

Quote:

and video -

I remember the announcement of his death and radio tributes. Hard to believe it was almost two decades ago. Nice PEI Music Week tribute last year (maybe our gordwebmaster, Wayne Francis was there) and some may recall this terrific clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulz0d...ature=youtu.be

That was a very nicely captured, fun vid, char!

This is the version I usually hear weekly on my AM oldies station.
Ocean was a group from about an hour west of here. Live video gem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1iAa...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by jj; 03-24-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #63
jj

Ronnie: I love Tom's 12 string/capo quote! Memories
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #64
charlene

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/03/10/r...AGpTMo.twitter
Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #65
lighthead2toe

Got a call yesterday from my old musical friend Glen Reid who lives up there in the North Ontario town of Burke's Falls.

First time I saw Glen was back in the sixties and he was in a band singing Early Morning Rain. Also did a great job on "Did She Mention My Name."
He's one of the old gang still playing the gigs and makes fine instruments.

He said "hey Ronnie, don't ya know that these things usually happen in three's? (referring of course to Tom).

As it happens, Max Ferguson, long time CBC announcer died March 7th and Tam Kearney, Co-founder of "Fiddler's Green" folk group in Toronto passed on the same day as did Tom. All were friends and had either worked or associated with each other over the years. Amazing!

Glen performed on "Singalong Jubilee" and several other TV shows of that era.

I'm hoping to see him at the Memorial Service Wednesday evening.

Any event that Tom was associated with involved a song or two so I'll be taking that ol' 150 string guitar with me JJ, (just in case) and of course my ring of capos as well. Just for old times sake and "These Friends of Mine." (in case the Hawk is there).
Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #66
charlene

The Hawk is right up the road so if he's able to I bet he'll be there. He's not been in the best of health these days either...
Old 03-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #67
charlene

Dave Gunning had some very funny stories to tell when he performed at a Lightfoot tribute @ Hugh's a few years ago...

http://www.cbc.ca/informationmorning...n-tom-connors/

from 2005 - Dave: Gordon asked Dave how he liked touring with Tom as he'd learn an awful lot from him. Dave told us that there's that show called "Riverdance" and then there's the Stompin' Tom show - Liverdance! Where you learn to drink and hold your liquor."
Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #68
lighthead2toe

Just had a listed to Dave's interview. He's a very nice guy.

And yes, any kind of gig associated with Tom would include a 5AM drink, song, argument session, but not necessarily in that order. The fun times are now cherished ones.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #69
jj

http://youtu.be/-vbefa1T_WY

Gunning does quite the long intro here. Yeah, Liverdance

Note: Many YouTube performances out there of Hughs Room Stompin Tom tributes.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #70
jj

That would be wonderful if you played, Ron

Something I just read had me flashing back to some recording sessions at Grant Ave studio and a country music stint I was on in Europe mid 90s

Mark Laforme was on lead guitar with us and Larry Murphy on bass.
Mark had played lead solo on a single I co-wrote and later produced with me Doidge. and we released over there. Royalties. It bought the Fisher Price) farm...

He assembled the backup band for Tom soon after and was playing the Hockey Song at the HOF and Maple Leaf Gardens closing ceremonies. Glad he will be there. I doubt he'll recall that stint. Bit of a 'blur'!

http://m.thespec.com/whatson/music/a...hamilton-focus
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #71
charlene

Dave G. is a lovely person. He just won an ECMA (East Coast Music Awards) the other night for Song of The Year: http://www.globalmaritimes.com/ecma+...511/story.html
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #72
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
That would be wonderful if you played, Ron

Something I just read had me flashing back to some recording sessions at Grant Ave studio and a country music stint I was on in Europe mid 90s

Mark Laforme was on lead guitar with us and Larry Murphy on bass.
Mark had played lead solo on a single I co-wrote and later produced with me Doidge. and we released over there. Royalties. It bought the Fisher Price) farm...

He assembled the backup band for Tom soon after and was playing the Hockey Song at the HOF and Maple Leaf Gardens closing ceremonies. Glad he will be there. I doubt he'll recall that stint. Bit of a 'blur'!

http://m.thespec.com/whatson/music/a...hamilton-focus
Funny to hear that Larry Mercey of the Mercey Brothers was Toms buddy... I used to provide daycare - for his sons daughter back in 2003-2005...
(LaForme, 58, had been a fixture on the Hamilton music scene for some 20 years when Connors asked him to join his tour on the recommendation of Larry Mercey of the Canadian country group, The Mercey Brothers. LaForme put together a band for Connors that included Hamilton musicians Steve Petrie, Larry Murphy and Danny Lockwood.)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #73
lighthead2toe

Hey guys.
The "Circle is Small" it seems here in this "circle of friends."
It's very soothing and sure helps make the night's sleep easier.
The phone calls, emails etc. coming in are so wonderful and kind of makes me feel sort of grateful and to give thanks that I was included as apart of that wonderful era.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #74
jj

Quote:
FI used to provide daycare - for his sons daughter
aka, Larry's grand daughter? ...lol

oh, I made that last post from a Smart phone... oops... lots of typos... Dumb phone

Ron, so terrific to hear of the support you and other family and friends of Tom have received ....as I know it, and did a drive by salutation, his place is on Trafalgar Rd. N

* this loss, also brought back memories of an odd tragic local incident involving another of Tom's former guitarist's.... i think i posted this previously...seems like there might be a Stompin Tom song that could have come from Wayne's life

http://miltonsearch.com/2007/09/07/c...man-guitarist/
Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #75
charlene

yes -I worded it that way to note it was a son's kid, not a daughters..lol you ditz.